air rifle trigger adjustment

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

glr1

air rifle trigger adjustment

Post by glr1 »

waiting for walther lg 300 junior from pilkguns,I have some questions to the coaches,how far do you adjust the trigger(starting point)in relation to the shooters index finger,how about the starting trigger wt ?
Waisted

Re: air rifle trigger adjustment

Post by Waisted »

glr1 wrote:waiting for walther lg 300 junior from pilkguns,I have some questions to the coaches,how far do you adjust the trigger(starting point)in relation to the shooters index finger,how about the starting trigger wt ?
Well, I'm not a coach, but from what I've learned in various forums like this one, your finger should be in a position, at the point of release, so that its rearward movement to achieve release is straight back parallel to the barrel.

You would arrange for that by a combination of your hand's grip on the throat of the stock, and trigger position. Your grip should be firm but not tight, and feel relaxed.

Regarding weight at release, I'd suggest you start with 3 lbs.
peterz

Post by peterz »

I'm not sure a match rifle can even go as high as 3 pounds (crudely 1500 gm). Most are shot at around 60 gm or less in competition.
Waisted

Post by Waisted »

peterz wrote:I'm not sure a match rifle can even go as high as 3 pounds (crudely 1500 gm). Most are shot at around 60 gm or less in competition.
You're right. The Walther LG300 Junior has a range of 50-120g. Doesn't change my opinion of the starting weight for a beginner shooter.

So in the case of the OP. it won't make any difference.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

It is best to leave the trigger weight as set by the factory (unless it is unsafe) to get started. Kids adapted to light two stage triggers rapidly. Once they get the feel of where the first stage ends, trigger release becomes very similar to the "texting" taps they use.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

My wife has an LG300 xt and as it came the trigger was superb, crisp and set to the lowest weight 50gms. The only adjustments I would suggest is to move the trigger so that at the point of let off the the finger is square to the trigger and pulling back straight and central. The Walther has a point trigger which is excelent for letting the shooter know they have the point in the correct place on the pad but does allow them to push the trigger to the side with out realising they are doing it, and it is not always obvious to an observing coach. She changed to a flat Tech-ro trigger to solve this. If the shooters are pure beginners I would consider raising the weight a tad, but as Pat says you soon get used to low weight triggers.
Have fun and good shooting.
Robin