Crosman Silicone Chamber Oil

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Xman

Crosman Silicone Chamber Oil

Post by Xman »

OK

I got it that Gamo oil is not suited for my IZZY.

Is Crosman Silicone Chamber Oil from the Pyramyd site OK to use?

It is a silcone oil like EVERYONE suggests to preserve seals and is NOT a petroleum oil that is harmful to airgun.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

That should be fine. You just need to avoid petroleum based oils in the presence of high pressure air. The silicone chamber oil is specifically designed for your application.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Xman:

Remember that the Crossman silicone chamber oil is for spring airguns...

You have to use the Crossman Pellgun oil for the IZZY...

Kevho

Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.
Xman

Post by Xman »

Kevin,

can you explain why the Crosman silicon chamber oil is NOT ok to use in in IZZY. It is silicon.

All I have read is what on this forum. Silicon, silicon, silicon, No petroleum, No petroleum, No petroleum.

So I have gotten the silicon. Now I read the THIS particular silicon is not good for my IZZY.

My brain is going around in circles here now. (sigh)
dflast

Post by dflast »

There's some crossed signals here about oil and airguns, because the reasons for choosing aren't the same for every variety of gun.

The big one is: dont use petroleum oils in spring-piston guns. When the piston is released the rapid pressure & temperature rise may cause "dieseling" or compression ignition of oil vapors. Many people have incorrectly generalized this to all airguns: SSP guns don't pump up fast enough to diesel, in an SSP, PCP or CO2 gun the charge temperature goes down in the shot process, and CO2 won't support combustion at all.

For the rest it really doesn't matter much whether you use petroleum or synthetic. The Crosman literature advises Pellgun oil rather than common gun oil explicitly because it's non-detergent: apparently it's the oil additives, not the oil itself, that cause seal deterioration. Synthetics are not necessarily better lubricants or any better for seal life than refined petroleum, though a case can be made that some synthetic oils and greases are less prone to deteriorate themselves in high-pressure air. In any case the seals won't last forever no matter what oil you use!

David
Rover

Post by Rover »

Don't use petroleum based oils in SSPs (such as your Izzy) for the SAME reason you don't use them in spring guns...dieseling. It can be very destuctive and WILL diesel in SSPs. (Don't ask!)

It is not a problem with PCPs or CO2 guns.
dflast

Post by dflast »

Aha! The Voice of Experience! I stand corrected.

David
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Xman:

The crossman silicone oil is a high flash point oil that is USED ONLY for
spring airguns that generate very high pressures and allow those guns to maintain their high velocities...

Let's just say that if you have dandruff, you use Head & Shoulders and not the normal shampoo...

Use crossman PELLGUN OIL! (Tom Gaylord recommends it.)

Kevho
Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.
Xman

Post by Xman »

Now is it that a some airgun silicon oils are more equal than others?? some are for spring air guns and some are not? some are for SSPs and some are not?

My SSP never diseled, I replaced a 10+ year old piston seal after loss of air pressure after charging and waiting a few minutes till shooting. Now with the new seal I want to lube it correctly as I was using GAMO Oil. FYI the old seal did display additional compression in diameter size as compared to a new seal.

Yes yes Pellgun oil is the MOST popular (hey, Gaylord recommends it). In lieu of getting Pellgun oil...

WILL CROSMAN SILICON CHAMBER OIL BE ACCEPTABLE TO USE IN AN SSP!.

Sorry for the caps but am getting more confused now than after my original post about Gamo Oil.
peterz

Post by peterz »

It is "silicone" oil; not "silicon." Silicon is an element; silicones are compounds.
joker

Post by joker »

From a purely mechanical perspective, silicone oil should never be used to lubricate metal to metal surfaces. It causes galling which is the transfer of the softer metal to the harder of the surfaces - it is very destructive. More damage is done by silicone lubrication than by no lubrication. Crossman Pellgun is not a silicone oil - it is a non-detergent mineral oil and is good for seals in CO2 guns and also will lubricate mechanical interfaces effectively.
dflast

Post by dflast »

So what are the long-term Izzy shooters out there using? Someone speak up!

If you've had a full ten years seal life with Gamo oil and no hint of dieseling, why fret? Apparently it works just fine. Technically, the big issue with springer and SSP lubrication is the flashpoint of the oil and what's safe in a springer will certainly be safe in an SSP. However, the SSP operating environment is less severe than a springer (hence my original post) and presumably there are oils that would be perfectly acceptable for the Izzy that you wouldn't want anywhere near a spring-piston gun.

I'd imagine that our host has more practical knowlege of what does and doesn't work for airgun lubrication than any of the rest of us. Scott, would you please weigh in on the subject?

David
Xman

Post by Xman »

Dflast

yes the seal was 10+ years old with no on stroke dieseling, but I was slowly losing pressure after stroking. After stroking and loading I was interrupted in firing about 1 1/2 minutes. When I then shot I got a low report and a 5 at 5:30 when the call was surely deep in the black. I charged again, waited 5 minutes, loaded and all I got when I pulled the trigger was "click".
dflast

Post by dflast »

Xman,

Ten years shooting before needing seal replacement seems pretty good! Pity us poor(?) PCP shooters who may be looking at programmed cylinder replacement at ten years....

My point was I don't think you can fault the oil here. Your seals are going to wear out eventually no matter what oil you use. Gamo/Pellgun oils are likely to be at the better end of the lubricant scale re seal life. Be aware that the silicone versions may give up some lubricating quality to obtain their detonation resistance.

David
knotty

Post by knotty »

Just as additional info i had looked on the Crosman Pellgun oil MSDS and found that it is truely just engine oil dyed red with a anit-wear additive. You can use plain 30 weight non-detergent engine oil in your SSP as a lubricant. It will not cause any detenation. Pellgun oil MSDS, http://www.crosman.com/pdf/msds/MSDS-PELLGUNOIL.pdf.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

dflast wrote:So what are the long-term Izzy shooters out there using? Someone speak up!
My IZH is five years old and the seals are in good working order. I have used Pellgun oil and I have occasionally used Beeman Ultralube. I believe the Beeman is a silicone oil. The key to lubing the IZH is to use minimal amount of oil. I put 1-2 drops of oil onto the piston seal every 1000 pellets and I put 1-2 drops of oil into the transfer port every 1000 pellets. Putting lube into the transfer port will lube the internal compression chamber seal. I know some people use MAC-1's Secret Sauce as a lubricant and speak highly of it.