izh-46m problems

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bigaaron

izh-46m problems

Post by bigaaron »

I just purchased a new Baikal IZH-46m new from Straight Shooters
To zero the gun I had to move the rear sight almost all the way to the left as the gun was shooting about 2" or more to the right at about 30 feet. When looking down the barrel thru the rear sight the middle of the rear blade is noticeable off to the left. Is this common for this gun? ( All of the pellets group good though) just have to adjust the rear sight way to the left. Since I have this problem. I was looking on gunbroker and noticed some other pistols for sale. My box does not have the green label, my owner manual does not look like any of the ones I saw, and one guy even talks about an acceptance certificate with his gun, that I do not have. Is my gun some kind of factory 2nd or something?. Thanks Aaron

Post by Guest »

> I just purchased a new Baikal IZH-46m... To zero the
> gun I had to move the rear sight almost all the way...

It's new, return and exchange it for one that is right.
paulo

Post by paulo »

I don't think it is a second, never heard of it.
The rear blade is attached with two screws, they can be loosened and allow for the rear site lateral reposition, try that, while also bringing the adjustment knob to a more centered position, and zero the gun again.
I think that once you reposition the rear blade you will be okay.
I had to do the same with mine when I first got it, it shoots very well, and much better than I can.
Good Luck.
bigaaron

Post by bigaaron »

Thanks Guest and Paulo for you response, But I am not having a problem zeroing the gun or running out of adjustment. It's just that when I get it zeroed the center of the notch in the rear blade is about 1/4 of an inch or
so to the left of the center line of the bore. I would think it should end up a lot closer to the center when zoroed. I did talk to Straight Shooters
and they told me they would see if they could fix it or send me another one. As far as the green lable is concerned, he said they were being imported thru another supplier and were not coming with the green label on them. I also found the acceptance certificate deep in the owners manual. Thanks again Aaron
paulo

Post by paulo »

The back blade on mine is also off set to the left about 1/5 of an inch from center line of the barrel, at least.
To me it doesn't matter because line of sight obeys straight lines, so being to one side or the other doesn't matter if the distance to the target stays constant, and it does for air pistol 32.808 ft.
For plinking or silhoute then it could be an issue.
From a conversation with other IZH 46M owners I found out, but can offer no proof, that each barrel of the IZH46M is unique, it is straightened individually, and their lengths vary from gun to gun, as they are adjusted for accuracy.
Coming from a former tractor factory they look great and shoot even better.
Attachments
Off line sight projection
Off line sight projection
sights-off-center-projectio.gif (5.64 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
Last edited by paulo on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robinhoods

IZH

Post by robinhoods »

WOW !
Glad I bought a used K58 I don't have any problems like that. Only thing is it shoots about 460 or 470 fps.
bingd

Post by bingd »

paulo wrote:The back blade on mine is also off set to the left about 1/5 of an inch from center line of the barrel, at least.
To me it doesn't matter because line of sight obeys straight lines, so being to one side or the other doesn't matter if the distance to the target stays constant, and it does for air pistol 32.808 ft.
For plinking or silhoute then it could be an issue.
From a conversation with other IZH 46M owners I found out, but can offer no proof, that each barrel of the IZH46M is unique, it is straightened individually, and their lengths vary from gun to gun, as they are adjusted for accuracy.
Coming from a former tractor factory they look great and shoot even better.
the thread has gotton a little off topic ( IZH maint) but I will continue off topic addressing the sights, blade and hoz and vert. adjustment.

The first thing one does when getting a new shooting device with adjustable sights is to determine the FULL range if "clicks" both hoz and vert then click to the center point of both.

This way you have the full range of adjustment hoz and vert. This is true with air, SB, HP, etc. Even with scopes.

(Then and only then if you have another adjustment such as the sight blade do you visually center the blade/notch on the sight mechanism.

Sight in at a short distance: air 10M, SB 50ft, HP 50yds. That with get you on paper at the longer distances if you do your job.)

If your barrel is dinged/bent or binding in its own mounting structure you have room to adjust with out maxing out towards either adjustment.

And yes on the IZH 46 there is a spring the pushes up the rear sight. It seens to have a good steady force even at the upper reaches of the vert adjustment. Some spring tension systems tend to lose pressure at the upper levels thus a weak "hold".

One last question Paulo: Where is the spring located? It seems mine has none; I adjusted both windage and elevation to its mid-point, however, the elevation base is loosely down; no spring tension is pushing it up; I have to turn my windage clockwise just to hold the elevation base at its mid-point setting :(
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

bigaaron wrote:

As far as the green lable is concerned, he said they were being imported thru another supplier and were not coming with the green label on them. I also found the acceptance certificate deep in the owners manual.
The newer IZH-46M that are coming out of the factory are stamped MP-46M and has Air Venturi stamped on their receivers.