Rifle won't shoot

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

justadude

Post by justadude »

Hi Charlotte,

I am a bit of a late comer to this thread but I will toss in my two cents. Recalling other threads regarding your rifle I am sorry to see that you are having such problems. A rifle that shoots well is a joy to own and work with, one that does not will test every fiber in your soul. My suspicion is your soul fibers are feeling pretty tested.

Following the thread, you have looked at the usual suspects, bedding screws tight, trigger tight, sights tight and repeatable. While one person mentioned the possiblity of weak springs causing light or erratic hammer strikes that does not happen often on a Match 54 action. Every once in awhile you might hear of a Match 54 breaking a firing pin but only rarely. Swapping out firing pins should not have affected anything either. (Again, pretty simple system, very little to go wrong.)

While I have never seen a case this dramatic (tosses 7s) I have seen the occasional lead buildup in the barrel. It is smooth and shiny so does not really show up as fouling per se. With my own barrels I clean them routinely (every 100 to 150 rounds) with typical solvent (Hoppes, Match Winner etc.) then every 500 to 1000 rounds I will clean with a water based cleaner. Interestingly, I can have and apparently clean barrel with the oil based solvent then still get plenty more "dirt" with the water based stuff. (If you are intersted in giving it a try PM me for more details) I will say, from what you describe I am not optimistic that would solve the problem.

I am focusing on the part where you say you get soot streaks on the cases. For a single shot bolt action rifle this is very unusual. SK is a good quality ammunition so I would not expect significant case variability or small cases. I have seen different boxes from the same lot of ammo shoot differently but it sounds like you have shot this ammo throught several different rifles and the only place it does not shoot is in your 1907, so strike that possibility.

You mention taking the rifle to Chuck Gartland, which had I weighed in earlier would have been my recommendation about 10 posts back. Take a few of the soot streaked cases with you when you go. He might find them interesting. (You can look at the relation between the hammer strike and the soot streak to see where the chamber might not be right.) (Also, if the soot and hammer strike are always in the same location that does identify the chamber as the issue, if it moves around then it may be the chamber, or it may be something else.) Hopefully Chuck can find the gremlin(s) and exorcise them. From what you describe he might recommend the barrel be removed, the back 3/4" cut off rechambered and reset. (You used to be able to do this with Anschutz barrels I assume you still can.) This a also a great opportunity to get the head space tightened up to about the minimum possible clearance.

So I have ambled on here for a few paragraphs to finally say, good idea, take it to Chuck. Good luck with it, you seem to be trying very hard with it, you deserve a break in your favor.

Cheers,
'Dude
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

I have never heard and seen a good barrel that goes from one day to another from good groups to scores in the seven. The soot streaked cases are not so good, but SK and Lapua is more dirty ammo then Eley.

There must be really something broken or the the ammo is total bad.

Just my two cents.

Best regards from Germany

Frank
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

I took the rifle out yesterday afternoon and fired 5 rounds and the soot was between 8 & 9 o'clock relative to the firing pin strike.
On a side note, I looked at the bore of the Anschutz and CM-2 with a friends bore scope and I was amazed to see a nicer looking bore in the CM-2. If you've ever seen the borescope video of a Lilja barrel, that's what the CM-2 bore looks like. Ugly on the outside and pretty on the inside.

Post by Guest »

I too find the thought of soot streaked cases troubling - but if it shot well before... Scratch in the chamber or headspace too big I would suspect.

Just a thought:
what size foresight and rearsight aperture are you using?
Did you alter them for your dry firing practice and not set them back?

Otherwise, dismantle the bolt again and reassemble it in case something went back wrong.

So many possibilities - benching it is a must.

K.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Charlotte,

A few quick takes here:

While this is only minimal comfort, routinely cleaned and cared for a smallbore barrel will usually go 80,000 to 90,000 rounds before showing signs of old age. That was the typical number tossed about in the '70s when I was a junior. For the problems you are having right now, I know that is just a number.

Soot streak on the case, always in the same spot... something is not right with the chamber, throat and/or headspace.

Also, when the barrel throws fliers, do they string in a particular direction or along a line or just any old place? Once again this could be useful information when you get it to Chuck.

A Russian gun with a beautiful barrel... I have heard this before, outside not so pretty but lots of effort where the effort counts.

While you mentioned the rifle is out of warranty, once Chuck evaluates it, assuming it is not a simple fix, you might want to try contacting Anschutz directly about an adjustment. 1 year and about a case of ammo is a little ridiculous for a rifle to lose its accuracy.

'Dude
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

I don't know why I didn't think about bolt disassembly and reassembly. I'll do that. I'm somewhat calmed down about this rifle now. I can't spend anymore energy on it until I have a real deal gunsmith fix it.
BTW, I just refinished and repaired a stock for someone on RFC. Have a looksee.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=357483
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

I had a simular problem with a 1413. It was resolved by changing the firiing pin and spring. That seems to be the only change you have made while the rifle was still shooting accurately and the problem showed up imediately after you changed firing pins to dry fire. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

Thanks Bill, I'll give that a try. It's interesting that you had a similar problem and it gives me hope.