Rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

SCHSRifle

Rifle

Post by SCHSRifle »

I am a junior shooter and have started getting pretty good in smallbore(560-570) and the gun im using juat doesnt have the grouping capibilities in the vice tht i would like. really interested in the anschutz 1813 or 1913 wood stock if any one has one or know of one please send me a message or an email at lizard@dishmail.net

connor
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Connor ....

While the grouping in a vice can give you a starting point, how it shoots out of your shoulder is what matters.

Quick questions;
What rifle are you shooting now?
What ammo?
What are your prone score averages for 10 shot strings?
50ft or 50y/m?
How tall are you?

BTW ... the 1913 is a good gun .... If you can, save up the cash and watch the Buy, Sell, Trade area on this board often. A 1913 would probably be posted & sold the same day.
SCHSRifle

Post by SCHSRifle »

the rifle i hve now is an anschutz 1907
i am using wolf /sk ammo
at 50m my prone is about a 97
i am six foot tall
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Well, since I can't test the rifle myself w/different ammo it's hard to say it shoots badly ... especially if your averaging a 97 in prone with it ... seems like that is just fine.

You are correct .... I think the 1913 stock would benefit you ... the 1907 stock (to me) is hard to get my head low enough w/o risers.

Again keep an eye on the B/S/T area ... these do appear.
gtrisdale

Post by gtrisdale »

If your concern is that your rifle is not as accurate as it should be, then you need to test it with several different lot numbers of high end ammo. You should try Eley Tenex, RWS R50 and Lapua. Clean your barrel thoroughly before testing each different lot number. If you cannot get a good group out of a test vise , then a new rifle or at least a new barrel might be needed.

1907s can be very accurate rifles. The current USA Shooting J2 record for 3x20 (589x600) was shot with a 1907 and Eley ammo.

If you are looking for a rifle that is bigger, heavier and/or with more adjustability, then a 1913 might be what you are looking for. If you decide to move to a bigger gun , then the first question you need to answer is "wood or aluminum". That has been the topic of numerous other threads.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Agree with the above. Try some decent ammo from different manufacturers and see how they shoot from a rest. One tip is don't waste money on Tenex, use eley match as it's essentially the same ammo. Tenex is only of use if you've batch tested different Tenex batches against each other and selected the best of them.

Rob.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Other alternatives are a bore firelap (very easy with a .22), a muzzle recrowning, or a bedding job; all MUCH cheaper than a new barrel.

If they don't work, you're out very little and still have the rebarrel option.

Personally, I would test more ammo before doing anything else.