patching gap at palm/wrist/grip/palm-shelf

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

patching gap at palm/wrist/grip/palm-shelf

Post by seamaster »

When I grip my LP10 anatomic grip, there is a slight gap between my palm/wrist and anatomic grip/palm-shelf.

I reviewed some pictures of ISSF shooters, I noticed that area is epoxy puttied by many shooters.

If I stay within the legal limit, and not putty beyond my wrist skin line, Is putty that area significant in stabilizing my shots?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Is putty that area significant in stabilizing my shots?
Is it significant? I would say no.
cdcmia

Post by cdcmia »

I found patching that gap between palm shelf and vertical shelf at wrist quite significant in reducing fine wobble.

Gross wobble, no difference. Fine wobble when you are staring at front sight intensely, quite significant. It is a wrist crutch for fine wobble.
peterz

Post by peterz »

Thank you, seamaster, for asking and also cdcmia for the answer. I've been wondering the exact same thing!

pz
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Can you put some pictures up of what you mean?
paulo

Post by paulo »

I believe the idea is full dynamic contact of hand an pistol grip, dynamic as to account for muscle pressure during your gripping.
Some points will be neutral, some will receive positive pressure, others will offer resistance to hand pressure, balancing them all is the key in my interpretation.
I use putty on some of the gap. The biggest improvement came from the extension of the palm shelf, to reflect the bend on the under side of your hand right before the wrist.
Attachments
Air Palm Shelf
Air Palm Shelf
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

When I say, putty vertical shelf and palm shelf, this is what I meant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFAZA982 ... re=related

stop on 00:28 and 4:00 to look at their back grip putty.
lastman

Post by lastman »

I've been using my LP10 with the same gap.

Haven't noticed any difference between having the gap and not having the gap.

It doesn't effect how you hold the pistol, so I just left it as is.

Good luck
paulo

Post by paulo »

Seems some people like extra support/contact
Attachments
Top Support
Top Support
grip shelf.jpg (30.21 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
Packard

Post by Packard »

Do an experiment. Use some double faced tape and some thick cardboard to fill the gap and try it out. It will take only minutes to do and it will be easily reversible.
cdcmia

Post by cdcmia »

The gap has to be filled in NATURAL ANATOMIC perfect fitting. Only very neutral space filling putty, not distorting hand's anatomic shape should be used for support.

Card board will push you grip out of line, especially at the back of the grip.
Packard

Post by Packard »

cdcmia wrote:The gap has to be filled in NATURAL ANATOMIC perfect fitting. Only very neutral space filling putty, not distorting hand's anatomic shape should be used for support.

Card board will push you grip out of line, especially at the back of the grip.
OK. I understand. I think though that for testing purposes this would work and tell him if he should proceed with the putty process.
peterz

Post by peterz »

A very easy temporary piece can be made by shaping some duct seal putty. True, it won't dry or harden, but you can put a little SaranWrap over it to protect your skin. Another alternative is to use a two-component epoxy which will harden, but first to put the same kind of plastic foil wrap between the putty and the wood of the grip. Once it's hard, peel off the foil and replace it with some double-sided tape to hold the filler in place.

If you're lucky enough to live where Blu-Tack is sold (Great Britain for example), that will also make a good material to hold the temporary putty piece in place.

I've just been through the exercize, so this is all based on a bit of experience.