Marvel Slide Stop Notch

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Misny

Marvel Slide Stop Notch

Post by Misny »

I'm still getting the bugs worked out of my Marvel Conversion, Unit #1. Really the bugs are with the magazines. While trying out some new magazines, occasionally, the slide stop would lock the slide back on the last shot. I finally have all the magazines altered to prevent that problem, but the slide notch already is buggered. I am going to dress it up with a file. Is there anything I should know before I start filing? Is there a gunsmith who makes a steel insert slide stop notch that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
jackh

Post by jackh »

My Marvel Precision unit has "slide stopped" two times because I forgot and used a regular unaltered magazine. Each incident left a small dent in the slide at the hold open notch. It still works but it definitely will have a limit. Up to a point of more damage, I see no reason why a restoring/reshaping of the notch won't work. When used as intended, as a manual hold open, there is no science to the notch at all. So file away the dents when it fails to manually hold.

I see no reason other than delicate fitting required why an Advantage Arms insert could not be cut into the MP slide. I believe there might be two pistolsmiths who have added a steel piece of their own design.

Call me nuts if you like, but quite frankly, since all my other self loading target pistols lock back, I believe that the no last shot hold back MP can be a safety issue, or at least a distraction leading to a safety issue or rules violation. Of course there are those who load dummy 6th rounds in the mag. To me that is another distraction from normal. Oh and the slide closing on the empty breech can't be the best thing, not to mention a dry fired 6th shot on the breech with no dummy.

That is why I really appreciate the Advantage Arms/Bob Marvel units. I did have one stop insert come loose on an AA unit while it was in the Ransom rest. Despite no screws, and the front screw hole ear broken off and rattling around in the dust cover area, the slide stop still functioned with the large remaining piece still riding the rails. I didn't discover the break until I got home. Both AA and BM said to "loctite" new pieces in place. No problem since. I have two AA units with BM barrels, and one complete BM unit, #10.
Misny

Post by Misny »

The slide release doesn't come all the way up in the notch, so it had rounded off the bottom a little. It looks like I'll try to dress up the notch and maybe see if I can't modify the slide release to come up in the notch fully.

You are lucky to have the AA conversions. I ordered a Bob Marvel Custom Pro over a year ago. I've only received hopeful, but unfulfilled comments when I contacted them. It looks like the big problem is that AA is trying to sell the company and hasn't produced any 1911 conversions in some time.
penman53

Marvel slide lock

Post by penman53 »

I don't believe that the Marvel conversions should have the slide lock back on the last round. From I understand it is too hard on the soft aluminum slide. If you look on the Marvel precision website the say the same thing.

Mark, Edmond OK
Misny

Re: Marvel slide lock

Post by Misny »

penman53 wrote:I don't believe that the Marvel conversions should have the slide lock back on the last round. From I understand it is too hard on the soft aluminum slide. If you look on the Marvel precision website the say the same thing.

Mark, Edmond OK
If you re-read my posts, I am aware that the slide isn't supposed to lock back after the last round with a Marvel Precision Unit 1. The problem is some mags, require modification to prevent the problem. Even some that came modified still continue to occasionally lock the slide after the last round and require a little more filing of that little piece on the side of the follower. It doesn't take too many oops, before the notch is damaged in the aluminum slide. I do manually lock back the slide to keep it open. BTW, I dressed up the notch with a needle file and after a little Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black, it looks and operates very well.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

[quoteCall me nuts if you like, but quite frankly, since all my other self loading target pistols lock back, I believe that the no last shot hold back MP can be a safety issue, or at least a distraction leading to a safety issue or rules violation. [/quote]

There's about 60 million Walther GSP's that don't lock back on the last and

about 30 million IZH 35's that don't lock back, guess it can't be that much of an issue

hill987

marvel

Post by hill987 »

After looking at all the post about marvel 22's and all the problems and I also watched at the regional match the guy beside me having problems with his, (would not load the first round) I am sure now I will never buy one , ,. I will keep my s&w 41 and HS 106 forever I have never had any problems with these two.
ciscovt

Marvel

Post by ciscovt »

I have a Marvel that I bought in 3/06. I think I now have over 15,000 rounds through it. It gave me trouble after about 7,000 rounds but a quick trip to Marvel fixed it and it continues to preform, dare I say, Marvelously?

cisco
Art

Post by Art »

I read on another forum that a guy described how he fit a steel slide stop insert from Advantage Arms into a Marvel Precision unit.

I also read that Advantage Arms stopped selling the steel insert, you could check with AA to see if they'll sell you a replacement part for "your AA conversions unit"......

I've got a couple of Marvel Precision Unit 1s with over well 10 K rounds combinded - I just count the rounds fired. I wish they locked back but it's a minor issue for me.
ArmyMule

Post Subject

Post by ArmyMule »

I find no issue with the slide not locking back as I just dry fire on the sixth and have eliminated any hesitation on the fifth shot by using this as a training technique and am delighted with the results, Try it ,you may like it. Good Shooting bill Horton
Isabel1130

Re: Post Subject

Post by Isabel1130 »

ArmyMule wrote:I find no issue with the slide not locking back as I just dry fire on the sixth and have eliminated any hesitation on the fifth shot by using this as a training technique and am delighted with the results, Try it ,you may like it. Good Shooting bill Horton
Bill, I did not realize you were a USMA grad. My husband is class of 80. Hope to meet you in person one of these days. PM me. Isabel
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I have fpound the Ciener magazines to function perfectly with my old Marvel unit which is the same as the current model#1.
Misny

Post by Misny »

TonyT wrote:I have fpound the Ciener magazines to function perfectly with my old Marvel unit which is the same as the current model#1.
Did you have to modify the Ciener mags so the slide will not lock back after the last round is fired?
earplug

Ciener Magazines in a Marvel

Post by earplug »

I bought some Ciener's from Midway that do not lock the Marvels slide back.
I really like them. You might need the feed lips smoothed out.
Plus drill some holes so you can see how many are loaded it you wish.