TRAINING CAMPS

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

guidolastra

TRAINING CAMPS

Post by guidolastra »

Hi, I would like to know if someone in this forum knows about upcoming training camps in air rifle and smallbore 50 meters prone and 3 P.
Due to my job I have some time available for this in mid-September. I was planning to go to MEC's ISSS, but our schedules could not be accomodated.
SocorranThunder

Post by SocorranThunder »

I'm not sure I can tell you anything specific, especially for September...

If you can contact coaches that are involved in a lot of camps, they can usually give you some options. Paul Davis is involved in many clinics and camps.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

SocorranThunder wrote:Paul Davis is involved in many clinics and camps.
This who I think it is ... EB?
If so how was Vermont?
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

SocorranThunder wrote:I'm not sure I can tell you anything specific, especially for September...

If you can contact coaches that are involved in a lot of camps, they can usually give you some options. Paul Davis is involved in many clinics and camps.

Sorry for the ignorance, but who is Paul Davis?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Paul is a rifle coach out of South Carolina who is on the National Coach Development Staff. He's been involved in many NRA/USAS Advanced camps in Vermont and Minnesota as well as smaller smallbore camps here in New Mexico. Many of the NRA/USAS/CMP rifle coach schools are taught by Paul.
From his "Coach On Call" flyer from a few years ago:
Paul L Davis, LTC USA (Ret): Member of the NRA/CMP/USAS National Coach Development Staff; L3 International Coach; Head Coach, NRA National Advanced Junior Shooting Camp (VT, MN twice), and HI; Rifle Coach, National Junior Olympic Shooting Camps, USOTC 1985; Director, National Junior Olympic Shooting Camps, USOTC, Colorado Springs from 1987 to 1992; Head Rifle Coach, National Junior Olympic Shooting Camp 1995; Rifle Coach, Union High School Stingers 1979-2006 whose teams won 13 National Championships; had 13 National Champions, and 11 team members obtained NCAA grants-in-aid; two former team members NCAA All Americans; Club received two NRA Most Outstanding Junior Club Awards, 11 NRA Most Improved Club Awards and numerous NRA Presidents Awards; Head Coach, Advanced Rifle Camp, Salem Oregon, 2002-date; former Operations Officer, US Army Marksmanship Unit 1974-79; Assistant Coach, US Shooting Team, 2005 World Cup.
His email address is CoachOnCall at charter dot net

In short he's a great coach for the youngsters as well as coaches.
I highly recommend. All of my smallbore shooters have attended one of his clinics or camps.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Paul was my L1 instructor (I'm now L2). He'll tell you what he honestly thinks. If you're indoors with Paul, make sure your floors are concrete or reinforced, you'll learn why!

By the way, noticing a need out there for adults who need coaching, not just juniors. I know of a couple of adults in different parts of the country who are looking for coaching, but unable to find it somewhat locally. Because of distance, I can't help them. Not a huge need, but it's there, and we as a sport need to be aware of the need.

I'm in the Raleigh, NC area and willing to help if/when needed.

Perry 3P in a little more than one week and prone matches in two weeks!
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

[quote="Telecomtodd"]
By the way, noticing a need out there for adults who need coaching, not just juniors. I know of a couple of adults in different parts of the country who are looking for coaching, but unable to find it somewhat locally. Because of distance, I can't help them. Not a huge need, but it's there, and we as a sport need to be aware of the need.quote]
That is very true, indeed. I am sure there are many adults, like myself, needing some mid to high level training around here, and so far the only option appears to be Europe...
SocorranThunder

Post by SocorranThunder »

Yep, SocorranThunder is indeed EB!

Sorry, I should have actually said who Paul is, and not just dropped his name. He's a great coach, and yeah, he will tell you exactly what he thinks. Especially if he thinks you're doing something stupid or inefficient. But he's got a great sense of humor, so it's never stung when he corrects me.

There's really no one place that I've found where camps/matches are listed. You have to search around (NRA, USA Shooting, your state association) and ask around, since a lot of them I only find out about by word of mouth.