Adjustable stock for winchester 52D clone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

10meter fan

Adjustable stock for winchester 52D clone

Post by 10meter fan »

My smallbore rifle is an H&R 12, which is a clone of a winchester 52. It's fairly accurate, but the ergonomics are really holding me back. Does anyone make an adjustable stock for a winchester 52? As an aside, are spacegun stocks or free-rifle stocks better for 3p? And would a spacegun stock be ISSF legal?

Thanks,
10meter fan
beowulf1730

What are you looking for?

Post by beowulf1730 »

what are you exactly looking for ina stock? I Don't know about the legality of a space gun design is ISSF shooting but Gary Elisio makes a tube kit for an ans action and might be able to do something for your H&R. Here is his web address.
http://www.competitionshootingstuff.com/id14.html

If you would like a more traditional stock lock at Master Class stocks.
Alex Sitman is one of the best builders in the game and will put any action you want into one of his stocks.
10meter fan

Post by 10meter fan »

what are you exactly looking for ina stock?
It should have a cheekpiece adjustable for height, it should have adjustable LOP, and it should have a butplate adjustable for height too. I'd also like to avoid a standard rifle stock if possible, so I'd like a flat forend. More adjustment would be better, especially the ability to compensate for cant, but isn't needed. I think the master class prone stock has what I need(Not sure how adjustable the 'plate is), but it's expensive.

Has anyone ever fit a winchester 52 to an anschutz stock? Right now this seems to be the cheapest solution other than designing something myself.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I put an Anschutz 1407 into a Winchester 52 free stock. I see no reason why you couldn't go the other way. If I remember correctly, the rear action screw went in the same hole, but the front one had to be redrilled.

Ben
10meter fan

Post by 10meter fan »

That sounds like the best option then. I'm not mechanically talented though. Would it be an easy task to make it fit? I'm assuming I'd either need to remove material from the stock or add material, right? And if so, what material to add?

Also, does anyone sell a 1913 or 1813 supermatch stock anymore? I checked champion shooters and champion's choice, could only find the 2213/2313 and 1918/2018 stocks.
Jose Rossy

Re: What are you looking for?

Post by Jose Rossy »

beowulf1730 wrote:If you would like a more traditional stock lock at Master Class stocks. Alex Sitman is one of the best builders in the game and will put any action you want into one of his stocks.
This is the route I would take.

I can vouch for Alex's work. It is superb.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

10meter fan wrote:That sounds like the best option then. I'm not mechanically talented though. Would it be an easy task to make it fit? I'm assuming I'd either need to remove material from the stock or add material, right? And if so, what material to add?

Also, does anyone sell a 1913 or 1813 supermatch stock anymore? I checked champion shooters and champion's choice, could only find the 2213/2313 and 1918/2018 stocks.
I don't remember exactly what I did, however, it will probably take some cutting and filling with bedding compoumd to get it to fit. If you are not "mechanically talented" it probably isn't a good first bedding job to try.
Ben
10meter fan

Post by 10meter fan »

I have someone who is mechanically talented that can help me, so I think I'm okay.

I thought I should ask something else before I upgrade the stock though. Does anyone make a good trigger (100-200 grams or less) for a 52? If not, would it be possible to install an Anschutz trigger? I figure that a good stock is worthless without a good trigger.
Rob Ouellette

M12 and 52D Differences

Post by Rob Ouellette »

10 Meter Fan,

I'm working on bedding a H&R M12 action into a 52D stock. There are many differences in the actions that didn't let the M12 have a drop in fit in a 52 stock. To get the M12 action to fit has taken a couple hours with a dremel and a lot of bedding compound. The main differences are:

Action screws have a different spacing, needed to drill a new forward hole.
Bolt handle clearance cut needed to be moved back.
Safety and bolt removal release levers needed additional clearance in the stock.
Receivers have different diameters.
Trigger group and guard sit lower from bore axis, M12 trigger guard sits 1/4" below stock when bedded.

I just wanted to give you a heads up on the differences to make sure you know about what is needed to fit the M12 into a 52 stock.

mcgeestocks.com web site shows H&R inletting for their Prone/Palma stocks.
10meter fan

Post by 10meter fan »

Rob,
Thanks for the heads-up.