Weak extraction in a 1963 Anschutz 54

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

NateG

Weak extraction in a 1963 Anschutz 54

Post by NateG »

I'm having what I think is weak extraction from my 1963-manufactured 54 Supermatch. The result is a fired case lying in the action about half the time, and a successfully ejected case the other half. It appears that when the case is pulled all the way to the ejector, the case is ejected. But the rest of the time, the case is released from the extractor (older, single extractor version) before reaching the extractor.

When looking at the extractor, I can push it to the rear (into the bolt body) about .050", and when I do that, it sits right at the rim of a case, gripping it much more solidly. Now for the speculation: I think the extractor might have worn on the pivot in its 47 years. If that is the issue, is it easy to replace the extractor? Is it a readily available part? Or am I completely wrong, and the problem's likely somewhere else?

Thanks for the help,
Nate
ZD

Reply to 1963 Anschutz

Post by ZD »

When my Anschutz 1807 broke down, I had to borrow my coaches rifle who had an Anschutz action and stock like yours. The bolt had one extractor on it, like yours, and about half of the cases would stay in the chamber (or fly up in the air and land in the chamber) and I would have to pull it out with my hand. My coach said this was normal, due to the fact that their is only one extractor. However, I found a way to pretty much solve the problem. I found that if I opened the bolt (without pulling it back) pushed slightly and lightly forward, and than opened the bolt back, the rifle seemed to consistently eject the brass. This doesn't add more than a few tenths of a second to the routine. Try it, and please let me know if it works.
NateG

Post by NateG »

ZD,

I found a spent case lying around, and it does seem to work better. It worked every time I tried it (and ejected about half the time working the bolt normally), but I'll have to see how it works in position. But it appears to be a big improvement. Thanks!
ZD

Post by ZD »

Your welcome.