Much interest in an adjust. target stock for Savage Mk I/II

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

daviscustom

Much interest in an adjust. target stock for Savage Mk I/II

Post by daviscustom »

Just been kicking around the idea of making an adjustable stock for the Savage CMP rifles....wondering how much demand there might be for such.

Considering building from scratch or using an existing aftermarket stock and modifying it to accept Anschutz accessories. The idea being that you could buy some of the Annie stuff for the Savage and later on upgrade to the Anschutz with a little less pain involved. Just curious what something like that would be worth to the junior 3-p shooters out there...don't know if it would be worth the trouble.

The most interesting stock I have found to mod is Sharp Shooter Supply's MTR. Apparently, from another post, they will install a rail for $30, but starting at $254 before doing anything else to the stock is kinda high. Anyone know if they will wholesale? Surely they would do a quantity discount if nothing else.

Not looking to make my first million or anything...just saw a huge gap between factory Mk I/II and the Ansch. 1903. Might be better to figure out a way to mod the factory stock and do a trade in deal. Definitely could keep the cost down that way but I don't know if that stock could be made rigid enough in the fore-end area for rail/sling to not affect zero.

Any guesses on the demand?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Here would be one of your competitors: http://pdccustom.com/index.php?main_pag ... ucts_id=55
daviscustom

Post by daviscustom »

I saw that one, but some folks aren't too whoopy about aluminum stocks. I myself prefer the looks of a wood stock. As far as I know they are the only option out there right now. I'm guessing they are in the right price range though.
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

The Savage "plastic" stock is pretty awful. It's not rigid, has no accessory rail and the comb is way too low for the target sights installed. However, for our boy scout program it is cost effective and not easily damaged. I plan to change the stocks for our junior 3P smallbore team.

I'd be happy with a wood or laminate stock with adjustable comb and butt plate. Would not mind if the adjustment was with spacers similar to the old Daisy XS40 air rifle or the butt plate on the Daisy 887 air rifle.

I've ordered a Sharp Shooter Supply stock for trial.
daviscustom

Post by daviscustom »

I wonder if a rail was inletted into the fore-end and epoxied in around it with Devcon plastic steel if that would stiffen it up enough.... maybe if the action was bedded as well so the entire stock was epoxy filled from the action forward (with the barrel free floated) . I think with a little head scratching and lots of epoxy bedding inside the butt-stock that fittings could be installed for an adj. cheek rest and butt plate. The trick would be getting something that sticks permanently to the plastic. All the extra bedding material and frustration may out-weigh the cost savings over working with a wood stock. It would suck in a big way to have it fall apart six months down the road.
weilers

Post by weilers »

Check out a previous post I made about the Savage Mark II.

viewtopic.php?t=26392&highlight=savage