Looking for a place near cockeysville to shoot 10M Air Rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Looking for a place near cockeysville to shoot 10M Air Rifle

Post by Guest »

Hi, I am looking for any place near Cockeysville, Timonium, Lutherville Area to practice 10M Air Rifle only. Most of the Club are located far away from my location and they are maily concentrating firearms only (Rifle, Shotgun or Handgun) also most of them are charging a handsome fee for becoming member (Associated Gun Club Batch etc ) even though you are not interested in firearms event. Since I lived in a Rented Apartment in cockeysville , I cannot use basement for Indoor range. Is there any school or club or public range near to my location where I can practice 10M Air Rifle. I will be carrying my own gun , pelletes, and targets just need a place to shoot. I am even ready to pay a reasonable fee if the facilities are good and near to my location. I appriciate any help on this from fellow members.

Thanks ,
Datta
Rover

Post by Rover »

Were I in your shoes I would just find a little spot in the woods where I wouldn't be bothered. You really don't need anything fancy. Think outside the box.
dsaptarshi

Post by dsaptarshi »

Thanks Rover, I really dont have anything fancy either. I dont have any shooting jacket , shoes or gloves , Just a basic FWB 601, some pellets and targets , I am using a 10$ workmens gloves as my shooting gloves, I may consider shooting in woods but that may draw unnecessary attention of neighbors near the woods and cause problem, as not everybody can differentiate between a Competition Air Rifle and a deer hunting rifle :)
weilers

Post by weilers »

I don't live too far from you in York. I work in the land-use industry in our region. I hate to be the bringer of bad news but, you don't have many options, but you do have some. In most of the country, yes, you could get away with taking the FWB out in the woods and knocking off a few pellets without any trouble. As I'm sure you've noticed, you're not in most of the country.

You live in a really, really sensitive area. The County Code treats airguns the same as firearms. It is prohibited to fire an airgun (or firearm) in the following places:

(1) The limits of the metropolitan district of the county;

(2) A nondistrict enclave within the metropolitan district; or

(3) An appendage attached to the metropolitan district.

On top of the base ordinance, you have to deal with both a County and State which isn't particularly fond of anything that shoots. Most of your county is urbanized, plus you're in an area where regular looking woods are actually Wildlife Refuges and Federal weapons testing facilities. Not all facilities are marked either.

If you don't have a common-wall neighbor, as in apartment, condominium, or townhouse, you can probably get away with shooting indoors. If that's not an option, try an indoor shooting range. Most indoor ranges will accomidate you.