Moly lubed .22s in Free Pistol?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
normalthing

Moly lubed .22s in Free Pistol?

Post by normalthing »

Has anyone out there experimented with Molybdenum Disulphide or any other substance; impregnating bullet heads in Free pistol or indeed any other .22 calibre event? This is a fairly common practice among fullbore rifle shooters, but has anyone given it a go with .22 long rifle cartridges?
God

molycoated .22 lead bullets?

Post by God »

Moly-coated .22 l.r. lead bullets?
Why?
PFribley

Moly

Post by PFribley »

Go out the barrel with less friction!!!!!!!!!!!!1
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

.22 bullets are usually lubricated already more than adequately for the velocity, relubricating is unnecessary.
God.

.22 r.f. bullets are lubricated from teh ammofactory...

Post by God. »

JamesH wrote:.22 bullets are usually lubricated already more than adequately for the velocity, relubricating is unnecessary.
P. Feeble wrote:.Go out the barrel with less friction!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I think that info (!) form Mr. Feeble belongs in the low-I.Q. category.
PFribley

Moly bullets

Post by PFribley »

Surely someone with the name of "god" must know it all!!!!! Then why ask the question????
redial

Post by redial »

I've heard of it done in smallbore rifle but can't recall what the results might have been. Sounded to me like an experiment just to see if there might be an advantage of any sort. Never heard of anyone trying it with pistol ammo.

Someone not God

Mark
RB6

Post by RB6 »

If you take standard velocity 22 ammo and moly the rounds , that will be defeating the purpose of SV ammo. Moly coating the bullet will surely increase the velocity , making it high speed ammo. A very quick way to ruin costly SV ammo. You will put the bullet into hyper velocity territory and most likely have a serious deterioration of accuracy. Standard velocity is usually a few fps under the speed of sound around 1080 fps @ sea level and 68 F. The manufacturers take particular care in SV ammo production as it almost always gives the best accuracy

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Actually, moly can cause a drop in velocity. I shoot centerfire rifle, and use moly coated bullets to reduce bore wear & fouling. It is quite common to have to increase your powder charge when using moly in order to regain lost velocity. Alternatively, you will see a drop in the point of impact with the same powder charge.

The problem is that the reduced friction allows the bullet to move down the bore at lower gas pressures. The burning rate of the powder is then lower due to the reduced pressure/temperature. Basically, the lower friction from the moly screws up the pressure curve of the powder combustion.

Moly will definitely affect things, and having varying amounts of moly will introduce variations in the point of impact. Unless you can moly coat your bullets VERY uniformly (hard to do with .22 rimfire ammo), you are better off leaving it alone.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Moly will definitely affect things, and having varying amounts of moly will introduce variations in the point of impact. Unless you can moly coat your bullets VERY uniformly (hard to do with .22 rimfire ammo), you are better off leaving it alone.
I had a similar experience in centrefire, when I switched from wax coated 98grn. hbwc's to a teflon coated projectile. It seems the extra "slipperiness" [sp] caused variations in poi, and a decrease in group size, including the odd flyer.