How to reduce the size of a 10m target to use at 6m????

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

scott75

How to reduce the size of a 10m target to use at 6m????

Post by scott75 »

Hi All

Just a quick question in how to reduce a 10m air rifle target so that I can use it in my shed at 6m. I really have to work on my standing air rifle and my shed is 6m! the two options I have is to build a bigger shed(rather not), or shoot at accuratly sized 6m target. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy shooting, abd enjoy your sport!!!

cheers
Scott
Xman

Post by Xman »

Well that is simple... photocopy a 10m target at 60%. but the BIG, BIG problem is NOT to use regualar paper. You can do it but regualar paper will not provide a clean hole and at the reduced size, even one shot per bull, the hole rendered is just terrible to guage your score.

I suggest that you photocopy onto the backside of a 10m target. Yes it is a expensive choice but well worth it scoring wise.

If you go to kinkos.fedex be sure to tell the staff before you copy that you are providing your own paper. They will discount the cost to the 8.5x11 rate instead of the 11x17 rate that is charged when you use the sheet bypass. Or you can cut the 10m target to 8.5x11, but I am not sure you can fit 10 bulls on it at a 60% reduction
Quest1

Scoring

Post by Quest1 »

Xman wrote:Well that is simple... photocopy a 10m target at 60%. but the BIG, BIG problem is NOT to use regualar paper. You can do it but regualar paper will not provide a clean hole and at the reduced size, even one shot per bull, the hole rendered is just terrible to guage your score.

I suggest that you photocopy onto the backside of a 10m target. Yes it is a expensive choice but well worth it scoring wise.

If you go to kinkos.fedex be sure to tell the staff before you copy that you are providing your own paper. They will discount the cost to the 8.5x11 rate instead of the 11x17 rate that is charged when you use the sheet bypass. Or you can cut the 10m target to 8.5x11, but I am not sure you can fit 10 bulls on it at a 60% reduction
Great idea for practice just remember a standard scoring plug on the reduced target will not work.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

60 pound or heavier cardstock will cut nice holes. At least it did for me the last time I tired it.
paulo

Post by paulo »

Another option:
-download software from here http://www.scatt.com/software.htm
after installing software, run the program, and on the top choices click TOOLS - PRINT TARGET - Choose the right target, and under DISTANCE TO ELECTRONIC TARGET enter correct distance, your case 6m, you can do decimals too just enter the amount with your keyboard;
-there are more american competition targets here on the right hand side of the web page http://www.centershot.com/ if that is what you need.

Post by Guest »

Scott, was looking at targets yesterday and can't remember where but I think it was champion shooters supply that had a 5m air target.
call me if that isn't the correct sight or the target that will work for you
Kerry
robf

Post by robf »

there is a 6yd AR target, but it's a slightly different ball game. That said, it might just be easier to play it, as it can teach a different aspect, and of course, shooting is shooting, so you will be working on the same thing.

The 6yd target's rings aren't a lot different to a 10m, however, there is nothing outside the 5, and the black area is reduced to keep the same foresight/target relationship. Because the rings are relatively larger, your scores were higher... at the top of my tree i shoot 550 in 10m, at the top of my 6yd, i shoot 595. But the difference is in trying not to shoot 9's instead of in 10m trying to shoot all 10's... different way of thinking, but still shooting and your shooting processes will be the same.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

robf wrote:there is a 6yd AR target, but it's a slightly different ball game.
Are you thinking about the NSRA 6yd target. It might be a bit difficult to buy at a reasonable price in the US (which I presume is where the OP is from).
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

Find angular displacement to center of hole in target:

(OD of scoring ring) - 1/2(pellet diameter) = AD in linear distance

Then "scale down" to desired distance:

(desired distance)/(standard distance) = Scale

Multiply AD by Scale to get AD at different distance, then add back the 1/2 pellet diameter.

Overall

[(OD of scoring ring) - 1/2(pellet diameter)]*[(desired distance)/(standard distance)] + 1/2(pellet diameter)

This will give you the OD of the scoring ring at the desired distance.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

would changing your front sight insert to give you the same sight pic at 10m and expect to shoot 10s and 9s do the same thing for practice purposes? Shrinking the target as another stated would make the sight pic relative but I'm not sure the scoring would correlate
Brandon Thompson

Post by Brandon Thompson »

trig dog
robf

Post by robf »

David Levene wrote:
robf wrote:there is a 6yd AR target, but it's a slightly different ball game.
Are you thinking about the NSRA 6yd target. It might be a bit difficult to buy at a reasonable price in the US (which I presume is where the OP is from).
Ah, good point David :)
Luftskytter-

Post by Luftskytter- »

Backing the photocopies with a "real" target og cardboard improves the holepunching quite a bit. The score will never be right as long as the pellets are 4.5mm, but for me the main thing is having a useable sight picture. This is nice to have for short range dry fire practice as well!