grip???

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
keith

grip???

Post by keith »

O.K. my gun (IZH46m)will shot to point of aim over a rest very nicely but when I'm shooting it free hand I have to pay speacil attention that the front sight doesnt pull left causeing me to print left of point of aim. I beleive my grip is my issue where would one normally remove wood to center everthing up when the shot group wants to move left......yes I know i can adjust sights but I believe its more of a grip issue I'm not getting quite a natural hold and when My grip feels right I'll always print left ......My question may not quite make alot of sense but I imagine someone has experienced this same thing.....like I said over a rest I'm dead center with a 6:00 hold @ 8m's ....stand up and fire I will throw 2 out of 5 shots to the left ....I know its in my grip but not quite sure how to attack it and no its not in the trigger pull check that out with a 30min dry fire setion yesterday,. shoot breaks clean .

Thx Keith

Re: grip???

Post by Guest »

keith wrote:O.K. my gun (IZH46m)will shot to point of aim over a rest very nicely but when I'm shooting it free hand I have to pay speacil attention that the front sight doesnt pull left causeing me to print left of point of aim...
The grip could be a tree limb and it shouldn't matter. If the sights are aligned when the sear releases, the shot should be good. Dial your sights for offhand and learn to shoot. After 20K rounds, then refine the grip comfort.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

A grip problem should not pull 2/5 shots left. Also a grip problem should be replicated in dry firing. I suggest it probably is a triggering issue which may be aggravated by the grip.

Do some more shooting and concentrate on a long follow through (a couple of seconds), and see what happens. I.e. where is the gun pointing after every shot ?

Rob.
keith

Post by keith »

I guess I stated the issue incorrectly....When I grip my Bullseye guns or other target guns ,I hold my hand like I'm about to shake someones hand. then I slide the gun into the "U'" made by my hand.......and the thumb and pinky just go for the ride and the middle and index fingers push the pistol straight back into the palm of my hand . then when I raise the gun the sights are in line yes they wobble and yes they will pull if I trigger incorrectly but on my izh -46 I have to make speacil effort with regaurd to the front post staying in the notch ....I have no such trouble with my other target guns...I fell there's to much wood somewhere and have no expereince with treating that issue.....as far as learning to shoot wellllllll......I can shot 275-280 out of 300 in NRA bullseye , have shoot 95-96 on my slow fire targets many times only to blow it in the rapid.....shot on the high school and college rifle teams 3-postion, and have many awards for rifle and pistol shooting in the military......shot IMHSA , and tyhe list goes on.....I'm I a Olypic pistol shooter no but with other guns I can hold the 9 ring on a 10m range.....the pistol groups one hole no problem....this grip is just causeing me some issues ...I may have to refine my hold but in time I think some wood will need to come off ....but I will not do it without help from someone who has already......
lastman

Post by lastman »

Interesting problem you have there Keith.

Your grip should be adjusted so that your hand is positioned centrally into the pistol. That means that the bore line should continue straight through the bones in your wrist and arm.

Secondly the grip should allow you unimpeded access to the trigger. This could be where you're having an issue. You may need to shave off a bit of your grip that sits under your trigger finger to ensure that it is not pressing on your grip and you are pressing the trigger.

If you place the index finger of your left hand across the palm of your right hand and make the same action as when you press your trigger, you will get a feel for those areas. Then you move your left index finger up along your trigger finger to keep assessing the areas on your trigger finger.

The areas where you can feel movement are the areas that you need to shave off your grip.

If your trigger finger is accessing the trigger without pressing on the grip then you have other issue. Things like anticipation can cause similar problems to what you described.

Good luck
keith

Post by keith »

Lastman,
Your statment about the grip locating the pistol centrally with the bore .....thats it.....thats what the grip isint doin for me....I dont even have to put me finger on the trigger .....If I grip the gun just like all may other guns the front sight wants to fall tward the left side of the rear slot....I have to adjust from my normal grip that i use on everthing else....there's to muuc wood somewhere I think the left grip extends to far into my palm ......when I line up evrything squeeze and follow thru the shoot punches center ...but its like I'm wraping my fingers around the grip and pulling the bore in line with my wrist .....I can actually feel unnatural tension ......I have Herrit national match stocks on my Rugers & have no issues.....I have custom stocks on my Browning and have no issues ...I have a larger hand 7.625 from tip of middle finger to end of palm ....I may just have to get used to that grip...and at some point I'll just have to remove some wood and hope all falls into a more natural line
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

lastman wrote:That means that the bore line should continue straight through the bones in your wrist and arm.
I'm sorry but, even though I know very little about grip modification, I know that this is incorrect.

The bore line should continue straight to your eye. Unless your eye is on your shoulder that will not be in line with the bones in your arm.
thruxtoncamshaft

Post by thruxtoncamshaft »

I have to agree with David Levine. I shoot right handed / left eye. I am also not a contortionist but if sights are aligned when the sear breaks---10. Thruxton.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Not sure why your getting all this flak about adjusting the grip so that your sights are aligned when in your shooting position, its a pretty straight forward question.

Sent you a PM.
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

I've got an MG1E where the grip can be adjusted for sideways "rotation".
I can compensate if I feel the sight alignment doesn't feel right: very useful. I wish it had a greater adjustment range! I can compensate by moving my head to get the sights right without twisting my wrist, but I don't think this is good for my shooting. I want to feel comfortable and "natural" when shooting.

I don't believe this is a matter of moving the barrel parallel in relation to the grip or your arm, but twisting. It should be quite feasible to adjust the shape of the grip to compensate for this. It would mean changing the cross-section of the grip. The Izzy grip has plenty of wood, so it's the right gun for doing this sort of thing.
I have an Izzy, and my personal warning regarding grip mods is don't be tempted to make it to "round" (done that!). You don't want it to rotate in your hand, so leave some "corners" to make the grip secure.
Tallahassee

Post by Tallahassee »

Agree with above post.

Don't do too much rounding, sanding.

Leave the front third finger wide and flat, backside reasonably wide and flat. Otherwise, with too much rounding, you might end up with a "broom stick".
keith

Post by keith »

I havent done anything yet. But I will keep it squared off when I do..I gonna shoot it awhile and see how things progress ....but for right now I think I need to take materal off of the front and the right side and maybe add a touch to the left at the rear ...but like I said its still stock and will be for awhile longer
Lu

Post by Lu »

OK, I'm totally new here and don't know much - but aren't there professional grip-makers?
When I was shooting Air and Sports Pistol in Germany, we always had a guy make our grips fit our hands perfectly - he pretty much did all the grips for our club.