Distance from ground to bull for kneeling?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Distance from ground to bull for kneeling?

Post by tsokasn »

Hello!
I am working with my Scatt and although I have the distance that fits me for standing and prone,I can't get it done with kneeling...
Any advice?
Thank you!
Waisted

Re: Distance from ground to bull for kneeling?

Post by Waisted »

tsokasn wrote:Hello!
I am working with my Scatt and although I have the distance that fits me for standing and prone,I can't get it done with kneeling...
Any advice?
Thank you!
It depends on the discipline. For Olympic 300M, it's 3M. For 50M, it's 0.75M; for 25M, 10M, 50M running target and 10M running target, it's 1.4M. All of these measurements are from the level of the floor of the shooting position, irrespective of the position being used, so that is the same for standing, kneeling and prone, where applicable.

That data is taken from the ISSF Rule Book. You need to have a copy of that!

http://www.issf-sports.org/documents/ru ... 009-en.zip

The table is on page 199.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I presume you are using Scatt at a reduced distance from the original match distance.

When shooting at the correct match distance ask someone to measure the height of the front sight from the ground.

When shooting at your Scatt distance, make sure that the front sight is at the same height as measured for the correct match distance and then simply place the target in the appropriate position.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Hello and thank's for the answers!
David,I do shoot a limited distance in my living room(5m)
I have read the measuring barrel distance tip in the Ways.
I will try it the next time I'll go to the range.

Waisted,thank's for the tip!
Till I go to the range,I'll try from 0.75m trial and error.
ball

Post by ball »

tsokasn wrote:
Waisted,thank's for the tip!
Till I go to the range,I'll try from 0.75m trial and error.
0.75m is at 50M away. If your sights are at 0.75 metres from the ground then that's great. However if you are of a 'normal' build, then they will be a bit higher than that. So for sights 1.5m from the ground, you will be pointing down very slightly to 50M. At 5m you need to divide that difference by 10 and subtract that from 1.5 - so in this example that = 1.5 - (0.75/10) i.e. the target should be placed at 1.425M - I think.....

Rob.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

That's a great advice!!!
Thank's Robl!!!
Waisted

Post by Waisted »

Ah, s**t. I misunderstood your problem. I assumed you didn't know the correct bull heights for the discipline you are interested in. But having read the other posts, I now see your problem.

Mathematically it's all about similar triangles, but you really don't want to know that! Here is a suggestion for you. This attached Excel spreadsheet will work for all distances and all bull heights and all bull diameters and all practice range lengths. It took ten minutes to make, so I offer it free! :)

It's a way to decide at what distance above ground you should place your practice bull so as to replicate the slant you need for the real bull at the real distance and real height, depending on the height of your eye when in each of the three positions. It also gives you the reduction factor which you need to apply to reduce the real bull to get to what looks like the real bull when viewed from the real shooting line, as viewed from the distance you are practicing at, so that the modified bull still looks like the real bull would. Of course, you will not actually fire anything at that target - this is for rifle setup and form practice purposes only, of course! Ballistics are not involved in this exercise.

Gee, I've just read that paragraph - I hope it makes sense to you! I have to tell you, it lost me.

But even if it does not make sense, the spreadsheet is easy to understand. Just enter the real distance of the competition target, its specified height according to the rules (and you don't need to be too precise here because the rules allow quite a lot of latitude - or is that longitude?) and the distance you are practicing at, and it works out the apparent height of the bull as well as the apparent diameter of the bull.

What it does NOT do is calculate any ballistic corrections, so if for example you actually fire a round at your practice distance, I will not be held responsible for the outcome!

I believe that this is what you were looking for.

But DON'T download this file! Look for my later post where the attached spreadsheet actually works! Sorry for the confusion: if I had a brain, I'd be downright dangerous!
Attachments
Target simulation.xls
(30.5 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Last edited by Waisted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9jri

Thnaks for the sheet but I have a problem

Post by k9jri »

This is exactly what I have been looking for too but I am having a problem with the sheet. When I load it into my MAC Exel compatible spreadsheet software I do not find any formulas. The format is perfect but no formulas and thus no calculations.

