SCAM ALERT

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

JKT

SCAM ALERT

Post by JKT »

Make sure you know who you are dealing with. I ran an add for a Pardini grip and received a e-mail telling me that he had one for sale for $150.00 including freight. I asked for a picture but he was unable to supply one. So in good faith I sent the money Western Union he picked it up and never sent the grip Scammed!
The scammers name is BRIAN MORGAN from London his e-mail is
brianmorgan200@gmail.com I have other info on him and he even called me twice on a cell phone (restricted number) to talk about the details.
If he did it to me he will do it to you so beware of people like this.
william

Post by william »

There is a way to at least partially protect yourself: Paypal. Before you jump all over me that they are a part of Ebay and everybody knows(?!?) that Ebay is "anti-gun," observe how many thousands of gun related listings there are on Ebay. And you can use Paypal for all of them.
weilers

Post by weilers »

Ebay expressly prohibits the sale of guns and ammunition on their site. Paypal is a entity of Ebay, Inc. Parts, accessories, and sundries apart from serialized assemblies and barrels are fair game and are generally listed with Ebay's blessing. If the item can be shipped to you without license or permit, odds are that it probably can be purchased on Ebay and/or paid for through Paypal.

Over the years, I've purchased dozens of firearms-related items through Ebay and/or Paypal: everything from speedloaders for a revolver to Centra front sight inserts to my Free Position buttplate. It has offered me a great place to buy supplies I couldn't find anywhere else, as well as the opportunity to shop around and find the best deals whenever and wherever possible.

After accumulating hundreds of positive feedback points and stars, I can definately say that, when one takes the proper safety precautions, Ebay can be as safe as purchasing from your favorite supplier. The best thing I can say is, while I'm sorry for this experience, there are rules in place to prevent this occurrence. The rules exist for a reason: to protect everyone in the transaction from situations such as these.

From reading hundreds of the Ebay and Paypal E-mails over the years, I can say a few things I've learned:

1. Use the feedback mechanism, it's there for a reason! You have the opportunity to instantly read the comments made by virtually every counter-party to come into contact with this individual; do so.

2. Be weary of people with little to no feedback. If this person doesn't have much experience on the site, take that into account when making a purchase.

3. Use Paypal EVERY TIME. It's a free service to buyers, it gives the seller an instant payment, and it only releases your shipping and E-mail addresses to the counterparty.

4. Ebay (and Paypal) isn't anti-gun, it's anti-restricted product. Ebay doesn't want to participate in transactions requiring outside authorization. Ebay and Paypal's rules restrict the sales of guns, ammunition, tobacco, and alcohol. Over the years, I've used my Paypal debit card to purchase fine, quality examples of all of these stated products without problem, just not on the Ebay website. Just like anything else in this World, it's their shop, their rules.

Over the years, I've bought close to a thousand different items on Ebay. I've been shopping on Ebay since the beginning and have never had a bad experience. It's not a be all or end all, but it is a nice addition to a basic web search for items.
Kscott_NZ

Post by Kscott_NZ »

Yup, +1 for PayPal, it's very handy for international purchases.

Living in New Zealand I've picked up a few things off EBay and private purchases off forums and used PayPal for all of them, with zero problems.
Only10x

sale

Post by Only10x »

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I have known no finer group of people than those I have met in my 15+ of competitive shooting! we are a trusting bunch because we are an honest community. Its unfortunate though unrealistic to expect everyone will carry themselves with the level of character we have come to expect.
with that being said, I wont deal with out of country transactions unless I am sure of deal and covered all the details with the buyer/seller.

paypal at this point is the best we have outside of CCards.
Money orders are too much trouble if the deal goes south.

what you lost isnt exactly pocket change, but it is still a cheap lesson for you and anyone reading this thread.

best of luck to you and yours.
Only10x
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

Assuming this Brian Morgan character is from London England, I'd suggest contacting some forum members from the UK to see if they know him. If they do they may be able to give you some insight into the man, or the situation.

Brian
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Brian James wrote:Assuming this Brian Morgan character is from London England, I'd suggest contacting some forum members from the UK to see if they know him.
I've never heard of him I'm afraid.
robf

Post by robf »

Brian James wrote:Assuming this Brian Morgan character is from London England, I'd suggest contacting some forum members from the UK to see if they know him. If they do they may be able to give you some insight into the man, or the situation.

Brian
There is a mechanism for alerting UK airgun forum admins, and this has now been done.

JTK, pm me any other details you have, either here on at my place.
Sc0

Post by Sc0 »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune... Hopefully this will be made right...

I have done many transactions and all have been made with other forms of payment other than Western Union. Typically, scammers use Western Union religiously when the intent is to steal. (Safer forms of payment: check, money order, Paypal.)
PFribley

Scam

Post by PFribley »

Those folks tried to do the same on me. How do they get hand gun parts in the UK when no hand gun are allowed there. That was a give away for me. I advertised for Pardini 32cal mags. I also asked for pics. No answer or some vague answer.I doubt if that is the guys real name. Sometimes you have to look further than the end of your nose!!!! Sorry you got scammed!!!!!

Re: Scam

Post by Guest »

PFribley wrote:Those folks tried to do the same on me. How do they get hand gun parts in the UK when no hand gun are allowed there. That was a give away for me. I advertised for Pardini 32cal mags. I also asked for pics. No answer or some vague answer.I doubt if that is the guys real name. Sometimes you have to look further than the end of your nose!!!! Sorry you got scammed!!!!!
Handguns are allowed in Channel Isles, Isle of Man and Northern Ireland, also a lot of UK pistol shooters still own pistols but store and use them in Europe.