conventional or pillar bedding

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Charlotte

conventional or pillar bedding

Post by Charlotte »

Two years ago I bought an Anschutz 1907 and it shot very well for half a season and immediately after shooting a personal best in a match I took the rifle on a business trip to practice dryfire in my hotel room. When I returned I reinstalled the regular firing pin and on my next shooting session accuracy was history. I'm assuming that something happened during the trip that compromized the bedding and I'm getting the rifle bedded to see if accuracy will return. The gunsmith is planning to pillar bed the action but mentioned that the steel lug in the stock that fits in the notch on the underside of the reciever would be removed in the process.
Anyone have any thoughts on this being OK or bad and should I ask for conventional glass bedding rather than pillars.
I realize that the guy doing the work is more knowledgable than me, but I'm a bit queasy about removing the steel lug.
Charlotte
an1913t

Post by an1913t »

Charlotte,

There are a number of good smallbore gunsmiths out there. You should try giving one or more a call. Jeff Madison and Kevin Nevius are names that come to mind. I don't have their contact info immediately at hand, but google will probably get you there.

I'm sure others on here can also provide some names of additional respected smallbore smiths. Any of these folks should be able to help you.

Carl
Guest_66

Post by Guest_66 »

Some say a recoil lug is not needed on SB rifles but I would never remove in any case. A good gunsmith should be able to make a new lug in the bedding process, and glue it in (mine did). See, if you remove it, your action screws will absorb the force, and that is not very good.

Post by Guest »

I have bedded numerous anschutz 54s, all with the recoil lug in place. You could allow the bedding material to form a 'lug' in the recess, but the recoil lug is helpful if locating the action in the stock, and is tougher than an epoxy lug.

-Mark Nations