High Standard Victor vs. Ruger MKII

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

1911nut

Post by 1911nut »

I bought a Ruger 22/45 with the replaceable grips as a back-up bullseye gun to my Marvel. I put in a Volquartsen hammer, sear and trigger and a Clark hammer bushing and mounted a 1 inch Ultradot. The grip angle is similar to the 1911 but grip replacement requires a bit of modification to the grips. The Hogue finger groove grips went right on - wood target grips would require some fitting.

The trigger is a crisp 2 1/2lb pull.

Everything totaled the gun came to $650

In the 2 local matches I shot this gun in I shot above my average.

[img][img]http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu15 ... 5MKIII.jpg[/img][/img]
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Yeah what SIGP240 said----ditto----"Doc"
darticus

Post by darticus »

Great looking! I think I'm gonna find the same scope in silver and add it to my MKIII.

Image[/img]
waxman

Post by waxman »

SIGP240- Where did this come from?
Just like you must wipe down any gun a pregant woman has held due to the corrosion problems.
Any references?
jackh

Post by jackh »

Just prior to a layoff from shooting recently, I purchased an ergo grip for Ruger from Randall Fung. I shot it one session on a 6+ inch bull barrel MkII. Never before have I felt all the recoil so straight back with no noticeable muzzle rise. I know one session does not make total proof of anything. But the straight back into my arm recoil was amazing, and all clean timefire targets. After my shoulder heals, I am trying this some more.
jimitee

Ruger vs HS Victor

Post by jimitee »

I started with an MKIII added a volquartsen trigger and red dot matchdot sights. Then bought an older MKII did the same... I finally just purchased a 1980s vintage High Standard Victor. Guess what? It's trigger is incredible! Two magazines and an ultradot sight with left hand grips as a package set me back $600. I think this weapon is heads and shoulders above the Rugers.

Just shot an 837 in my outdoor standard bullseye match. That is way above my past performance.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

If you are going to shoot 2700 matches and your 45 is going to be a 1911 version, then I suggest that you pick up a High Standard military model. I shot a Victor with Herrett trainer grips to approximate the width of my Series 70 45 with standard grips. I even stippled the front grip of the HS to match my stippled 45. I also shot my 45 in centerfire for more practice. I have seen lots of new shooters shoot great scores with a Walther ect only to bomb out in the 45 stage. A lot of those guys were indoor shooters from up north and they shot a 22 and 32 with a grip angle different from the 45. They picked up a 45 and it was like a foreign object to them. Back in the early 90's the MMU were using regular High Standards with McGowan barrels built by Floyd Aikman I don't know what they use now. Hope this helps.
Chris