Help with new rifle running in process

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

scott75

Help with new rifle running in process

Post by scott75 »

Hi All

I am about to recieve my new 1913L in a precise stock, and was wondering what is the correct process involved in running in the rifle?? I am getting mixed responses from my club members and really want to correctly care for this rifle. Very excited to own my first 'brand new' rifle.

As always thanks for your help, and enjoy your shooting!

Scott
Australia
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

I don't know if this will help but here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MidwayUSA#p ... jbnYm_HmXg
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

That is generally accepted as the break in process for a rifle that shoots jacketed bullets, but the general concensus on 22 lr is that they don't need a break in process.
http://www.riflebarrels.com/support/rim ... enance.htm
yana

Post by yana »

Thats indeed what I understood as well, no real breaking in. What I did however, was, clean it after each shooting session the first 2/3 times.
While normally, I only clean my .22 rifles after 8-10 boxes of ammo(approx 500 shots).

Post by Guest »

Read the manual that comes with your rifle.

I'm pretty sure that Anschutz does not recommend any sort of running in or breaking in process.
gtrisdale

Post by gtrisdale »

Be sure and clean the bore before you shoot it. You want to make sure that there is no oil of debris in the barrel when you shoot it for the first time.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

1913 owner/operator here.

Clean it before you shoot it the first time, and clean it every time you're done using it. I was following the 500-shot method mentioned earlier, and began cleaning as often as Bart suggested. My scores came up another 10%.

For cleaning I use a Dewey jag (barb on the end to catch the patch) and then use solvent for at least one pass through the bore. I then use oil in the same manner, and then dry patches until it comes out clean. This leaves just enough oil in the bore. Always remember to go from the breech to the muzzle and don't pull it backwards ever.

Good shooting!