Recycling used pellets?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

silentfury214

Recycling used pellets?

Post by silentfury214 »

Hey,
What do you guys do after you use your pellets? I was thinking that i should collect them and melt them back into a ball that could be used for other things.
talladega

Post by talladega »

currently mine bounce off the target trap and go all over the floor in my garage so its hard to keep them. when i was using a different trap though, i emptied it out and kept them in a container.

i havent saved up enough for it to be worth getting rid of.

our local rifle club on the other hand accumulates at least 100lbs of lead a year in the trap. we empty it out maybe once a year or every 2 years. im not sure what we do with it.

i am sure you could sell it or melt it down and use for muzzle loaders.
paulo

Post by paulo »

Great for fishing sinkers, if you like fishing!
The sinkers I made today are on the way to the Jersey shore for some great bass fishing.
Last edited by paulo on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

If you do melt it down do it outdoors and wear an N95 respirator at a minimum.
Rover

Post by Rover »

We have a guy here that salvages lead and brass from the range, including the stuff from the air gun range.

He suffers slightly from lead poisoning.
henry1

Post by henry1 »

if you look around on the internet you can find a pellet mold for useing the lead pellets that been melted down and you pour the molten lead into the pellet mold and it will make new pellets not a good as the machine made ones ..but there good enough for basic use in a air rifle..
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

If you don't know anybody that casts, take them to the range and dump them down-range.
I love pellet scrap for casting muzzleloader balls.
Quest1

Sell

Post by Quest1 »

We sell the lead to the local cowboy shooters who use it to mold bullets.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

R.M. wrote:If you don't know anybody that casts, take them to the range and dump them down-range.
I love pellet scrap for casting muzzleloader balls.
Just how pure is the pellet lead, anyway? I need dead soft lead for Minie balls, and have about 15 lbs of once-shot pellets I dug out of my trap.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Short of going out and buying pure lead, pellets will be about the next best thing there is a little Sn alloyed in pellets I believe.
silentfury214

Post by silentfury214 »

would it be wise to make bars to make it easier to sell?
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'm sure you won't be surprised to learn that analysis of Civil War battlefield pickups revealed that the alloy of Minie balls was none too pure.

Government work, I guess.
David M

Post by David M »

Air pellets melt down to make very nice blackpowder balls, even better if they have been caught in a trap because there is no soil or sand mixed in with them.
From past melts they are not quite pure lead but are very close (slight hardness, weight and colour difference), but make no difference in my blackpowder revolvers.
Hard part is getting rid of the old target card/paper bits of ash as they burn in the pot.
peterz

Post by peterz »

Before getting all excited about selling recycled pellets, has anybody checked the spot price for lead these days?

Hint: on Friday the London price was $0.92/pound. Need a lot of lead to make it worth packing it up and selling it, considering that's a selling price, not what a metal dealer will give you for it.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Scrap dealers will give .25-30 cetns a pound. I brought back about 1000 lbs of lead from local university indoor range yesterday, while I was up there testing pellets in their air rifles.

Many high schools and clubs bring me their lead when they drive to shooting matches where we will be at.

Silentfury, you are in Tennessee, how much lead do you have?
peterz

Post by peterz »

Scott,

With 1000 lbs to sell, it's worthwhile. But most of us generate a pound or two a month shooting in the basement. Very worthwhile for clubs and schools and commercial ranges!
joker

Post by joker »

Richard H wrote:If you do melt it down do it outdoors and wear an N95 respirator at a minimum.
Very good advice - inhaling the fumes is very dangerous - also do far away from where children play or are around.
Quest1

Good Price

Post by Quest1 »

The scrap dealers around here will only give us .15 cents/lb. That's why I sell mine to the cowboy shooters who give us the current mkt rate of .45 cents.

pilkguns wrote:Scrap dealers will give .25-30 cetns a pound. I brought back about 1000 lbs of lead from local university indoor range yesterday, while I was up there testing pellets in their air rifles.

Many high schools and clubs bring me their lead when they drive to shooting matches where we will be at.

Silentfury, you are in Tennessee, how much lead do you have?
silentfury214

Post by silentfury214 »

Right now, i only have a little bit of lead, but i can also harvest all of my clubs lead for free.