Free-Pistol grips for a LP50E?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
barbados

Free-Pistol grips for a LP50E?

Post by barbados »

I shoot silhoutte and have an LP50E on order from Pilk, but I'm looking for a laminate free-pistol (wrap-around) grip for the gun.

Larry's guns sells the Rink free style, but not for an LP50E.

There is a guy I shoot with that swears his free-style grip for his LP50 came from Rink a few years ago.

I've searched till I'm blue in the face and I cannot locate this grip.

Can one of you astute guys shed some light on my search?

Thanks!

-dave-
Philadelphia

Re: Free-Pistol grips for a LP50E?

Post by Philadelphia »

barbados wrote:I shoot silhoutte and have an LP50E on order from Pilk, but I'm looking for a laminate free-pistol (wrap-around) grip for the gun.

Larry's guns sells the Rink free style, but not for an LP50E.

There is a guy I shoot with that swears his free-style grip for his LP50 came from Rink a few years ago.

I've searched till I'm blue in the face and I cannot locate this grip.

Can one of you astute guys shed some light on my search?

Thanks!

-dave-
The stock LP10 grips fit the LP50 by removing the plastic spacer. Maybe the Rinks are similar. Have you called Larry to ask what he can get for free pistol? Might be worth the call.

Just noticed you said E. Still might be worth a call.
barbados

Post by barbados »

Thanks for the quick reply, but I think I misled you.

When I spoke with the lady at Larry's, she said the free-style Rink grips were only available for the free-style pistols, not Steyr PCP air pistols.

But my shooting pal has a set on his LP50 and swears they are Rinks (?)

The lady said they wouldn't be legal for olympic pistol, which I realize, but I'm not shooting Olympic with this gun.

So there is the quandry. (?)

-dave-
Makris D. G.

Post by Makris D. G. »

E-mail Thomas Rink. It is possible that he will accept to make the grips, for a premium most probably as they are not a catalogue item.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Makris D. G. wrote:E-mail Thomas Rink. It is possible that he will accept to make the grips, for a premium most probably as they are not a catalogue item.
Exactly my reply. Thomas makes custom grips so I'd be suprised if he couldn't make one. It won't be cheap but IME made to order grips are no more than 50% more expensive than standard ones.

Rob.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

The Steyr FP grip would probably fit the LP50, perhaps with some minor mods. I used a LP5 grip on the FP for test purposes, and that worked fine. So it may be true that somebody did exactly that, vice versa. As there is no FP-E, probably no way to get what you want without going custom. If you really want it, talk to Thomas Rink - his grips are made on CAD/CNC, so he should be able to do whatever you like, as long as there is space for a gun inside.
barbados

Post by barbados »

Thanks Makris D.G. and RobStubbs.

I'll e-mail Mr. Rink today. That's probably how the fellow that sold my buddy his LP50 got those grips.

When I got into this 'hobby', I had no idea that pellet guns and accessories cost so much. So, I'm prepared to not be shocked if he is able to produce them for me. (ha!)

Thanks for taking the time to help.

-dave-
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Look at the upside - the stuff you buy will be good for many years, completely unlike that snowboard or yonder mountainbike ;-)
barbados

Post by barbados »

You're right, Tycho. That's the way I look at it, too.

But i tell my wife it's an investment.

Who ever saw a Brinks truck at a funeral, yes?
Cones

Post by Cones »

Be aware that the LP50E grip has the battery and the PCB board inside it.

But Rink make a LP10E grip and should be able to accommodate that in a LP50E variation.

HTH

Mark
woodhenge

Post by woodhenge »

I have a Rink grip for an LP 50-E and am quite satified with it. I have modified it so that it mimics the Rink grip on my Pardini SP. But the basic form of the two grips is almost identical.
barbados

Post by barbados »

I appreciate all the input, guys. Thanks so much.

I'm building my ultimate silhoutte air pistol. The Steyr has been on order for about two months (how long does it take?).

I shoot unlimited any sight so I had leupold build a custom scope that has parallex down to 10M and 20+" of eye relief:

Now, all I need are those wrap-around FP grips and I'll be a happy camper.

My goal is to have one ultimate pistol for each disipline.

