Any news on the SP-08

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
paulo

Any news on the SP-08

Post by paulo »

http://www.demyan.info/eng/sp-08.html
Last time I called them, it was told they were introducing the gun in the spring or summer of 2010, does anybody know what the present status is?
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

The question really is, who will import them to the USA? Also I'll bet the price is higher than I paid for the IZH35 in 2000. "Doc"

Post by Guest »

The question really is, does anyone want to sell something to the USA? That's a huge liability risk for a potential market of some dozen pistols.

Post by Guest »

The real question is ;-) : why do they not answer to any email inquiry?

Alexander (as guest, not logged in)
paulo

Post by paulo »

I called and they are there, had to find someone else on the phone to speak in english, but they were vague saying spring then summer, don't know if that was a language difficulty or something else.
Guess we just have to be patient, a non working model was shown awhile back to the owner of PilkGuns, we just got to wait and see.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

I suspect if its going to be released soon they should be attending the IWA with a working model.

Brian
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

If the price were reasonable, I would definitely buy one.

Have they given any hints about price? (I suppose first they need to make the guns, then find a US importer, then a US distributer, then US retailers -- I can see all that taking a while).
Misny

Post by Misny »

I don't have a high opinion of Russian companies. Their products seem to be pretty well made and reasonably priced, but they can't seem to sustain production, nor offer parts. I cite the following examples:

Russian .22 ammo (most notably "Junior").
IZH Shotguns, most recently called the Remington Spartan.
IZH 35
TOZ 35
IZH 46

They do better when they offer surplus firearms and ammo from WWII.
TB

Post by TB »

Taken from Ruig's blog http://toz35.blogspot.com/

"Demyan LLC was founded

Yesterday, on the 4th May 2010, in Austria was founded Demyan LLC (German: Demyan GmbH).

Pilot project will be SP-08 sport pistol. SP-08 designed by Russian team of arms’ developers and will be produced in Europa.
First presentation planned on the August 2010, during 50th World Championship in Munich.

Good luck, boys!"
TB

Post by TB »

Taken from newsletter from a Danish dealer http://www.karlslundesport.dk/default.a ... ws&Item=13

"DEMYAN Sport Pistol SP22, GOLD in Beijing 2008
by Efim Khaydurov, developer of the legendary TOZ.
Reliable construction. Minimal movement when firing because of mass balance system. Grip from Ciro Fiore! 21 different sizes!
Made in Austria with Steyr Mannlicher barrel.
coming soon!"

Gold in Beijing 2008, I seriously doubt that!
ruig

Post by ruig »

TB wrote:Gold in Beijing 2008, I seriously doubt that!
Hm :-) marketing people don't feel/see any difference.

But we know that these two pistols aren't the same.

TB

Post by TB »

ruig wrote:
TB wrote:Gold in Beijing 2008, I seriously doubt that!
Hm :-) marketing people don't feel/see any difference.

But we know that these two pistols aren't the same.

What pistol is this, is the Demyan derived from it?
ruig

Post by ruig »

TB wrote: What pistol is this, is the Demyan derived from it?
On the photo above is KHR-31 .22 short (rebuild for .22 lr).

Khaidurov is employed by Demyan (chef designer?).

Khaidurov designed both these pistols with the difference of 30 years.
Tzed250

Post by Tzed250 »

Found this pic on the talk.guns.ru forum

Notice the "Made in Austria"

Attachments
Demyan SP.jpg
Demyan SP.jpg (33.72 KiB) Viewed 13341 times
william

Post by william »

"Made in Austria" = Forget about bargain pricing. My notoriously cloudy crystal ball advises to be amazed if it costs less than its Pardini, Benelli, etc. competitors.
Tzed250

Post by Tzed250 »

The $2000 figure was being thrown around...

ruig

Post by ruig »

have you ever meet someone who wants to work for free and in the same time shows QUALITY?
Tzed250

Post by Tzed250 »

ruig wrote:have you ever meet someone who wants to work for free and in the same time shows QUALITY?
I really don't think that was the issue. I think many saw the SP-08 as a successor to the IJ-35, a pistol with world class performance that was built with a Russian pricepoint. ISSF standard pistols have become extremely expensive in just the past five years. There is a gap in the high performance/moderate cost slot. The Austrian produced SP-08/SP22 will most likely cost too much to fill that gap.

ruig

Post by ruig »

Tzed250 wrote: I think many saw the SP-08 as a successor to the IJ-35, a pistol with world class performance that was built with a Russian pricepoint. ISSF standard pistols have become extremely expensive in just the past five years. There is a gap in the high performance/moderate cost slot. The Austrian produced SP-08/SP22 will most likely cost too much to fill that gap.
Successor? Everything, that these pistols have in common - is a caliber :-))

Is price of 2000 bucks too much for the pistol that will be used during next XY years (see TOZ, Hämmerli etc)?

I think that this product isn't "for fun"-market and the goal is not "to fill the gap". The goal is - Olympic medal - that counts.
There are some entry level cheap alternatives - Hämmerli x-esse, old brave Margolin or used Walther GSP from 70s for example etc.

The shooting sport is for someone who has money. Unfortunately.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

That being said, there's probably a market for a decent mid-grade target pistol. I don't think Ruger realized what a winner they could have just by taking a Mk II and putting a good trigger and decent sights on it.

But I don't mind paying Austrian prices for Austrian standards of fit and finish.