New Junior 3P Smallbore shooter's Dad

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Absolutely start now and help out the 4-H program, but if you have a chance to take an NRA/CMP/USAS Level-1 Rifle coach class do not pass it up.

That class is written for those with little to no experience all the way to experienced coaches. Every time I sit in on one, or teach one I learn something. You will come out of it ahead of many of your 4-H peers.

Marcus Raab is over in Munich now, but call him or go to the NRA website and look at the one coming up soon ... maybe one is in your area.
http://www.nrahq.org/education/training ... chools.asp
Here is his contact info: (He'll be back the 12th)
Marcus Raab
NRA National Coach Trainer-Rifle
National Rifle Association
Voice: 703.267.1589
MRaab at nrahq dot org
daviscustom

Post by daviscustom »

The closest one is in Colorado Springs, but it is a week long with smallbore, air rifle, and pistol....No way I can do that. I'd love to, but that would require vacation time I don't have. Sept 11-12 is in Union, SC ....14.5 hour drive. Think I better hold out for something closer. Does anyone know what it takes to make them interested in doing a local clinic? What do they charge for the classes?

I'll email Mr. Raab for answers to these questions as well but I thought someone here might know.
daviscustom

Post by daviscustom »

I said in an earlier post that I would post pics of my sons rig once I got it finished. Nothing too fancy, but it will suffice to test out his commitment to the sport.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

I have a 14 year old who shoots indoor 4-position and 100 yard outdoor mini-palma. Two gentlemen on the US Palma team are his coaches and have helped him out immensely. I would recommend you buying " The Way of the Rifle" from Champions Choice or Sinclair's. I don't think there is a better 3-P manual ever written from a technical viewpoint. His coaches recommended it and he loves it. He and I are building him a 6.5X47 Lapua bolt gun on the cheap for NRA Highpower and Palma. One of his coaches told me that getting an AR-15 for NRA matches is the best motivator a kid can ever have. BTW that is a neat palm rest on your rifle.
Chris