This software normally works well with Excel files but this one may be an exception. Did you post the file that you intended to post?

Probably cockpit trouble on this end but I have ot found the problem yet.

Thanks - Mike
Waisted wrote:Ah, s**t. I misunderstood your problem. I assumed you didn't know the correct bull heights for the discipline you are interested in. But having read the other posts, I now see your problem.

Mathematically it's all about similar triangles, but you really don't want to know that! Here is a suggestion for you. This attached Excel spreadsheet will work for all distances and all bull heights and all bull diameters and all practice range lengths. It took ten minutes to make, so I offer it free! :)

It's a way to decide at what distance above ground you should place your practice bull so as to replicate the slant you need for the real bull at the real distance and real height, depending on the height of your eye when in each of the three positions. It also gives you the reduction factor which you need to apply to reduce the real bull to get to what looks like the real bull when viewed from the real shooting line, as viewed from the distance you are practicing at, so that the modified bull still looks like the real bull would. Of course, you will not actually fire anything at that target - this is for rifle setup and form practice purposes only, of course! Ballistics are not involved in this exercise.

Gee, I've just read that paragraph - I hope it makes sense to you! I have to tell you, it lost me.

But even if it does not make sense, the spreadsheet is easy to understand. Just enter the real distance of the competition target, its specified height according to the rules (and you don't need to be too precise here because the rules allow quite a lot of latitude - or is that longitude?) and the distance you are practicing at, and it works out the apparent height of the bull as well as the apparent diameter of the bull.

What it does NOT do is calculate any ballistic corrections, so if for example you actually fire a round at your practice distance, I will not be held responsible for the outcome!

I believe that this is what you were looking for.
Waisted

Re: Thnaks for the sheet but I have a problem

Post by Waisted »

k9jri wrote:This is exactly what I have been looking for too but I am having a problem with the sheet. When I load it into my MAC Exel compatible spreadsheet software I do not find any formulas.
Correct! Brain fade took over here, sorry.

After I had tested the spreadsheet, I cleared out the data input fields, but having had a few glasses of wine and a couple of post-prandials, I blithely went ahead and cleared out the formula cells too…

Herewith the correct version!
Attachments
Target simulation.xls
(30.5 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
k9jri

Re: Thnaks for the sheet but I have a problem

Post by k9jri »

Perfect! Thanks again.

Mike

Waisted wrote:
k9jri wrote:This is exactly what I have been looking for too but I am having a problem with the sheet. When I load it into my MAC Exel compatible spreadsheet software I do not find any formulas.
Correct! Brain fade took over here, sorry.

After I had tested the spreadsheet, I cleared out the data input fields, but having had a few glasses of wine and a couple of post-prandials, I blithely went ahead and cleared out the formula cells too…

Herewith the correct version!
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

ball wrote: 0.75m is at 50M away. If your sights are at 0.75 metres from the ground then that's great. However if you are of a 'normal' build, then they will be a bit higher than that. So for sights 1.5m from the ground, you will be pointing down very slightly to 50M. At 5m you need to divide that difference by 10 and subtract that from 1.5 - so in this example that = 1.5 - (0.75/10) i.e. the target should be placed at 1.425M - I think.....
Hallo Rob,

your advise is correct. But it's an example for standing. I do not think tsokasns sights are 1,5m from ground in kneeling. 0,6m - 0,8m is much more reasonable, if he is of a 'normal' build.

The best solution is from David, because the height of the sights from ground varies from shooter to shooter.

@tsokasn
If your position in kneeling is not yet so stable, it's better to measure at front and rear sight. Then you can do some math and have the real angle of your position.

Best wishes from Germany

Frank
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Thank you everyone!
I am glad that we can find solution to all of our problems here!