New Father.... 4H Shooting Sports

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Stubs

New Father.... 4H Shooting Sports

Post by Stubs »

So our local 4H Chapter has finally brought back shooting sports after 5 years of not having a program.

My son is signed up for it. He 8 and loves it already. I am an avid shooter and always believe having your own rifle will help you in the long run. Let alone the Club has only 3 right now and they are old multi pump models.

So Which rifle to go with?
I've been looking at the Avanti 853 or 888. For a beginning shooter which would you recommend?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Between the two the 888 is the way to go.
Also look at a T200 ... a shortened stock is a bit lighter than the 888.

Shooting 3-P you want to stay away from a pump rifle, especially with the smaller/younger kids
montster

Daisy 99

Post by montster »

The daisy 499 might be better for an 8 year old to learn fundamentals of 3 position shooting. Weight and length are easier to manage. They are very accurate and the target distance is 5 m. These go for 100 last time I checked. Most 4H programs are tied into purchase program. Ask the coach what he recommends.

Later go with the larger rifle. Make the larger rifle an incentive for staying with it and achieving great scores.

It is hard for them to learn fundamentals of 3 position when struggling with weight.
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

Coach and the program are just starting. Heck the club only owns 3 rifles right now. So no matter what i get hell be getting one.

Im not to worried about the weight. He goes to the range with me alot and can hold and support the .223 that he shoots. (hes a big 8 y.o.) I think the AR would be lighter.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Stubs ... what City/State are you in?
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

Goodland, KS
Kansas guest

Shooting dad

Post by Kansas guest »

Stubs wrote:Goodland, KS
I'm am a instructor from NE Kansas, at 8 we start everyone with a 499b, you will find it is a good starter gun with a lot of competition in the state. It will help teach the basics and the stock can be modified to let him shoot through his age limit. We also weight them up to 5.5 pounds for more accuracy and a better feel. Listen to Jim Martin though, I have read his posts for three years and he has not led me wrong.

We let them shoot AR @ about 14 years old, more muture and they then have a better grasp of natural point of aim, range basics, and how to adjust their oun sights.

My own .02 cents, sorry Jim, feel free to contact me Stubs.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

The Air Arms S200 is approvied for 4H competition and is a good choice for the smaller shooters. If the are a bit larger please consider the Daisy 887. The stock is improved over the 888 and with a good trigger job [ contact our host] it is about as good as you can buy. Good Shooting Bill Horton
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Jim/James in ID is my brother.

In any case, if there is a good BB program, by all means take advantage of it .... rifles are lighter, they are cheaper, and ammo is plentiful.

The T200 w/ a cut down stock is good too, but it's considerably more expensive.

You kinda have to go with what it in your area though .... one of the biggest things in this sport is getting them shooting in competitions, if that's BB go with that, if it's air go with that.

Joel
jreh

Post by jreh »

I agree with jmartin, take advantage of what is available but get them shooting competiton. It seems to keep them from getting bored.

My daughter started shooting at 8 and was all but giving up until that 1st competiton. Now she is 10, has her own rifle (753) and lives for air rifle competiton in the winter.

This has also pushed me into the newest instructor in the Barton Co Air rifle program in central KS and I completely understand a programs limitations in running both an air rifle and BB gun set up. It takes time, money and effort and not every area has enough of each to do both. I know we do not.
mousehunter

Post by mousehunter »

Our club is different, so apples/oranges. We have about 100 kids in the fall and spring programs - We split them over 2 days, over beginners and experienced, and over 2 disciplines (either rifle/pistol in spring or rifle/shotgun in fall).

We do not teach with air rifles. Personally I think they are great to teach with, but do to our rural nature we find it simply easier to teach with .22lr. As such we use Savage Cubs for the kids too small for our smaller Anshultz.

That said, I have a young son (and slightly older daughter) as well, and want to use air rifles as a teaching tool for him. I sighted in two club 753's this weekend. My 13 year old daughter could have pumped it with difficulty. My elbow and shoulder were sore the next day (not hard to pump, but doing it a lot takes it's toll).

My Daughter has a Tau 200, My son has a 499 and will be shooting a T200S soon.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

jhmartin wrote:...In any case, if there is a good BB program, by all means take advantage of it .... rifles are lighter, they are cheaper, and ammo is plentiful.

Joel
Hi

Kansas seems to be the BB Gun Capitol of the free world. BB Gun was the reason that Kansas 4H started requiring a minimum score to go to the state match. There were just too many BB gun kids.

BB Guns are lighter, and cheaper. Let the kids move to AR when they can hold the gun up, don't set an age limit.

Later

Mike