List of Free pistols at Fort Benning WC

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ghostrip

List of Free pistols at Fort Benning WC

Post by ghostrip »

1 EKIMOV Leonid RUS TOZ 35
2 SZARENSKI Daryl USA TOZ 35M
3 WU Jing CHN Morini CM84E
4 GONTCHAROV Vladimir RUS Morini CM84E
5 CHERVYAKOVSKIY Sergey RUS Matchguns MG5
6 ZHANG Tian CHN Morini CM84E
7 COSTA Joao POR Morini CM84E
8 ALMEIDA Julio BRA Walther/Hammerli FP60

Interesting. One MG5 and one FP60 in the final.
glr1

air pistols

Post by glr1 »

the finals seems to be dominated by steyr ,walther what happened to fwb?
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

FWB never had a free pistol if i remember correctly.
I just posted it because it was nice to see newer designs like MG5 and FP60 (both of them have common roots at SAM FP10) at a final where TOZ-Morini's dominate. Sergey also shoots a MG-1E for Air Pistol.
hhN

Re: free pistols

Post by hhN »

glr1 wrote:the finals seems to be dominated by steyr ,walther what happened to fwb?
The title reads FREE pistols at Fort Benning. Not AIR pistols.

FWB never had, and problably never will offer any free pistol.
Walther had one malign electric freepistol in the 1980s. One of the very worst ever.

Steyr had an unusual free pistol. It never gained any popularity, and I think, it is no longer offered from Steyr.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

Steyr no longer has it in their catologues. i have seen one in my country but never actually touched it .. it was a very weird looking pistol indeed
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

ghostrip wrote:Steyr no longer has it in their catologues. i have seen one in my country but never actually touched it .. it was a very weird looking pistol indeed
TargetShooting Canada have a picture and a few details in their Competition Arms Database.

Re: List of Free pistols at Fort Benning WC

Post by Guest »

ghostrip wrote:1 EKIMOV Leonid RUS TOZ 35
2 SZARENSKI Daryl USA TOZ 35M
3 WU Jing CHN Morini CM84E
4 GONTCHAROV Vladimir RUS Morini CM84E
5 CHERVYAKOVSKIY Sergey RUS Matchguns MG5
6 ZHANG Tian CHN Morini CM84E
7 COSTA Joao POR Morini CM84E
8 ALMEIDA Julio BRA Walther/Hammerli FP60

Interesting. One MG5 and one FP60 in the final.
Szarenski shoots a TOZ 35M? What does the M stand for? And what is the difference between them? The loading/unloading procedure looks like the one of a Morini or any similar gun but not like a TOZ.
Regards
Max
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

if my memory serves me correctly the most noticeable difference between the 35 and 35M is the shape of the trigger guard - the 35M has a larger trigger guard and more angular in shape. Also the 35M includes a band around the barrel near the middle and the 35M front sight also displays a band ( in 35 sight base was fixed to the top of the barrel). Daryl's free pistol from the pictures only is a modified 35M (the trigger guard shape is identical)

see here

http://www.shootingwiki.org/index.php?title=TOZ_35

Post by Guest »

ghostrip wrote:if my memory serves me correctly the most noticeable difference between the 35 and 35M is the shape of the trigger guard - the 35M has a larger trigger guard and more angular in shape. Also the 35M includes a band around the barrel near the middle and the 35M front sight also displays a band ( in 35 sight base was fixed to the top of the barrel). Daryl's free pistol from the pictures only is a modified 35M (the trigger guard shape is identical)

see here

http://www.shootingwiki.org/index.php?title=TOZ_35
But isn´t the cocking handle quite different from the usual TOZ 35 ones? As far as I know the position of the cocking lever is at the bottom of the grip, isn´t it?
Max
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

many have converted their toz from bottom to side. rink offers toz grips in either version (bottom, side)

Post by Guest »

ghostrip wrote:many have converted their toz from bottom to side. rink offers toz grips in either version (bottom, side)
Ah, that´s very interesting. And the conversion from bottom to side is done easily?
Max
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

you could try searching older posts for this
jipe

Post by jipe »

ghostrip wrote:I just posted it because it was nice to see newer designs like MG5 and FP60 (both of them have common roots at SAM FP10)
No, the FP60 is not derived from the Hammerli FP10 (which is a SAM design sold under the Hammerli brand name), it is a derivative from a real Hammerli design = the Hammerli 160, it has the same internal mechanism (trigger assembly, falling block breech assembly... spare parts have the same part number on the FP60 and 160) mounted in a new aluminium frame that is actually not as good as the steel frame of the 160.

The MG5 is indeed a derivative from a SAM design like the FP10.
mjmarz

steyr free pistol comments

Post by mjmarz »

It is an excellent pistol with very adjustable ergonomics. Grip is adjustable as is cant of sights. The sights are adjustable without having to change blades as to width and depth of notch as well as length of radius. It has very robust construction and most are with Morini grips. The reach is rather similar to that of a MG-5, ie shorter than with the TOZ therefore very suitable for shooters with smaller hands as is the MG-5. The trigger is also adjustable, as is the MG -5 in more planes than the TOZ. The big difference between the two is that the MG -5 is a bit lighter.

The down side of the Steyr is that there is no provision for dry firing.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

interesting about the FP60. perhaps i was confused by the holes for the counterweights that look like sam/mg ones. but it is nice to know that options do exist beside the morini/toz road