Wow! Takes time, yes?

-dave-
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi Barbados, I don't think there can be an ultimate pistol for airpistol silhouette.
I also don't know if a freepistol wrap around grip will aid you if you use a
the typical two-hand hold. I believe building the shooting skills is far more
important than techno-gun setup. I have shot AG silhouette and I will shoot
it again soon. I have swinger silhouette swinger silhouette targets set up
at the proscribed 10yds-12.5yds-15yds-18yds, on my backyard 10 meter
course. I have nearly cleaned the course many times using a Marksman 2004,
Gamo Compact, Diana 6M, FEG gpm-01, Steyr LP1C and an FWB 100. this is all done
offhand(single handed) with regular open sights, set for a deep six aim. I'm also
a mediocre 10 meter AP shooter, my best score is in the high 540's.
The LP50 that you ordered will be an awesome tool, just with the open
sights. Good Luck;

TG
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I know nothing about silhouette shooting.

Apart from the "E" trigger why would you choose the LP50E over the LPS.
barbados

Post by barbados »

Hi, paw080.

I agree with you about the ultimate airgun not making any, or little, difference in ones score. It is indeed the mastery of the art rather than the tool at hand that wins.

I am unable to shoot standing with iron sights due to health and vision constraints. I shoot in the creedmore position and, until lately, used a holographic scope which is generally fine for 38-40 out of 40 targets, but when they put those little 1/5 scale chickens at 18 yards for a shootoff, I'm finished. Just can't see them anymore. Hence the scope.

The reason for the LP50E is that I'm an engineer and I covet state-of-the-art engineering. I was compelled to order this not so much as it would in any way improve my game, but it was a great and well thought-out engineering and construction feat.

Now, Mr. Levene asks why not the LPS? Actually, when I first saw that pistol last year I called Pilk to order it and was told it was too long for silhouette in the states(!?) I guess it must be OK in the rest of the world or Steyr wouldn't have made it, yes?

So, that's the story, guys. I appreciate all the input and comments as they make me more aware and provoke the thought process (which slows sometimes for me. haha).

-dave-
superstring

Post by superstring »

barbados wrote:

I am unable to shoot standing with iron sights due to health and vision constraints. I shoot in the creedmore position .........

-dave-
Hi barbados

Just checked out the creedmore position, isn't that awfully hard on the neck?
barbados

Post by barbados »

superstring wrote: "....isn't that awfully hard on the neck?"

It's terrible. We just had a west coast championship match and I just shot in air pistol and small bore, each 60 shots with 5 sighters each and it took 4 days to get back to normal! Some of the guys shot air, SB, BB, FP and up the 3 guns each disipline. Don't know how they do it.

They use another position for Unlimited called "The dead frog" and it isn't quite so hard on the neck, but I haven't mastered it yet.

I've shot bullseye all my life and my buddy got me interested in this silhoutte stuff. I remember asking him what the difference was between bullseye and silhoutte and he said they were the same only silhoutte didn't have a 9 ring! ha!

So, it has worked well for me except the sore neck thing.

-dave-
kumimajava

Post by kumimajava »

I'll second the suggestion on emailing Rink directly. I sent him a query similar to yours a few days ago (wanted a grip that fits both LP50 and LP10), and got a reply (within 2 working days) from Thomas himself.

His comment: "the option isn't listed on our website because in the standard configuration, the grip (from lp10) won't fit (lp50) - but if you would like, we can make you one that fits both pistols. after all, we make custom grips".

sounds like good service to me :)
barbados

Post by barbados »

Good karma, kumimajava! Thanks!

I was going to email him this weekend but the 4th celebrations did me in, so tomorrow at the office he's on my short-list.

I think he has a good service, indeed. And I hope he'll accommodate this lone silhouette rebel.

Thanks so much for the input! :)
barbados

Post by barbados »

Just to add closure to this thread, Mr. Rink has agreed to make custom free-pistol grips for the LP50E.

He said "no problem, that's what we're here for".

US$365 delivered from Germany. Just about what I thought.

Thanks to you all for you prodding me to contact Mr. Rink directly. Just because their North American distributor says "no", does not necessary mean 'no', yes? ;)

-dave-