Front sight inserts: Post type or aperture type

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

JJH

Front sight inserts: Post type or aperture type

Post by JJH »

Which one of a post type insert or a aperture type would the better option be to use as a front sight?

I currently shoot with a variable aperture front sight, but recently developed astigmatism in my shooting eye. I bought a second hand set of shooting glasses (Champion) and proceeded to have a lens made in my prescription.

Since starting to shoot with the glasses, my prone scores increased from +- 560/600 to +- 575/600, without the use of a shooting jacket.

Post by Guest »

Hard to say, everyone's eyesight is different. Why don't you just try it & see (no pun intended) what it does for you.
beowulf1730

lots of options

Post by beowulf1730 »

I much prefer an aperture apposed to a post my self. I shoot NRA 3P highpower and longrange matches and also CMP service rifle matches as well. I have always found i much prefer the sight picture I have with an aperture sight than a post. However there are many differnt holds you can have with a post that can help your score. You can have a Line of white, center or mass, or even a frame hold for instance. Some shooters who like a post have even gone to using a colored post and have said that that helps them. If you are more interested in using a post you might try looking at some service rifle forums for more information.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

just get an adjustable front appurature and be done with it
Barney

Post by Barney »

The post front sight works for Rajmond Debevec
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

I think that the post has real advantages offhand but it will take a lot of learning in the other positions - especially prone.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I started shooting NRA service rifle. I no longer do, and I will never willingly go back to a post front sight in a target rifle.
weilers

Post by weilers »

Have you considered using a rear aperture-equipped iris? While I'm no opthomologist, you may be able to get some benefit by moving the aperture location much closer to your eye.

What I am about to say I say with only the utmost respect for all involved: While it is true that Rajmond Debevec does use a post foresight, it is worth noting that he comes from a time and place where that was probably all that was available. To some extent, all shooters are creatures of habit. He's obviously better than good with the post so he sticks with it. Since options are so good now, and one has such choice, I'd consider trying to find an option similar to what you've been using.

I'm no salesman for MEC or Centra, but I do know that Centra does a lot of work with vision/sighting issues and they probably can help. Please let us know what you come up with-anything you find out that can help astigmatic shooters is worth knowing about.

Best of Luck to you
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

It may be a good idea to experiment with the front aperture ring sight 'thickness'.

Gehmann said the thicker the ring the less chance astigmatism will affect the sight picture. A very thin ring such as a 1.2 or 1.4-mm could distort. Try a 1.6 or even better a 2.0-mm ring thickness.

I use a 2.0-mm Centra ring because of my eye sight and it was suggested by my optomotrist, it works for me, but as every one is different it may not work for you. Give it a try.
There are ring thickening fore sights from Centra and Gehmann.

JSB
JJH

Post by JJH »

Thanks for everyone's replies. It seems to me that everything is relative to the shooters own preference. Shooting with the prescription lens has increased the sight picture dramatically.

I have given the reasons for the improved sight picture much thought. Firstly I considered what astigmatism actually does, i.e. due to the shape of the eye, light is not focused in the correct place and your sight blurs. To correct the light in the eye, I got prescription lenses. Second consideration then turned to what happens to the sight picture after the prescription lens. As the prescription is correcting the eye defect, everything after the lens should be "corrected". Yes, either the target or the ring will be out of focus, but this is the case with any shooter, eye defects or not. Anything more than this would be finding a solution to each individual's own preference and their own ease of sight picture, and will have to come with experimentation.

Will definitely be trying some of the advice posted. Not sure if using a rear iris will work, but I am going to try it never the less. Using a wider ring in front also sounds promising! I have a lot of experimenting to do...