Circadian rythm

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
schatzperson

Circadian rythm

Post by schatzperson »

I wonder which would be the best time to train in the various aspects of shooting in our circadian rythm:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Biolo ... _human.svg

Certainly, there might be some adjustments in individual cases, BUT since shooting is a sport that requires a particular set of cordination, stamina skills and evenness of temperament ( coolheadedness?), I am sure that one can derive a training time for best results.

I have long known that my best strength and stamina times are at about 17:00, which coincides exactly with the peak nin muscle strength;
But I am sure that the daily seratonin/melatonin/cortisol secretions play their part here.
I am guessing that the 10:00 high alertness ( though this might mean jitters) and 14:30 to 15:30 best cordination/reaction times are indicative of optmum training times.
Attachments
Circadian rythm
Circadian rythm

Post by Guest »

But the problem comes in when you have to go shoot matches. They don't tend to be conveniently scheduled around a personal circadian rhythm.
schatzperson

Circadian

Post by schatzperson »

I was refering to planning training schedules.
BorzoiDad

Rhythms

Post by BorzoiDad »

It would seem to me that if this a concern, then the best time to practice is at the time you expect to shoot matches. That way you would learn how your body is reacting and the required compensation for it.
schatzperson

Circadian

Post by schatzperson »

The scope of this question is to find the best possible training period when you are best in tune to execute action and absorb benefits through feedback of the natural learning process.
It appears that some instances during the cycle are better siuted than others for a particular action. For example, early morning cortisol boosts might make an individual jittery and moody, decreasing steadiness and learning potential.
The aim of the question is to find the best training times for long term benefits.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I just kept a record of my scores and the time of the day I shot my practice.
I found that I generally shoot better in the morning. Which is interesting, as I am not a morning person. But apparently by body does better, even if I don't think I am.
schatzperson

Circadian

Post by schatzperson »

Interesting Gary.
May I ask if that is early or late in the morning?
About 30 mins after we wake up we have a surge of the stress hormone cortisol; Makes us irritable enough to dispell sleepiness, but perhaps not a good precursor for quality shooting, however this does not last long.

Hopwever about 3 hours later ther is a high alertness state you might be tapping into.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'm with Borzoidad on this one. Train when it's toughest for you, not when it's easiest.

Of course, I personally train at all times and don't concern myself with this.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

For me it was mid morning about 8-9am, about 2 hrs after waking up.
So my waking up "fuzzies" are gone. :-)
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

He's not asking what time of the day do you shoot best, he's asking what time of the day do you learn best. Which is an important aspect of actually training and instruction (not the usual crap that passes for training the go out and shoot 60 +sighters).
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Richard

I replied to his question

"Interesting Gary.
May I ask if that is early or late in the morning? "
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Gary you were the only one that answered the actual question, even after he explained it.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Of course, I personally train at all times and don't concern myself with this.
Sounds a lot like my approach.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Completely off the subject but the only rythem that is important to me is that rythem that produces the perfect shot on the target. Good Shooting Bill Horton
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:But the problem comes in when you have to go shoot matches. They don't tend to be conveniently scheduled around a personal circadian rhythm.
Agreed, and likewise for 99% of us, training times also can't be fitted in around a biorhythm chart. Most of probably work during the day, and train of an evening (and generally when our clubs are open).

There could be some mileage in training at optimum times, for those that have the luxury to do so, but only on the proviso that they get back into training for the important matches at match times, in the competition phase of their training plan.

Rob.
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

Although this does not apply directly to shooting, in my work as a university mathematics professor, I just published an article in the Far East Journal of Mathematcial Education which concludes that the time of day does not have a significant effect on student learning. The study utlized four years worth of data and I have to think that this result would apply to to your question about when do you learn the best. Just my thoughts and please feel free to disagree.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

pmessina wrote:Although this does not apply directly to shooting, in my work as a university mathematics professor, I just published an article in the Far East Journal of Mathematcial Education which concludes that the time of day does not have a significant effect on student learning. The study utlized four years worth of data and I have to think that this result would apply to to your question about when do you learn the best. Just my thoughts and please feel free to disagree.
Wow. So you've never sat in a meeting after lunch and almost fallen asleep mid afternoon, never worked night shift? I beg to differ and most of science does too, there are definite low points in human activity, which would include learning.

Exactly how did you perform your study? Is there a way to view it on line?
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

Ah, I can always depend on my friend Richard to be my cross-check! You can view the absract online but if you are interested in the full article, just PM me your e-mail address and I will gladly send a copy (pdf format) to you.

As for most of science disagreeing, the current research actually shows that there is an almost even split on this issue in regards to the learning environment amongst academics. If you have some literature that significantly differs from this, please send it along as I am always interested in peer reviewed information. Now, that said, perhaps university students are better equipped to handle the different times of day compared to us "older" folks. Maybe I am just not boring in my presentation skills and my students are able to maintain a solid focus. While there are certainly highs and lows in the human body I would argue that a meeting is not a learning environment, nor is the night shift on a job.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Or maybe the university folk are always operating at a sub-par level, that is always a possibility too.

I did have a fair bit of info on this subject, mostly how it relates to accidents and Health & Safety in various workplaces. I'll see if I can dig the papers out and scan them. I know they were from NASA, USAF, USN and FAA, some of them were fairly old. Maybe your's show that we humans are adapting to our 24/7 world.

Sent you PM.

I really was just wondering how narrowly focused your experiment was. Was it just cognitive abilities and their deterioration or did it also include phsyical tasks?
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

Hi Richard,

I would love to see those papers if you can find them. My research tracked the overall academic achievement of students in my College Geometry course at my university so in that respect, it indeed has a bit of a narrow focus. The impetus for the study was that students always complain about the time of day that classes are offered and so I did an ex-post-facto study to see if that was the case in that particular course. Anyway, I digress, I will send you a copy of the paper so that we do not clog up the forum with this.

Paul