MG4 - Any comments?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ColinC

MG4 - Any comments?

Post by ColinC »

I have a mate who is not too computer literate so I am posting for him. He is considering buying a MG4.
Does anyone have any comments - good or bad, teething problems etc which I can pass on to him.

And for those wondering - No I am not giving up my S&W revolver to buy a pop gun. It really is a mate.

Cheers Colin
julioalperi

MG4

Post by julioalperi »

Pablo Garcia from Spain used to shoot a Manurhin MR73, but for the Munich World CF Championship he shot an MG4 for the first time in a serious competition. Yes , you count a score of 587 points and that would have been silver but one shot in RF was a fraction of a second late. Finished 20.
I have a MG4 but I´m not shooting at present.
Julio

[/img]
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

Any competion pistol has the ability to shoot inside the ten ring all the time with the right ammo. After that is a matter of ergonomics, balance, support from dealer-factory or something else. From what i have read here MG4 is a viable alternative. I would recomend to your friend to try the MG4 from a fellow shooter or dealer in your country.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

That's the problem. He doesn't know of anyone using a MG4. I haven't seen one on the firing line at open competitions, not to say there wasn't one, but not in my detail.
I take it that from the limited replies, either not too many shooters are using one, or those who have them are not having problems with them like the MG2.
Last edited by ColinC on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

There are 4 of them in my club, and they acutally work (on average) better than the MG2. Had some problems with a batch of firing pins, but that happens in the best families and was resolved by the factory.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

I don't have MG4 but will have an MG2 very soon. From what i have seen at this forum, MG2 and MG4 have solved most of their teething problems (most reports were for MG2). Also the factory support seems to be very good.
A74BEDLM

Post by A74BEDLM »

I have an MG4 (and MG1E, MG2 and MG2E) and my MG4 is extremely reliable - as is my MG2E and MG1E.
Ernie Rodriguez

MG 4

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Does anyone know the twist rate on the barrel of the MG4??
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

I've asked directly to Matchguns, it is 1 in 476 mm. It is a little bit higher than Pardini, 1 in 450 mm.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

ColinC wrote:That's the problem. He doesn't know of anyone using a MG4. I haven't seen one on the firing line at open competitions, not to say there wasn't one, but not in my detail.
I take it that from the limited replies, either not too many shooters are using one, or those who have them are not having problems with them like the MG2.
Hi Colin,

I hope to have mine this month, but I do know that Bruce Quick from Yarra is using it and thinks highly of it.

I have just started the MG2RF, and so far I am impressed with it. I hope the MG4 gives the same satisfaction...

Cheers
Podgorny

Not much that could jam a MG1E....

Post by Podgorny »

[quote="A74BEDLM"]I have an MG4 (and MG1E, MG2 and MG2E) and my MG4 is extremely reliable - as is my MG2E and MG1E.[/quote]

I very glad to learn about your "reliable" MG1E.
Ejection is positive, as is loading of the pellet? Good.
Most single shot manually cocked and loaded air pistols are reliable. Or so I think, at least.

About the MG4: A friend has owned one for half a year. It has ruined some competitions by occasionally not feeding a round into the chamber during strings, hence by pulling the trigger the firing pin strikes the empty chamber.

An annoying habit of any semi-auto gun.
But when it goes bang, accuracy from the MG4 is fairly good.
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

At last I've got my new MG4... I've tried it yesterday, only 30 rounds with some stove pipes, I think I must crimp a little bit more than with my Pardini HP. This afternoon I'll try other 30 rounds more crimped. I just hope it doesn't rain...
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

My mate got his this week and was at the range this afternoon running some lead through a chronometer.
It will be interesting to hear if he had the same problems with the crimp.

Post by Guest »

Just wondering would anyone say a MG4 is better than a Walther GSP expert. I have neither but am looking at buying one of them, what do others think? Thanks.
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

I don't know the GSP expert. Maybe I can compare my HP and the MG4. At the moment I can't tell anything, it's too soon...
Yesterday in the afternoon I've shot 35 rounds more crimped, jam has occurred only twice.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

Anonymous wrote:Just wondering would anyone say a MG4 is better than a Walther GSP expert. I have neither but am looking at buying one of them, what do others think? Thanks.
After buying the new Walther GSP Expert, I can seriously say I was not impressed by it. I much prefer my Hammerli 280, but in saying that I am waiting for my new MG4 to arrive.

I know of a few guys who like the Walther, but I know an Olympic (well Rapid and 50M) shooter who uses the MG4 and loves it.

I just hope it meets my expectations!!!
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

I'm sure of it! At the moment the MG4 is the future, the other guns only the past...
Yonger

Gun with an empty chamber don't go bang

Post by Yonger »

buonvento wrote:I'm sure of it! At the moment the MG4 is the future, the other guns only the past...
Yeah!
The MG4 is the only gun know to have the habit og 'midle of string emty chamber' scenario.
This phenomenon was demonstrated and in detail reported upon in the swedish 'Vapentidningen' thorough test of the MG4 recently.
:-(
Many other MG4s suffer from the same illness. In the future all .32 guns will suffer from this shortcoming?
I really don't hope so.
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

With my MG4 at the time I shot about 150 cartridges, too few. What I noticed is that in the back of the slide and near the extractor I have too much dirt. I think all the guns had problems, to me Pardini has replaced the barrel, for example...
P.S: the test by vapen... was published in January 2009, almost two years ago.