I am looking for a Smallbore rifle, thinking about Walther

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

BEANNIEBOY

I am looking for a Smallbore rifle, thinking about Walther

Post by BEANNIEBOY »

im looking to get a smallbore rifle. wondering if anybody knows anything about the Walther KK200-300 Alutec? i've heard that Walther triggers fail often. i was wondering if anybody has any experience with the rifles and how they, in-general; feel, shoot, there durability. also if anyone knows prices.
Last edited by BEANNIEBOY on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry1

Post by henry1 »

i went with the KK unverisal model for my basic prone rifle for 50 yard and mini palma shooting .. i love it for it all around fit to me..
TennJay

Post by TennJay »

I have the 300 Alutec and really like it.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Walther makes a fine rifle and you do seem a few of them sprinkled about in the US. One thing I tell people to consider is parts availability should you need something. This would be my only concern with a Walther, if you need some part that is not universal to all European target rifles how long would you have to wait before you were shooting again?

'Dude

Post by Guest »

i agree with the above statement about getting parts. I'm not even sure who are dealers for these rifles are in the US but Neal at International Shooters Supply carries these rifles and probably most of the parts. I do know the first time I talked with him a subject of a broken weapon came up and he had stated if I needed a part for a match and he didn't have it he would take the part off from a new one to repair mine. He seems to be that kind of a guy for his customers. Might call him at 817-595-2090 and ask about parts availability
John Kasaian

Post by John Kasaian »

Awhile back we got a hold of a surplus romanian .22 training rifle from Big Five for $69. After cleaning off the cosmolene and a little tweaking it is an amazingly accurate rifle. Add a boresnake and a brick of Stingers and your ready to give far more expensive rifles a run for their money at the junior level

While this probably isn't what you're looking for, for grins per buck it is a hard rifle to beat---and if they ever give trophys for "Most Rough Looking Rifle" you'll have the best shot at bringing that one home.

That said, I don't think I'd invest in any expensive target rifle without at least shooting an example of the marque first.

Good shooting.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

justadude wrote:Walther makes a fine rifle and you do seem a few of them sprinkled about in the US. One thing I tell people to consider is parts availability should you need something. This would be my only concern with a Walther, if you need some part that is not universal to all European target rifles how long would you have to wait before you were shooting again?

'Dude
Walther are very good at servicing and supplying spare bits. I believe the factory service unit even came over from Germany to you guys for the Benning World cup. That said that probably doesn't help loads if you don't have a good local service agent that can do the repairs. If you're worried, then enquire of walther who their appointed agents and distributers / service agents are in the US - might even be listed on their website.

Rob.
TennJay

Post by TennJay »

When I had to have a replacement part for my Walther sight, I stopped by Champion's Choice and they had it in stock.

Luckily, that is the only thing that I have had to replace, and that was because the previous owner had knocked the rifle off of a table.