Center of Gravity

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

weilers

Center of Gravity

Post by weilers »

Hi all,

I was doing some work on my Anschutz 1907 a while back and I figured out that the rifle's center of gravity is a little further down on the forearm than I would like: about a 5 inches forward of the trigger guard. This is the first rifle I've ever shot that I didn't bed the stock myself.

Currently, the rifle weighs about ~11 pounds assembled. I'm seriously thinking about adding a 250g weight to the buttstock assembly in order to help myself out.

What I'm wondering is: is simply adding a weight to the stock the best of ideas? Should I try another method?

Any info helps.

Post by Guest »

yes, thats the best thing to do
BJ

Post by BJ »

Simply adding weight to the stock seems to me like the easiest way to move the center of gravity. I also shoot a 1907 and to get my center of gravity back more toward the trigger guard, I had a short barrel put on my gun when I reached the point when I needed a better barrel. Also if you remove the accessory rail underneath you will find a big hole that is for adding more weight to the rifle.

Brian
RossM

Weight Back

Post by RossM »

You might like to check under the rail. I have a suspicion there might be a big lump of lead in the forend. It certainly was there in the 1407.

Also, if the weight IS there and you remove it. Moving a lighter weight out to the end of the barrel (that keeps your balance point in the same place) will increase the moment of inertia of the rifle. It will 'feel' heavier to move around with a bigger MoI. Keeping the added weight to the ends of the rifle ensures maximum MoI for the minimum weight.