Morini rear sight - No more adjustment

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ColinC

Morini rear sight - No more adjustment

Post by ColinC »

OK here is one for the more technical savvy among you.
My Morini 162E has no more adjustment. I have the sights wound across as far as possible to the right and still the gun groups in the nine ring at nine o'clock.
The only way I am making do is to aim a bit to the right.
Is there any other adjustment I can make. I have even thought of moving the front sight to the left of centre to counteract the situation.
I have never had the rear sight apart because I seem to recall Steve Swartz recounting how he dismantled his.
I don't have the time or patience to search the house for a spring which has jetisoned itself into orbit and then entered another dimension, so I leave alone what I don't know.
That's why I am asking you gurus who know.
Regards Colin
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

My guess is that you have the rear sight opened up quite wide. This limits the amount you can adjust the sights to the right as the width adustment only moves the right hand blade. To check if this is the problem then make the rear sight notch narrower and the try the windage adjustment.

If this is the problem then, in case you haven't got it, here is what Steve posted back in February 2006. I don't know of any other option.

O.K., I had to go through soem fine tuning on my new 162E. I have a 6mm front blade (barn door) and use about 1/3 the front width on either side (open barn doors) on a sub six hold (front sight on bottom edge of barn doors).

Bad eyes.

Anyhow, I first noticed that it appeared as though I could have either wide notch, or centered notch, but not both. I Feel Your Pain.

If you aren't comfortable chasing little springy bits around your house, stop now and send to Scott.

Assuming you are prepared to completely disassemble your rear sight assembly, do so now. When you get to the point where the rear notch sub assembly is "free," you will note that (oh by the way, put that spring that just went flying across the room in a Safe Place. And yeah, hope you got a real good look at exactly how it is supposed to go back in cause it's real easy to do it wrong) the two halves of the blade can be rotated along the two-threaded rod piece they are attached to. The rod is counter threaded (IIRC) so screwing them in the same direction actually moves them in tandem along the rod left-right; screwing them in opposite directions makes them either closer together or farther apart.

Hope you counted the number of clicks used when disassembling the rear sight assembly . . . this comes in real handy later so you can tell whether or not you actually amde things better before reassembling the whole danged thing to find out you actually just made it worse! As you unscrew the rear blade subassembly using the L/R adjustment screw you are creeping the two blade halves along the double-threaded rod at the same time. This gets clearer here in a paragraph or two.

Once the rear blade subassembly is free, take a moment and admire the elegance of this engineering solution. No, seriously! Cussing out the design engineers right now isn't helping. It is a quite clever piece at that.

O.K., what you are trying to do is get the blades wide apart, but way over on the left side of the rod. When you screw the rod-blades subassembly back in, you want there to be enough threads left to get the RH blade over to the RH side without running out of thread.

This is really hard to explain without your actually seeing it.

You will have to flop the left blade >>out<< (notch wider!) a few revolutions (how many is a few? wish I knew. I didn't follow the advice I'm giving you right now; I had to Find Out The Hard Way). ANyhow, I think two or three revolutions should do it . . . oops, the left blade just popped off the rod! O.K., one less than that then. Stiff upper lip now; back at it!

Anyhow, be prepared to fiddle with this several times installing/tweaking/re-installing before you get it just right.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Thanks David

I recalled that Steve's piece was one where it was a bit of trial and error involved and chasing those springy bits around the room.
Will try closing the gap tonight and seeing if I can get a few more clicks to the right. Either that or I'll have to relocate my right eyeball. Not sure I am game to fiddle with it myself.
A young female shooter who uses my pistol moves the sights 15 clicks to the left to get it back into what she regards as"normal" eyesight territory.
regards Colin
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

I think you have some troubles with your grip...
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just bend your barrel. It doesn't have to be much.

(That's if the above fixes don't make you happy.)
yana

Post by yana »

Agree with buonvento. It has to be something with yr stance technique or grip.
Vertically, the adjustment of the 162 cán give problems, never heard about horizontally though.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

yana wrote:Vertically, the adjustment of the 162 cán give problems, never heard about horizontally though.
I had the same windage problem when I first got my 162EI; it is far from unusual.

I too have (so far) chickened out of carrying out Steve's "adjustments", changing to a narrower front sight allowing a narrower rear sight notch.

I also had the problem of not getting enough elevation but that was easily rectified by putting a 2-3mm spacer between the rear sight and its carrier.
Rover

Post by Rover »

All this effort when a simple barel "straightening" will do the job.

Pull up barrel straightening on the web and you'll see what a simple thing it is and how frequently done by manufacturers.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:Pull up barrel straightening on the web and you'll see what a simple thing it is and how frequently done by manufacturers.
Not everyone can do it properly first time.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

David Levene wrote:
Rover wrote:Pull up barrel straightening on the web and you'll see what a simple thing it is and how frequently done by manufacturers.
Not everyone can do it properly first time.
I recall hearing/reading that that gun still shot one-hole groups. Do you know any more about it?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

john bickar wrote:Do you know any more about it?
Sorry John. It's just a picture I pulled from my "amusing but useless" folder.
FredB

Curly barrel

Post by FredB »

I think that may be the FWB 2 that I saw in the Beeman airgun "museum" in Santa Rosa, CA. The Beeman store had a room with a bunch of glass cases displaying a variety of airguns from Beeman's collection. IIRC (it's been a long time) the little info card with the gun said that the barrel was twisted by the FWB factory to show that it was only the last few cm of the barrel that affected accuracy, and that the gun indeed did shoot just as well as the more prosaic straight barrel version. No demonstrations were offered.

FredB
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

OK guys, back to the thread. I followed David's advice, closed up the gap on my bucket sights and guess what? I could move my sights to the right as desired. Fired a 554 in competition last night, aiming for a trip into the 560s next week now I have the sights worked out again.

As for the guys suggesting there is something wrong with my stance or grip. I have put this thing in a vice (I think Americans spell it vise) and with my sights unchanged it hits exactly where the sights are aimed for my eyesight. Do you think I should alter the way the vice is attached to the bench, or maybe squeeze my hand into the vice as well?

You need to admit that people's eyes are different and some need to move their sights large amounts left or right. Otherwise we would have manufacturers mass producing pistols with fixed sights. 15-20 clicks laterally is not uncommon.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Americans have vices and vises. I'm more inclined towards the former.
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

I think that we all have to fit the grip to our hands before starting shooting. With all my pistols, when I aim to the target, I have the front sight very high on the rear sight and a bit on the right side. Maybe there is something wrong in my hand...
If I don't fit the grip, I can't hit the target on the black. After this, I can give how many clicks I need on the range, no more than 2 - 3.