Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Judith Arifandi

Two Breath Technique

Post by Judith Arifandi »

Hi, I'm new in AP, around three month
I read articles that interest me. about breathing technique

you can find them >> http://www.shootingwiki.org/index.php?t ... #Breathing
For precision shots (50m, 10m, and 150 second series of Standard Pistol)

For beginning pistol shooters, the 'two breath' method is recommended for precision shots. For this:

* AFTER the shooter has the correct body position, AND the correct grip of the pistol
* You can take a slighly larger-than-normal breath to start the breating sequence - if you find that you take a longish time to release the shot, this slighly larger-than-normal breath will give your blood a bit more oxygen, but with the 'two breath method' and releasing the shot within a few second of getting into the desired aiming area you should not have much need for 'extra' oxygenation.
* The shooter inhales a NORMAL breath while raising the pistol to 'aim' in an area at the top of the target, and the sight alignment is adjusted (if necessary) while exhaling NORMALLY
* The shooter inhales a second NORMAL breath
* THEN while slowly lowering the pistol through the black aiming mark of the target, exhales (again, NORMALLY!)

* As the pistol comes through the desired aiming area, add pressure to the trigger
is any of you have tried it before? and is it made different/better result than common breathing technique?

Thx,
JA
Spencer

Re: Two Breath Technique

Post by Spencer »

Judith Arifandi wrote:...any of you have tried it before? and is it made different/better result than common breathing technique?...
I posted that piece on ShootingWiki based on the procedures we use at our State junior camps for precision shots - the procedures work equally well for 'seniors'.

The 'two breath' procedure is combined with area aim (i.e somewhere ABOUT halfway between the bottom of the aiming mark and the bottom of the target) with extremely good outcomes. We typically get even the worst shooters holding the black during the camp, with the better skilled noticably improving their groups.

It is not only an 'introductory' procedure - watch some of the ISSFTV videos of 10, 25 and 50m precision stages and note how many of the world's best pistol shooters use it.
RobStubbs

Re: Two Breath Technique

Post by RobStubbs »

Spencer wrote:
It is not only an 'introductory' procedure - watch some of the ISSFTV videos of 10, 25 and 50m precision stages and note how many of the world's best pistol shooters use it.
I must admit, I tend to teach the two breath technique to more advanced shooters, I don't think it offers too much to newer shooters, as they just get confused tring to remember too many things.

Rob.
Judith Arifandi

Post by Judith Arifandi »

I don't think it offers too much to newer shooters, as they just get confused tring to remember too many things.
don't worry, a lot of dry firing will help. and when real shooting, it's only need to do what the muscles remember. :D

No one taught me here about two breath. So I was a bit surprised.

Thx a lot,
JA
Ted

Post by Ted »

I find as I get older I need two breaths!
As a junior coach myself, I have not taught this but, will add it to my inventory of techniques. The key to anything though, especially when you are coaching juniors, is to emphasize consistency. A shooter needs to do whatever technique you are teaching on a consistent basis and try it for a while (usually several months at lest) before deciding something does or does not work for them.