Jacket for Prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RobinC

Jacket for Prone

Post by RobinC »

As a returnee to prone smallbore after 25 years I will need a new jacket.
Are there any significant advantages to the current breed of stiff canvas jackets in the prone position for some one who has no aspirations of high level at 60+ years. The ones I've tried I'm not comfortable in and think I'd prefer a soft one.
As I chucked out my old flexible leather jacket many years ago are there any soft jacket options even available now? If so where can I get them in the UK or Europe
Robin
Leo

Post by Leo »

Creeedmoor sports here in the US (Oceanside CA) has a "dedicated" prone model jacket -- I recently purchased one out of stock and should be here this week -- I'll post back when received. Like you - comfort and support were important - but not at the 3P level... best.

Post by Guest »

Gehmann make a good leather jacket.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Thanks Guys
Have found a S/H Tucker leather which I think will be fine, if its not I will be calling on Gehmann,
Robin
guest_66

Post by guest_66 »

If you have the chance to try the Mouche (model 'Germania'), it is a very good and comfortable jacket for prone. I can shoot 250 shots in a row without getting sore elbows :)
It also uses leather or suede where the canvas is not really needed. Compared to my earlier jackets (Monard and Thune) this one is the most comfortable I've ever had.

Post by Guest »

If you can shoot 250 shots without a break, then your sling might be a little loose. Or your wrist is made out of steel. More than I could manage.

dl
ball

Re: Jacket for Prone

Post by ball »

RobinC wrote:As a returnee to prone smallbore after 25 years I will need a new jacket.
Are there any significant advantages to the current breed of stiff canvas jackets in the prone position for some one who has no aspirations of high level at 60+ years. The ones I've tried I'm not comfortable in and think I'd prefer a soft one.
As I chucked out my old flexible leather jacket many years ago are there any soft jacket options even available now? If so where can I get them in the UK or Europe
Robin
Depends what you mean by comfortable. They are not designed for comfort as such, but should not be uncomfortable in the prone position. I got a Thune jacket for about 250, but it still needed tailoring to fit my shorter stature (and I shoot ISSF comps, so it needs to pass equipment control). Most important really is that the jacket helps support and stabilise your position whatever its construction.

Ball
guest_66

Post by guest_66 »

Anonymous wrote:If you can shoot 250 shots without a break, then your sling might be a little loose. Or your wrist is made out of steel. More than I could manage.

dl
My wrist is made out of brass. And my head out of lead :)
I must say it hurts a little after 150 shots or so... :) But not in my elbows. When I used the Monard, the elbows really started to hurt after 100 shots or so.
ball

Post by ball »

guest_66 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:If you can shoot 250 shots without a break, then your sling might be a little loose. Or your wrist is made out of steel. More than I could manage.

dl
My wrist is made out of brass. And my head out of lead :)
I must say it hurts a little after 150 shots or so... :) But not in my elbows. When I used the Monard, the elbows really started to hurt after 100 shots or so.
150 shots is way too many to even consider shooting without a break. I generally break at 25 - 30. That said I guess if it goes numb after 40 you lose the sense of pain.... I really don't understand why anyone would want to shoot that many shots without a break, the point is ???
guest_66

Post by guest_66 »

Sorry for the confusion, I don't shoot 150+ shots without a break, of course I have to rest now and then. I mean I can lay down for 250 shots without problem. Earlier, with my old jackets, my elbows hurt bad after 100 shots or s, so I had to get up.
Jason

Post by Jason »

guest_66 wrote:Sorry for the confusion, I don't shoot 150+ shots without a break, of course I have to rest now and then. I mean I can lay down for 250 shots without problem. Earlier, with my old jackets, my elbows hurt bad after 100 shots or s, so I had to get up.
What kind of shooting mat are you using? I went from an old roll-up mat to a new Monard and the difference was amazing. I can shoot a full 60-shot match now and my elbows don't hurt at all, whereas before they'd be complaining after the first 30 shots (including sighters).

If anyone is wincing at the pain to come as you settle into position, consider getting a new mat before shelling out the big bucks for a new jacket.

Jason