Where to Start

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Antipentium

Where to Start

Post by Antipentium »

My son has decided that he really wants to get into Olympic 3p shooting. We have spent a lot of time with my old Anschutz 54s and I just got him a really nice 2013.
I am in Wilmington Delaware and I can find NOTHING on anything close. There seems to be the benchrest people about but nothing 3p.
Also any good books, DVDs etc that can help him ?
Thanks so much for the help.
weilers

Post by weilers »

MEC, the German shooting supplier puts out a book called Ways of the Rifle. I cannot think of a Competitive Supplier (Champion's Choice, Champion Shooters, Creedmoor, etc.) that I have that doesn't carry the book. The English version runs around $60 or so. This, in the opinions of many (including myself) is probably the best book out there in terms of smallbore.

I live not to far from you in Southern PA and I know that, as of last week when I checked last, there aren't any USA Shooting SB Rifle events scheduled this year anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic this year. However, I do know that the NRA has typically hold enough SB events to make it worth while. You can check out the listings of NRA Smallbore events in Shooting Sports USA. While I know it's not USAS, but it does get him competing nonetheless. It also, depending on his age, opens up a lot of doors to NRA shooting camps, NRA Coaching, College Competiton, and the like. Between Smallbore and Int'l Rifle, there should be at least another 5 or 6 competitions this year between MD and PA alone.

Also, I'd take a shot (no pun intended) with the CMP Youth program. A lot of CMP-affiliated clubs have good youth programs. In addition, the Delaware might have a shooting sports component attached to 4-H, Explorer's Post, etc.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck
Antipentium

Post by Antipentium »

Book ordered.
If it was not so hot out we would be shooting now.
We got in trouble for shooting in the basement again.
Need to find him a good air Rifle.
weilers

Post by weilers »

Have you thought about finding an indoor range? I hate to see you shooting in your basement. During the winter, there are a couple of postal matches that your son can do at an indoor range. Hap Rocketto ran a monthly 50-feet indoor postal match (http://pronematch.com/pickering-postal/). I also know that Mr. Lyman up at the Blue Rail Range in CT will do a couple postal matches during the Winter months.

I shot pistol for years before coming back to SB Rifle and I know there are many, many indoor range operators out there who would be more than happy to have a young SB shooter come in and practice.
Antipentium

Post by Antipentium »

My plan is to find him an Anschutz Air Rifle and then he can practice out in the back yard all day long. deal I made with the wife is I would sell my Anschutz 1717 and my prize Swarovski scope to get the air rifle. I am so excited to see how much people care about making this a bigger and better sport...
Antipentium

Post by Antipentium »

So I ordered him an Anschutz 8002 from Champion Shooters. Figured if I am going to go then go big.
Now to tell the wife and then duck
weilers

Post by weilers »

Why tell the wife?
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

weilers wrote:Why tell the wife?
Probably a better chance of survival if he pitches it in advance at the right moment, rather than when she comes down to find out what the pinging is in the basement :D
Although as they say, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...
Antipentium

Post by Antipentium »

Well went ahead and got him one of the best and we have set up a great area in the back yard for practice. He is getting used to the Air Rifle now and with the 100+ heat we had in Delaware putting on the jacket was out of the question, maybe next week...
Wife is OK with it so far...
Attachments
bron1.jpg
bron1.jpg (27.36 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
Tzed250

Position

Post by Tzed250 »

I think you will want to look at some current photos and video of top level 3P shooters to get an idea of good position form. Your sons rifle setup is not allowing an errect head position. The rifle should have plenty of adjustment to allow this. Lowering the buttplate is the first step. Hope this helps, and good luck!!!

Antipentium

Post by Antipentium »

All help welcome, That was the first time he shot it and it was a break in. Have been working on adjusting things and looking through Ways of the Rifle for help.
Thank You
robf

Post by robf »

you could probably benefit from getting some sight risers to max out the foresight and rearsight height wise... the max distance from foresight centre to barrel centre is 60mm, the rear can be anything because it's limited by the range as to the height it will be... but this will help that head position and reduce strain on the neck... a lot.

then play with the butt by testing to see how the gun points with the eyes closed relative to the target... too high, lower the butt, too low then raise it. Most end up with the butt very low.

And relax that elbow ;) have fun.

Ways of the rifle is a very good book, but take it at a spoonful at a time, and don't try and cram in too much.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Michelle Macuciveik (sp?) runs a great youth program in Rhode Island, it can;t be that far from you. Newport Rifle Club I think.

there is a lot of good info here
http://pilkguns.com/menu_coaching.shtml