Fitting shooting glasses

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

peterz

Fitting shooting glasses

Post by peterz »

Does anybody know of an eye doc in the Washington DC area who is familiar with fitting a lens for a shooter?

Thanks.
Brian Carstensen

Post by Brian Carstensen »

Are you asking where you can get a lens cut for your shooting frames or for a eye doctor to help you with your prescription?

If you are asking about cutting a lens for your glasses than take then lens holder to your eye doctor and they will either send the lens holder to a lab to have it cut, mine is 25mm and was too small to cut in shop so the lab where the lens was made did it.

Brian
peterz

Post by peterz »

I need an eye doctor to determine the prescription. Lots of labs can cut the lens.
paulo

Post by paulo »

Just hoping to increasing the pool of knowledge, same thing for Philadelphia PA.
My eye doctor/lab can't cut a lens for my lens holder.

Here are a few good articles to take to your friendly eye doctor:
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

I believe ISS does lenses for competition lens holders, the thing is to find out the right prescription
http://www.iss-internationalshootersser ... asses.html
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

In DC? Head for Richmond and talk to Dr. Alan Toler. He's the best in the business, and a serious competitive shooter in his own right. When you make the appointment, ask for one of his lens kits. He's got a system at www.customsightpicture.com that lest you fine-tune your prescription for your own situation.

My experience

Post by Guest »

Hello,

I'm in the 'burbs of Richmond (Glen Allen) and would like to know his address/number. The link you provided is for sales products.

I went to a different but local opthomologist (located outside the Costco) and he has helped some 2-3 other local shooters. He measured my eyes and determined 1-2 prescriptions so I can see the front sight clearly. I received 4 free contact lenses.

I held my hand outstretched with a metal bar and he used different lenses to see which one I focused more clearly on. I focused on the edge of the bar (simulating my front sight).

You may want to call around, I think the above can be performed at any opthomologist (eye dr.).

I have a shoot this Sat. We'll see the results and if they work when live.
chuckjordan

Two prescriptions from Costco eye Dr worked fine with me...

Post by chuckjordan »

Two weeks ago, the eye Dr. set me up with a different prescription (power) for my left eye (I'm a lefty) and left my normal (right) eye with the regular prescription.

OK, I had my shoot yesterday (ISSF SP & RP). I was wearing contact lenses and could very clearly see the front site (left eye). One prescription in the left eye, and the recular in the right.

It was super easy to pick-up the sights (when I did my part). I like what he had done. I would think any eye Dr could perform the same - IF - you tell him/her your requirements (focus 12" past the hand - the front sight). I even received free 6 contact lenses to try out. Can't beat that!

Now, I have to do my part and practice (I do practice with 10M), I need some live fire practice area.

Anybody know if a pace to practice in the Richmond, VA area?