teach me how to properly shoot a two-stage trigger

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
doral

Post by doral »

I have very good success with one stage trigger. Just pull, pull, pull slowly until trigger breaks.

I have very erratic luck with two stage trigger. Could some one teach me the most useful way of shooting two stage.

I take up first stage while I am above the target, body balanced, ready, then I come down. Start pulling 2nd stage as I pass the black target to sub-6.

My result using two stage is not as good as using one stage trigger.

I am very tempting to just adjust the two stage to be like a single stage trigger.

Could some one please convince me that two stage is better than one stage, and I should persevere with two stage.

Please give me some rational that I can sink my teeth in.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I think it is personal preference.
When I got both of my used APs from Pilkingtons, the 2nd stage on both pistols were dialed out, effectively making them single stage triggers.
I personally like the 2 stage trigger, so I put the 2nd stage back in.

If you like a single stage trigger, just dial out the 2nd stage and shoot it as a single stage trigger.

If you want to give a 2 stage trigger a chance, you need to shoot it for about a month, so your finger has enough time to get used to it.
silveer

Post by silveer »

shooting 2 stage is like shooting single stage trigger.
2 stage trigger for me like cheating weight regulation on issf 10 meter AI. It should minimum 500 grams. So on 2 stage it will ditribute 500 grams to first stage example 250 grams and second 250 total 500 grams. If you make your trigger single, your second stage will weight 500 grams. Its heavy for your finger to pull it stright to ten on 10 meter target.

so..how we pull the 2 stage trigger. its is easy make your first stage 200 grams and second 300 so it wouldn't blow easy if you touch it.
ok i take example 6 shoot aim. when your front sight is on the black area take first stage until it stop on second stage. You must practice it to pull carefully so you won't make it blow. When your trigger finger pull first stage until end and stop in two stage than lower your pistol until it front sight in 6 area aim. Just watch it hold it steady and when you feel this is 10 zone just add pressure on your trigger finger until it blow. simple isn't it ? just ignore first stage pull it until end and make your second trigger as main trigger (single stage)

hope it can help you
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Start pulling 2nd stage as I pass the black target to sub-6.
Try starting the trigger press when you have settled into the aiming area.
Doral

Post by Doral »

Pulling when in aiming area, from 1st stage or 2nd stage?
NB

2stage

Post by NB »

As I settle on the holding area I takein the first stage. When my hold is perfect my shot releases.

Post by Guest »

I usually take up 1st stage before lifting the pistol. Of course it might work because my adjustment is 2nd stage bias. Wouldn't look good if you misfired while lifting the pistol.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Pulling when in aiming area, from 1st stage or 2nd stage?
second stage.
Waisted

Post by Waisted »

silveer wrote:So on 2 stage it will ditribute 500 grams to first stage example 250 grams and second 250 total 500 grams.
I just came across this thread because of an interest in the difference between single-stage and two-stage triggers in my rifle discipline.

I found this post astounding. Are the rules like this? Does the rule aggregate the pull across the travel of the trigger, summing up the incremental forces before release? If so, the rules are c**p. Surely it's the final force applied to the trigger to make it break which defines the weight of the trigger? Maybe I got that wrong? <scrabbling for the rule-book>
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

No need to scrabble waisted...its the combined pull force required to release the shot that applies in pistol shooting.
Waisted

Post by Waisted »

deadeyedick wrote:No need to scrabble waisted...its the combined pull force required to release the shot that applies in pistol shooting.
OK, thanks. But that raises another question - if it is not actually the force on the trigger at release which definers the trigger's acceptability according to the rules, then it must be the aggregate of forces across the length of pull of the trigger, which, since I am a scientist (sorry) says that it's the area under the force-distance curve which counts. So how is that measured in practice?

It absolutely is NOT measured in pounds, of course, despite the specs quoted everywhere (unless I have got that wrong too) but in foot-pounds (or in-oz or mm-gms in this case) since the measurement is two-dimensional, involving both the force applied and the distance over which that force is applied. And of course the force is not constant. Want to see a graph? :)

I'm really not trying to pick a fight here! I'm just trying to understand how this works. Not that I'm into pistol, but now I'm hooked on the question!
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

It's more simple than you could imagine.

You pick up a weight off the table with the trigger that weighs 500gr.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Dogchaser wrote:It's more simple than you could imagine.

You pick up a weight off the table with the trigger that weighs 500gr.
It's more simple than you could imagine.

You pick up a weight off the table with the trigger that lifts 500gr.[/
schatzperson

Post by schatzperson »

Interesting question by Waisted.
Actually I believe he has a valid argument, or should I say the simple answer " lift a 500 gm weight off the table" is just as correct.
In lifting, you are acting against gravity, W=mG, where m is the mass and g is the accelleration due to gravity, 9.8 odd meters per second, so here, maybe, are your missing units Waisted.

To get back to the original question:
From the answers given, I got the impression that, the trigger weight past the second stage, is being taken as a "cheating advantage", because you are holding, say 200 gms instead of 500 gms.
You are actually holding the SUM of both weights.
Hence, when the trigger/sear trips, any movments induced by this action, will reflect 500 not 200 gms worth of shake rattle and roll.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Take up pressure to second stage.
Now you have a single stage trigger.