Kneeling problem, shots going left.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

10meter fan

Kneeling problem, shots going left.

Post by 10meter fan »

When I shoot kneeling with my air rifle, I can often see the sights going left immediately after or just as I take my shot, and this results in terrible flyers (sometimes even out to the 6 or 7 ring), and to compensate for this I use the trigger to move right, which also sometimes results in flyers, but not as many. I've ruled out the possibility that this is ordinary wobble, because it always wants to go left.

I've tried to get my NPA to the right by various means, but neither moving my hand nor moving my entire position to the right seem to work. Moving my right knee to the right seems like the best solution, (I'm right handed) but I've heard that's bad for smallbore shooting, and it doesn't work that well anyway. Is there any other good way to get my NPA to the right?

There's also a chance it might not be an NPA problem. When I use a shooting jacket and pants with grippy panels, it seems to go away, and when I put my sling higher on my arm it reduced the problem. Anyone have any idea what's causing this?
frog5215

Post by frog5215 »

Follow through.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

the trigger release in kneeling needs to be a suprise(sort of). when your wobble area settles down as tight as it will end up (ie 9 ring) you begin your trigger squeeze and VERY VERY gently let the shot go. more often than not the rounds will go in the 10 ring.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Sometimes if the length of pull is too long it can cause you to "reach" for the trigger, occasionally resulting in left shot, for right handed shooter, due to slight "shoulder flinch" when operating the trigger. What equipment are you using? Can you adjust lop?
10meter fan

Post by 10meter fan »

I think I found the problem. To keep my elbow from sliding, I had it positioned so that my arm pointed left, so if anyone else is having this problem, that's something to check.

Now, how do I make sure my elbow has a solid grip when my it's facing to the outside?
Follow through.
the trigger release in kneeling needs to be a suprise(sort of). when your wobble area settles down as tight as it will end up (ie 9 ring) you begin your trigger squeeze and VERY VERY gently let the shot go. more often than not the rounds will go in the 10 ring.
Combining these 2, should I keep pulling the trigger after the shot goes off in kneeling?

Sometimes if the length of pull is too long it can cause you to "reach" for the trigger, occasionally resulting in left shot, for right handed shooter, due to slight "shoulder flinch" when operating the trigger. What equipment are you using? Can you adjust lop?
I can adjust it with spacers. I think my shoulder tenses sometimes, but that happens in every position. I can, without changing my hand position, move my finger so that the joint on it is on the front of the trigger. Does that mean I'm not "reaching", or could it still be a problem?

Thanks,
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

If you get into the kneeling position and then let your right arm drop from the elbow, then bring it up to the trigger you should be able to reach the trigger without moving the elbow forward. You'll feel the shoulder move slightly forward if the elbow moves.

Are you shooting Precision or Sporter 3p Air? You cannot make lop adjustments between stages if shooting Sporter, so would need to find a good compromise for all positions.
10meter fan

Post by 10meter fan »

I'm shooting sporter.
yana

Post by yana »

I was always tought never to use the joint. Front part of the finger only.
Wether you stop the triggermovement or continue during follow through is personal.
You checked yr zero position?
Maybe yr sling is part of the cause, pulling the rifle off.
Where do you put yr elbow? The 3P guys use that 'hole'on the knee. That gives stability.
Yr right elbow, if rh, should be quite relax as well. As should yr right arm and left arm/hand.
yana

Post by yana »

Yr arm shouldnt face outside either. Should be about in line with the upper leg or slightly inwards, nót outwards. So I'd begin woth a general stance checkup.
10meter fan

Post by 10meter fan »

Right now my elbow is some distance behind my knee, so it won't slip.
The 3P guys use that 'hole'on the knee. That gives stability.
I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. Where is it in relation to the kneecap?

Yr arm shouldnt face outside either. Should be about in line with the upper leg or slightly inwards, nót outwards. So I'd begin woth a general stance checkup.
Do you mean where my fingers are pointing, or where my elbow joint is pointing? Right now my fingers are pointing to the inside and my elbow is pointing to the outside. I'm sorry if I'm not being clear about what I mean.
10meter fan

Post by 10meter fan »

Okay, I've got another update. The problem seems mostly gone, but
looking through a scope, I noticed I can easily hold the 10 ring, until I start to pull the trigger, at which point I want to go left. I really have to fight not to, and I'm also generally destabilised. What does this mean, and is there any way to keep my stability while pulling the trigger?
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

The fundamental for shooting from any position is to make sure you have correctly established you natural point of aim. You must not change any muscle tension except for the trigger finger and this is especially important for the hand ,arm ,and shoulder. Any change in tension any where in the part of your body that the trigger finger is attached to will cause the problems you have described. Stay relaxed and enjoy shooting tens. Good SHooting Bill Horton
robf

Post by robf »

feel what your body is doing at that point.

i had something similar in 10m standing that turned out to be a jacket pulling, which i was resisting until i relaxed on the shot, where it kicked in and moved me off aim.

a good honest look at NPA and inner position pointed me to the problem, but it took me to be honest with myself and not hold the rifle, but to let it come to a rest... as it couldn't come to a rest, it lead me to look at the support, which i then looked at without the rifle and found the problem.