where to go in Vegas?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

stevep

where to go in Vegas?

Post by stevep »

Hi, newbie Brit here. We are planning a trip to Vegas soon.

I know there are places where we can go and hire guns and shoot them in a range - does anyone have any recommendations about which ones are good for absolute newbies to pistol shooting?

Also, is it worth trying to buy target shooting stuff in Vegas? It doesn't seem like the sort of place to buy a match air rifle, but perhaps I'm mistaken?

Thanks in advance. If I can reciprocate with information about London I'm happy to.

Steve
Quest1

Re: where to go in Vegas?

Post by Quest1 »

stevep wrote:Hi, newbie Brit here. We are planning a trip to Vegas soon.

I know there are places where we can go and hire guns and shoot them in a range - does anyone have any recommendations about which ones are good for absolute newbies to pistol shooting?

Also, is it worth trying to buy target shooting stuff in Vegas? It doesn't seem like the sort of place to buy a match air rifle, but perhaps I'm mistaken?

Thanks in advance. If I can reciprocate with information about London I'm happy to.

Steve
You didn't specify what type of pistol shooting you where interested in doing and what type of target equipment are you interested in buying?

I would suggest just Googling Gun Dealers in Las Vegas and it will comeup with a list of Gun Dealers and ranges most cater to the AR crowd. I would be surprised if you find a dealer in Las Vegas that deals in match airguns, but if you go through your webpage search you might find one.
stevep

Post by stevep »

cheers Quest1,

I've tried the google thing, and there are several places to shoot pistol in Vegas, I was hoping that someone could recommend a specific establishment.

Type of pistol - anything which goes "bang". We've never shot handguns ever, so anything will be an experience. However, since my wife "doesn't like guns" I don't want to go anywhere where there's an over emphasis on shooting "humanoid" targets. It will be her first introduction to shooting, and a bunch of macho guys talking about shooting people (or animals - especially animals ) will be a turn off for her. I'm thinking a bit of .22 pistol for her, and Nevada seems the perfect place for me to try an Winchester underlever rifle. I'm on a bit of a Jack Reacher trip at the moment, so presumably I'll be able to try out a Glock or two.

Target stuff - it was just worth a try. Again, judging from Google people don't go to Vegas to shop for target match kit. I was just hoping that someone local might know different. If I see a bargain I'll grap it, and I am (sort of) in the market for a pcp match rifle, and a half decent match pistol. They will make better souvenirs than a teatowel from Circus Circus.

Regards

Steve
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

Hi Steve -
I really wish I could help you with specific recommendations, but I can't. A lot of the gun shops/ranges have web-sites, and it would probably be well worth your while to correspond with them via email to see what sort of "atmosphere" they have. I imagine that the ones that offer the chance to fire a full-auto machinegun are also the ones where you get the strutting types and the human silhouettes...probably guaranteed to not make a good impression on your wife.

These people seem to have a very nice, clean, well-designed range:
http://www.americanshooters.com/shootingRange/

Also, you may want to inquire about the rental arrangements. Some I saw on-line provided for a fixed (and wholly inadequate) amount of ammunition with a rental, as opposed to treating the gun rental and ammunition purchase as separate transactions.

I think you're correct in assuming that Las Vegas isn't the best place to search for a target-quality air rifle. In the US, precision shooting is a very very small subset of shooting in general, and air rifles/pistols are a very small subset of guns in general. Since it's such a small market most gun dealers have never even seen a high-end PCP or SSP. The precision market and the general gun market seem to be fairly insulated from each other.
Quest1

Post by Quest1 »

stevep wrote:cheers Quest1,

I've tried the google thing, and there are several places to shoot pistol in Vegas, I was hoping that someone could recommend a specific establishment.

Type of pistol - anything which goes "bang". We've never shot handguns ever, so anything will be an experience. However, since my wife "doesn't like guns" I don't want to go anywhere where there's an over emphasis on shooting "humanoid" targets. It will be her first introduction to shooting, and a bunch of macho guys talking about shooting people (or animals - especially animals ) will be a turn off for her. I'm thinking a bit of .22 pistol for her, and Nevada seems the perfect place for me to try an Winchester underlever rifle. I'm on a bit of a Jack Reacher trip at the moment, so presumably I'll be able to try out a Glock or two.

Target stuff - it was just worth a try. Again, judging from Google people don't go to Vegas to shop for target match kit. I was just hoping that someone local might know different. If I see a bargain I'll grap it, and I am (sort of) in the market for a pcp match rifle, and a half decent match pistol. They will make better souvenirs than a tea towel from Circus Circus.

Regards

Steve
If your interested in getting a PCP match rifle. I would get in contact with someone like Scott or one of the other dealers in this country and a arrange for a rifle to be delivered to one of the hotels you'll be staying. As far as your girl shooting you can get any number of different bullseye targets available at one of the gun shop/ranges. I would also suggest something in the low caliber range like a 22 cal or nothing more then a 9mm for someone that has never shot a pistol. Large caliber guns may intimidate someone in the beginning. A number of the gun shop/ranges may also have instructors available to teach your girl.

Post by Guest »

He's bringing his daughter too?
sskats

Post by sskats »

Consider Frontsight. It is designed around defensive pistol shooting, but they are running incredible specials this week. $49 US per person for a two day course. You can rent equipment and purchase ammo on site. Go to www.frontsight.com for more details. This rate will not last more than a couple of days.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Most of the ranges that rent out firearms (at least the ones I've been too) are pretty testosterone heavy, the big thing is the rental of full auto's. Personally I don't think it's a great introduction to target shooting for someone who's squeamish about firearms.

The Gun Store does have kids and ladies packages look at the bottom of this page. http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/gunrental.html

Another is Las Vegas Gun Range http://www.lasvegasgunrange.net/ or Discount Firearms http://www.discountfirearmsinc.com/Rentals.htm.

None that I've ever seen are dedicated ISSF type target shooting, they may exist but I don't know of any. They all are sort of geared towards fantasy, and it seems the fantasy that is most popular is blowing someone away with a machine gun.

Just saw the post above and courses such as Frontsight are a very good deal and you will actually learn something.
grog

Navada shooring

Post by grog »

Look into front sight as the one person recomended, it is very profesional, and while it is focused on self defence it does a very good job of making it fun and comfortable to new shooters. Have attended a 4 day defencive class and enjoyed it very much. They will work with you at the level you are at.
Matt wilson