Looking for a Smallbore rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

eleyboy

Looking for a Smallbore rifle

Post by eleyboy »

hey everyone !!!!!!
I have a team mate that is looking into buying his own smallbore rifle. he is a righty and is looking for a rifle that is fairly new adjustible , accurate and wont break his wallet. everyone please keep youears peeled. :) THANKS
nester

Post by nester »

Is he just starting target shooting, or already have some background?

Well, I think if he had - he would ask differently.

For the starter - any rifle would be more than accurate.
People usually suggest (and I did that way) get used old decent rifle. Mine is: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?p=141301#141301
It cost quite inexpensive (mine in Canada was $700), and it is way more accurate than any starter.

About adjustments - I think that adjustable cheek piece is more than enough. But not mandatory. The more adjustments you have - the more time you'll spent adjusting them, not shooting ;)

Also do not forget some accessories, which could easily double the budget:
shooting jacket, glove (these are very important, I think even more important than the rifle), then sling, mat, sighing scope and scope stand.

Also the book - I was recommended "Ways of the rifle", and this forum as well. Just read everything ;)

When the rifle starts really limiting you - then you could think about upgrade to those aluminum space ships with tons of features, custom barrels, etc. But not before you will constantly make 590-595 points out of 600 with you "simpler" rifle.
eleyboy

Post by eleyboy »

He has been shooting for the last yr and half. he has all of his equipment, (jacket glove pants sling blaw blaw) his skill level is in the 515 area. he is borrowing our clubs 1903. he enjoys this rifle but he is also sharing it with another shooter and he would rather own his own and have pride in his own. he has a ton of potential.
he is kinda hoping for a walther kk300 but this is a hard rifle to find used. but at this point hed prolly b ok with anything tha tis equally good.
tenring

PM sent

Post by tenring »

sent you a PM
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Just a note from limited experience:

A great beginner thru advanced intermediate rifle is the CM-2 Cadet with a 10-12 inch sight extension tube ... these guns are capable and do shoot into the 560's on 3x20 events. Had one of my advanced intermediate kids shoot a 1176 in a 120 shot prone match a few weeks ago with one (A-23s & A-25s)

Next up is a 1912 or 1913, you can find great deals on these on this board if you act fast when they come up for sale
justadude

Post by justadude »

In the US he will most likely find an Anschutz 1807 or 1907 would be the best fit. Even the xx07s can be hard to find as more often you see the xx13s. Depending on his own understanding and available coaching an xx13 can also be too much rifle.

Right now you say he is shooting a club 1903. Is he still at the level where he would benefit from his own personal 1903 while looking for a xx07 or the elusive KK? When the right rifle comes along he should have little problem cashing out the 1903.

I have nothing against the CM-2 but caution that it can be a challenge finding accessories that fit, or if you do they will not necessarily transfer to the next rifle at the next upgrade.

'Dude
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Justadude has a point on the CM-2 Youths (or Cadets as they used to be called). The mods I'd recommend if you were to look at that road:

1) Purchase a new rail ... I got some 887/888 rails from Daisy and removed and routed out the rail gap to fit ... had to lop about 2-1/2 inches off the Daisy rail. Now you can use any "regular" handstop

2) Remove the front sight and install a 10"-12" extension tube. I also had some Daisy 18mm front sights that I removed the dovetail mount, drilled and mounted this direct to the tubes. (I was too cheap to get sight risers made for the rear sights)

The CM-2s are $585 now and with another $50 in parts and a bit of work from you have a very decent smallbore rifle. We have 4 of these with the club now and are very happy with them.

Of course our more advanced shooters use 1912's or 1913's.
eleyboy

Post by eleyboy »

Well the rifle he is using is the clubs.

And i do agree on the CM-2 but once he moves out of this rifle he would prolly have trouble selling it.

anyone kno of an Anschutz xx07 ,12, or 13 for sale?
Quest1

MTGuns

Post by Quest1 »

eleyboy wrote:Well the rifle he is using is the clubs.

And i do agree on the CM-2 but once he moves out of this rifle he would prolly have trouble selling it.

anyone kno of an Anschutz xx07 ,12, or 13 for sale?
If you don't mind buying an older model I would try MT Guns. They have 1807 and 1813s that are probably cheaper then a new one.
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

I don't think there would be any problem selling the CM-2 at some point in the future if he should get one. As for their accuracy, I shot a 1596 with mine in a 160 shot prone match this year and last month finished the season with a 1590. My rifle likes Lapua better than Eley.
I've made a few modifications to mine which is the CM-2 Adult. MEC3 alloy buttplate, Masterclass adjustable cheekpiece, Freeland rail and I'm using plastic apertures in the front sight and I had to size them down with a nail file to get them to fit in the globe but it was very minor effort getting them to fit. I bought an .812 clamp for an extension tube and had to open the clamp uith a brake cylinder hone to get it to fit.
Although I'm currently using my Anschutz rear sight I can tell you that Altius will rethread the rear sight from 9x1m to 9.5x1m to accept any european rear iris.
The trigger on the CM-2 is heavier than most match rifles but still light enough to be competetive.
One down side to the CM-2 Adult model is that only the rear of the receiver is grooved which makes scope mounting an issue for anyone wanting to shoot "any sights" with a scope. The Cadet model has a grooved receiver fore and aft.
One last thing, to use an Anschutz rear sight you will need a shim under one side of the dovetail. I am using a piece of piano wire (treble string) under the left side of the dovetail and it has never failed to hold. Pretty is as pretty does. I posted some pictures of my CM-2 here in the thread Lets See Those Smallbore Rigs on the first page.[/img]

Post by Guest »

I have an Anschutz 1407 for sale. I have the original Anschutz match trigger and an Anschutz 2-stage match trigger.

Geoff
benzy2

Post by benzy2 »

Contact MTguns and see what they have used. He typically has a stock of walther rifles as well as anschutz, martinis, and others. He can fit the right rifle to your needs and your budget. Either email them or give them a call. If you are serious and ready to buy he can get you pictures or the rifles he has, but they aren't posted on the general website.
hp jager

annie 1903

Post by hp jager »

WE just got 5 of the 1903 club rifles. At $1300 each they are a great rifle, and if the money is ok I would go with them. Another rifle that he should look at is the Kimber 82G. the CMP has those at a big discount. we have 5 of those also and they shoot great. They come with sights. CMP price. is 600 for the system, they have some for 400 and say they may have rust on them, its not rust. packing grease only. Rifles that are great are the win 52D and Rem 40X. Some of the best made. My 52 (Best score ever) shot a 200 with 19 x then a 200 with 17 x. The rem are just as good.
remember the XX13, win 52d and rem 40x are around 14 + pounds. the Kimber and xx03 are around 10 pounds. what ever he gets make sure he gets good sights for the rifle.

Rick Smith
Fayetteville/ Fort Bragg Shooting Team
Fayetteville, NC