problems with Wolff match extra

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

guidolastra

problems with Wolff match extra

Post by guidolastra »

I usually shoot Eley ammo in my Anschutz 1913, but it has been difficult to find recently.
I have been shooting with Wolff match extra, which I was under the impression is good ammo. I have had two misfires already in the last 3 months, and some times I find it a little irregular compared to Eley club or match Xtra.
I wonder if someone has had problems with this ammo, or I was just unlucky for some reason and I should keep trying...or may be switching to RWS or Lapua until Eley gets back...
tenring

Post by tenring »

I have heard its batch sensitive??? I shoot it regularly in my BR matches and win more with it than I do the Eley.. Maybe my batch was a good one. I had a similar problem with misfires as you, but with the Eley. Got new springs and no more misfires....I have the 1813.

Chad

Re: problems with Wolff match extra

Post by Guest »

guidolastra wrote:I usually shoot Eley ammo in my Anschutz 1913, but it has been difficult to find recently.
I have been shooting with Wolff match extra, which I was under the impression is good ammo. I have had two misfires already in the last 3 months, and some times I find it a little irregular compared to Eley club or match Xtra.
I wonder if someone has had problems with this ammo, or I was just unlucky for some reason and I should keep trying...or may be switching to RWS or Lapua until Eley gets back...
It maybe just the particular batch you have, but I have had misfires from almost every band of ammo. I have seen misfires from even Eley red box. I had two myself from just one box of 50 Tenex, which tells you that the odds of not getting a bad round is not good considering the millions of rounds manufactured during a process.
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

I understand your point, however I have never had a misfire using Eley Macth or tenex in more than 10 years of rifle shooting. It was just odd to have that experience with Wolf, since I understand it has a good reputation.
On the other hand, Wolf (even the most expensive one) has a very convenient price compared to Eley (Match Xtra and Tenex of course) so I though it would be a good alternative (in particular since Eley is difficult to find these days for some reason I do not understand). However, it is not really up to the standards of competitive ammo, it would be just a waist of money anyways.
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

I have been shooting Wolf - both Target and Match Extra - without misfires in both a 1913 and 2013. However, both rifles have had headspace, firing pins and springs checked. I recently tested 4 lots of ME at 50 yds. with the best lot producing a 20 shot group that measured about 14.5mm OTO. Not good enough for benchrest or ISU but OK for NRA. It's medium priced ammo and we probably shouldn't expect too much. But it should go off and I suspect that you have a rifle problem.
bugman

trouble with Wolff

Post by bugman »

I bought 2 cases of SK Match which is Wolff. I get one misfire and two to three very low shots in a box of fifty. Otherwise, very accurate ammo which I use for practice.
Quest1

Re: trouble with Wolff

Post by Quest1 »

bugman wrote:I bought 2 cases of SK Match which is Wolff. I get one misfire and two to three very low shots in a box of fifty. Otherwise, very accurate ammo which I use for practice.
I have bought perhaps around two dozen cases of SK or Wolf Ammo and out all those cases I have had less then ten dudes or misfires, whereas I had one box of 50 Tenex where I had three. This just goes to show you that even the best can produce batches that may not work well for various reasons. The groups I was getting from the SK at 50ft were better then the Tenex sample I had, so it was a no brainer for us to shot SK at $3-5 a box then $12 to $17 a box.
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

I also noticed occasional low shots : 2 (low nines) during prone my last training (60 shots) in addition to the misfire. I actually re-fired the latter, and ended up having a nine at 7PM I cannot account for. The execution was Ok, there was no wind or change in light.
I have not formally tested this ammo on my rifle, but my feelings are mixed: looks like a good ammo for 3p Training, the groups are not bad but once in a while you get a shot you cannot explain. But may be this ammo not so good for prone, since even in training I think it is important to know how you are scoring and you need to trust your training ammo...
The alternative is expensive, thought: Eley Match extra or team or club ? I do not even think about training with tenex...Way beyond my budget.
Mesa

Re: trouble with Wolff

Post by Mesa »

bugman wrote:I bought 2 cases of SK Match which is Wolff. I get one misfire and two to three very low shots in a box of fifty. Otherwise, very accurate ammo which I use for practice.
Mesa

Post by Mesa »

At LAR&R we call that the SK drop, 2 scoring rings down. After much testing and measuring no apparent reason was found for the drop. Never know when it is going to happen so a bit iffy to use in compitition, but great for pratice.
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

I've shot maybe 4 cases of SK/Wolf and the only ftf's I've ever had were from the bolt handle not being all the way down and I've seen other shooters have ftf's for the same reason. I have had a tendency to grip with my right hand high enough to make contact with the bolt knob and a very few times that has lifted the bolt handle enough to cause a light strike. When that happens now I just lift the bolt all the way up and bring it straight back down and shoot.