Pellet Size

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ScottyT

Pellet Size

Post by ScottyT »

Hi Can someone advice the correct pellet size and weight to use in a Feinwerkbau P44?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

There is no correct pellet size or weight for your FWB P44.

Just try all the pellets you can find and stick with the ones that group the best.

Then buy all the pellets you can get of that same batch.
ScottyT

Post by ScottyT »

Thanks mate.

The sticker on the underside of our last tin of pellets had been scratched right on the vital information of the pellet size we had been using.

I guess we will have to start from the beginning again.

Not good 9 days out from leaving for the World Champs.
superstring

Post by superstring »

Scotty

Don't assume that just because a tin of pellets is marked with a size that they are going to be the same size as other tins and/or brands similarly marked. I measured several different brands of "good quality" pellets (with a micrometer) awhile back which were marked 4.49 and they ranged from 4.47 to 4.51 (although the size was more or less consistent within any given tin).
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

ScottyT wrote:Thanks mate.

The sticker on the underside of our last tin of pellets had been scratched right on the vital information of the pellet size we had been using.

I guess we will have to start from the beginning again.

Not good 9 days out from leaving for the World Champs.
Get in early on practice days at one of the pellet manufacturers' stands. They will clamp your pistol and test various pellets at 10m for you - you can then purchase from the best batch.
One of the aspects of Munich...
ScottyT

Post by ScottyT »

Thanks Spencer,

Unfortunately for me I am not going. It is my 14 year old daughter who is the quality shooter of the fmaily.

She left for a week long camp this morning so I will see how she goes with the pellets I bought for her.

If not her coach will let me know what to have ready for her when she leaves on the 27th.

Thanks for you advice.

Might have a chat at SISC next time you are there.

Cheers
Scott
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

ScottyT wrote:Thanks Spencer,

Unfortunately for me I am not going. It is my 14 year old daughter who is the quality shooter of the fmaily.

She left for a week long camp this morning so I will see how she goes with the pellets I bought for her.

If not her coach will let me know what to have ready for her when she leaves on the 27th.

Thanks for you advice.

Might have a chat at SISC next time you are there.

Cheers
Scott
If she has a competitor number the pellet stands will treat her the same as any other competitor, and the pellet testing is all for free.
ScottyT wrote:...Might have a chat at SISC next time you are there.
Scott
Paula would argue that I seem to live there...
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I have said this repeatedly. If you are shooting Air Pistol, and shooting a good quality pellet, Head size or lot number does not matter. The size of the 10 ring is SO MUCH BIGGER thatn the worst possible group the pellets are capable of to consider testing is just ridiculous.

Air Rifle it makes a difference, by LOT NUMBER, not head size, but it don't in AP
peterz

Post by peterz »

In general Pilkguns is right. But...

I have an Izzy, and frankly the bore is undersized. It is difficult to insert 4.50mm pellets, while 4.49mm ones go in smoothly.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the advice Spenser.

I am not sure what free time if any she will have but I am sure she will check everything out.

I will be sure to say Gday next time we are training at SISC.

We are usually there Tuesdays, Fridays and sometimes Saturdays.

Cheers
Scott

Post by Guest »

pilkguns wrote:I have said this repeatedly. If you are shooting Air Pistol, and shooting a good quality pellet, Head size or lot number does not matter. The size of the 10 ring is SO MUCH BIGGER thatn the worst possible group the pellets are capable of to consider testing is just ridiculous.

Air Rifle it makes a difference, by LOT NUMBER, not head size, but it don't in AP
Thanks Pilkguns,

I was just very worried that I hadnt bought the correct pellets for my daughter.

It is a relief to know it isnt highly critical.

Best Regards
Scott

Post by Guest »

what is the best way to go about getting the right pellets for a rifle then?
do I have to buy 5000 of the different sizes until I find the one that shoots best or can I buy say- 3 different tins of different sizes and then place a large order. what are the chances of being able to place an order and get the same lot or batch number using your Vogel pellets (which I am using now)
BEA

pellet size

Post by BEA »

What you have said about the 10 ring being so much bigger is true. However, when I shoot a high 9, I always wonder what could have been with small group pellets.

On another note, measuring the diameter of pellets is tricky. The lead is very soft and the slightest pressure from a micrometer will indent the lead slightly causing a misread.

The best way is to test as many pellets as possible, as stated before. You might also be able to improve the groups slightly by changing the velocity, but this can be tricky too because this may make things worse. If you go this route, a chronograph is important. Find out what speed range is recommended by the pistol manufacturer. I have found that HS pellets are about 15 to 20 fps faster than regulars out of my pistol. Depending on which pellet weight you choose, you may need to adjust the velocity to get into the recommended range and produce the best groups. Good luck.
paulo

Post by paulo »

sniper310

Re: Pellet Size

Post by sniper310 »

ScottyT wrote:Hi Can someone advice the correct pellet size and weight to use in a Feinwerkbau P44?
The problem, it seems, with gas air pistols is that the muzzle velocity is not consistent, data I have seen shows a velocity buildup and then decay in muzzle velocity using the same ammo.

Maybe investing $100 or so in a chronograph might be worthwhile, and then keeping track of the shots numerically from first to last, when the gas is expended.

It all has to do with the ballistics of the round, and the weight, the lighter the weight, the faster the round, for a given shape. Flat nose rounds (wadcutter type) will be slower, rounded or oval or pointed (game) faster, generally for the same weight, due to less drag.

The faster the round, the less drop, the flatter the trajectory, theoretically the better accuracy.

I use an old Feinwerkbau Model 65 for 15' plinking at home in the bedroom, but am getting old so can't hold the groups I used to, so it is hard to tell. Haven't tested the muzzle velocity in 30 years.