Hammerli 280 front sight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brakarzac

Hammerli 280 front sight

Post by brakarzac »

Hi Guys,

I have my Hammerli 280, but I have just found out the sight radius to slightly too long for ISSF. Can anyone suggest how to fix this and fast? Its about 2mm out.

Cheers
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I cannot be specific about the 280 but this isn't that unusual.

As a quick solution you could try glueing a piece of 2-3mm thick material to the side of the front sight nearest to you. It shouldn't take too long to cut/file a suitable piece.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

David Levene wrote:I cannot be specific about the 280 but this isn't that unusual.

As a quick solution you could try glueing a piece of 2-3mm thick material to the side of the front sight nearest to you. It shouldn't take too long to cut/file a suitable piece.
Thanks David,

I will have a fiddle this weekend.

Cheers
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Just measured my 280, and it has exactly 219,5mm. I would be VERY surprised if a 280 with factory sights was over the limit. I'd take a hard look at that front sight and compare it to the factory version.
consumer protection laws

Post by consumer protection laws »

If the 280 was sold new to you as a ISSF 25m pistol, it is the retailer's problem, not yours. Most counties have consumer protection laws of the type that includes 'suitable for the purpose' and sight radius maximum is part of 25m ISSF
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Tycho wrote:...I would be VERY surprised if a 280 with factory sights was over the limit...
After watching LOTS of pistols go through EC, I would not.
This is a recurrent problem with a number of european pistols: they do not seem to worry about exceeding the sight radius.
TB

Post by TB »

I know for a fact that this is a problem for some 280's. If the rear sight is adjustet to hit where you aim eg. rapid fire section in sport and CF, the sight radius is too long. If the rear sight on the other hand is adjusted for the precision stage eg. sub 6 hold, the sight radius is within specifications
FredB

not always

Post by FredB »

TB wrote:I know for a fact that this is a problem for some 280's. If the rear sight is adjustet to hit where you aim eg. rapid fire section in sport and CF, the sight radius is too long. If the rear sight on the other hand is adjusted for the precision stage eg. sub 6 hold, the sight radius is within specifications
Mine is adjusted for center hold and measures 219.5mm just like Tycho's. I doubt there is a 2mm variation due to rear sight movement, and I also doubt there is significant variation in the front sight attachment hole placement. What seems more likely to vary would be the front sight length. Does the OP have an alternate front sight to try?

HTH,
FredB
TB

Re: not always

Post by TB »

FredB wrote:I doubt there is a 2mm variation due to rear sight movement, and I also doubt there is significant variation in the front sight attachment hole placement.

HTH,
FredB
Likely or not likely is not an option, it is a fact. I have seen several where it is so, not to say that all have that problem.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I see at least two explanations:
a) A lot of people put aftermarket front sights on their 280, and some shops did that right out of the box. Can't say who would have measured those...
b) I think (don't have one currently, so can't verify that) that other Hammerli (and perhaps other brands, too) front sights can be mounted on the 280, but weren't really made for it.

Back when I started shooting, the "clever" guys would put Walther OSP front sights on their GSP to get some mm more sight radius, so the second explanation is something that was seen before (that works with the Pardini and some types of the FAS, too). As said, I can't imagine that Hammerli would deliver a not ISSF conform factory configuration - I don't have a very high opinion of their quality during the 1990s, but they aren't that stupid. And I remember that we had a "Eidgenössisches Schützenfest" in 2000 (big national event that is held only every five years) where the equipment control went totally overboard and started checking every John Doe's pistol under ISSF rules, and they actually uncovered a ton of "factory made" problems, but nothing like that. So, not to quote the Mythbusters, IMHO "implausible".
ruig

Post by ruig »

Measured AW93.
212mm. Hm.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Tycho wrote:As said, I can't imagine that Hammerli would deliver a not ISSF conform factory configuration - I don't have a very high opinion of their quality during the 1990s, but they aren't that stupid.
I don't see why not.

I had a GSP which, from new, had a sight radius that was too long.
ruig

Post by ruig »

Measured SP20.
217mm... Hm
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Tycho wrote:I see at least two explanations:
a) A lot of people put aftermarket front sights on their 280, and some shops did that right out of the box. Can't say who would have measured those...
b) I think (don't have one currently, so can't verify that) that other Hammerli (and perhaps other brands, too) front sights can be mounted on the 280, but weren't really made for it...
implausable or not, a number of pistols (not only H 280) came to AUS with sight radius in excess of 220mm.

there are pistols in which the front sight can work its way forward but:
- some, even with the sight returned as far back as it will go went over 220mm, and
- some with the sight base screwed down in a locating hole were over 220mm.

it is not the type of thing many shooters will check and can be very frustrating to arrive at EC and not have your new, ISSF-specific pistol passed (my new Morini has been thoroughly checked before its first competition this weekend - looks bad if one of the Judges has a pistol that doesn't pass :) ).

Post by Guest »

What is the proper way to take the measurement. Is it from the rear most part of the rear sight blade to the flat edge of the front sight???

What is the maximum distance allowed by the rule??
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Anonymous wrote:What is the proper way to take the measurement. Is it from the rear most part of the rear sight blade to the flat edge of the front sight???

What is the maximum distance allowed by the rule??
actually the rear of the sight blade to the highest part of the front sight
ISSF 8.9 for 25m pistols is 220mm

Post by Guest »

Many thanks Spencer
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Had a look at two 280s today.

Both were fine when set for the precision stage.

The sight radius on both was too long when set for rapid.

Post by Guest »

Using Spencer's parameters for taking the measurement, my 280 is one full mm too long using a deep six hold. Wow, what an eye opener! I have three 208 models, a 215 and like my Pardini SP22, they are all within specs.

Is 220mm the same max length for centerfire guns??
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:Is 220mm the same max length for centerfire guns??
Yes