air regulator Hammerli AR50

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Albert B

air regulator Hammerli AR50

Post by Albert B »

One of the shooters at my club has bought a Hammerli AR50 air rifle (second hand). The pellet velocity is very low. We suspect either defective seals or someone has changed the setting of the air regulator.
Can someone please explain where the air regulator is positioned on the rifle, and how to change the air pressure? (I have lots of experience with Walther air rifles but not with Hammeli).
Thanks,
Albert B
(The Netherlands)
Luke Duncan

Hammerli AR-50

Post by Luke Duncan »

I have first hand experience with this problem. I purchased a Hammerli AR-50 in may of 2009. The previous owner had bought it used and had had a seal job done on the rifle. However, we soon discovered that the rifle's velocity was to low (around 460 feet per second), and had a tool made to adjust the regulator. The adjustment valve is located on the right side of the action, in the square box. It is a star shaped head. Regardless, we still sent it off to be repaired, and six months later, I recieved it back again. I sent it off again even though the regulator had been replaced, because it was still shooting to slow, and would not keep at any set velocity that it was sent to. I sent my rifle to Larry's Guns, which is located in Main, and the repairman had only tested it for twenty shots before shipping it off. Many other people have complemented their service, but I have had the opposite. My point being, have a hex screw matched to the head on the regulator, and have it machined into a handle. See if you can adjust your air rifle to shoot around 170 meters per second, that is what it should be shooting at. Keep in mind that it operates on an excentric dial, meaning that if you turn the head too much, you will be back to where you started. Start with quarter turns. Please provide more details to me as they come. My rifle should be back in my hands in three to four weeks.
Albert B

Post by Albert B »

Luke, thank you for the reply. Coming week I hve arranged for the use of the clubs chronograph so we can measure the speed. U'll look for the regulator screw and see what I can do. I will keep you informed.
Thanks,
Albert
Albert B

AR50 back for repair

Post by Albert B »

Hello Luke, We have tested the AER50 over a chrono. Speed was 140m/s, 30m/s lower than normal. We took the action out of the stock and as soon as we opened the bolt and the reducing valve filled with air from the cilinder, there was a hissing sound coming from the pressure reducing chamber/valve inside the action. The rifle is send back to the shop for repairs.

Thanks,
Albert B
aeklette

Re: air regulator Hammerli AR50

Post by aeklette »

Hi folks!
This is my first post here.
I have exactely the same problem with my Walther LG200.
How can I solve this problem?

Thanks
Audun

Albert B wrote:One of the shooters at my club has bought a Hammerli AR50 air rifle (second hand). The pellet velocity is very low. We suspect either defective seals or someone has changed the setting of the air regulator.
Can someone please explain where the air regulator is positioned on the rifle, and how to change the air pressure? (I have lots of experience with Walther air rifles but not with Hammeli).
Thanks,
Albert B
(The Netherlands)
Quest1

Re: air regulator Hammerli AR50

Post by Quest1 »

aeklette wrote:Hi folks!
This is my first post here.
I have exactely the same problem with my Walther LG200.
How can I solve this problem?

Thanks
Audun

Well it sounds like you will need a seal replaced and while your at it you just as well rebuild the regulator.
Albert B wrote:One of the shooters at my club has bought a Hammerli AR50 air rifle (second hand). The pellet velocity is very low. We suspect either defective seals or someone has changed the setting of the air regulator.
Thanks,
Albert B
(The Netherlands)