Walther SSP .22 Vs Feinwerkbau AW93 .22

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dianne

Walther SSP .22 Vs Feinwerkbau AW93 .22

Post by Dianne »

I have been pistol shooting for about a year and am wanting to get a good target pistol (my main matches are sport pistol and rapid fire). I am having trouble deciding between the Walther SSP .22 and the Feinwerkbau AW93.

I have used the AW93 and don't mind it but I also hear good things about the SSP.

Can anyone offer advice?
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I was in the same predicament two years ago and purchased the Walther SSP. I'm glad I did. It's light, has a lot of adjustability, great sights and reasonably good trigger. I put a rink grip on it.

Post by Guest »

I had the AW93 but never really shot well with it - especially at 25 meters. Still I know that many shooters are fond of it. Try both and make your choice based on that.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I have owned both, and prefer the SSP for all of jbshooters reasons.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I was watching 2 international level shooters side by side last week.

One was using a CM22 and the other an SSP (fitted with the "flappy" pivoting barrel weight).

The difference in recoil movement was remarkable; the SSP only moving about a quarter as much as the CM22.

A downside to the SSP is the strip-down procedure. From what I saw you had to remove 2 similar looking (but different) screws, then use a special tool to remove the top section before removing 2 similar looking (but different) rods and springs. These all had to be put back in the original place. Needing to keep the sets separate is annoying but just about acceptable. Having to use a special tool however, IMHO, is totally unacceptable and shows lack of sense during the design process.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

David Levene wrote:I was watching 2 international level shooters side by side last week.

One was using a CM22 and the other an SSP (fitted with the "flappy" pivoting barrel weight).

The difference in recoil movement was remarkable; the SSP only moving about a quarter as much as the CM22.

A downside to the SSP is the strip-down procedure. From what I saw you had to remove 2 similar looking (but different) screws, then use a special tool to remove the top section before removing 2 similar looking (but different) rods and springs. These all had to be put back in the original place. Needing to keep the sets separate is annoying but just about acceptable. Having to use a special tool however, IMHO, is totally unacceptable and shows lack of sense during the design process.
Its really not as complex as it looks the two "similar" screws that you remove are the actual valves and are also marked very clearly. It can be taken apart without the special tool, the special tool just makes it much easier. I find it only a little bit more cumbersome than my GSP, which are probably one of the easiest guns to strip.

The recoil on the SSP is next to nothing, similar to shooting an old springer air pistol.

Now if I could only remove the removable rear sight ;0 It seems that somewhere it has become to this point anyway permanently affixed. The Walther rep had never heard of this happening, and was only familiar with them falling off. Oh well, I'm sure will get it off.

What is this flappy barrel weight that you speak of, is it an aftermarket piece? My factory weight goes on the rail and is bolted on.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Richard H wrote:What is this flappy barrel weight that you speak of, is it an aftermarket piece? My factory weight goes on the rail and is bolted on.
You can see it about half way down this page.

It weighs 140g and is pivoted around the back pin (the one at the curved end of the weight). It has 2 adjustments; 1 to change the spring tension holding the weight in the "closed" position and the other to adjust the amount of movement. I did take some photos oft the underside but they really just show the 2 adjusting screws and the fixing screw.

I believe that it was designed for the Rapid-Fire match but it certainly seems to work for Standard Pistol.
TheFrib

Pistol selection.

Post by TheFrib »

Same position for me. After trying many 22s for bullys shooting ,ruger mk2, S&W 22a, Sig Trailside, Beretta Neos, HS super citation. I recently purchased a Hammerli SP20. I haven't looked back!!! Because of a burn injury to my right hand the span between my thumb and 1st finger is only about 45deg. The larger frame pistols , I had trouble reaching the trigger.The target grips of the Hammerli fit perfect. Its easy to dismantle. The kick adsorption system is amazing!!! Not sorry!!!
TB

Re: Pistol selection.

Post by TB »

TheFrib wrote:Same position for me. After trying many 22s for bullys shooting ,ruger mk2, S&W 22a, Sig Trailside, Beretta Neos, HS super citation. I recently purchased a Hammerli SP20. I haven't looked back!!! Because of a burn injury to my right hand the span between my thumb and 1st finger is only about 45deg. The larger frame pistols , I had trouble reaching the trigger.The target grips of the Hammerli fit perfect. Its easy to dismantle. The kick adsorption system is amazing!!! Not sorry!!!
I am glad you like your pistol, but a Hämmerli SP20 and a Walther SSP have nothing in common, exept the fact that Walther builds and sells both.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

downside to the SSP is the strip-down procedure. From what I saw you had to remove 2 similar looking (but different) screws, then use a special tool to remove the top section before removing 2 similar looking (but different) rods and springs. These all had to be put back in the original place. Needing to keep the sets separate is annoying but just about acceptable. Having to use a special tool however, IMHO, is totally unacceptable and shows lack of sense during the design process.

In fact this couldn't be further from the truth. The pistol is cocked and the allen headed cap screw at the front of the pistol is removed, allowing the pistol to slide apart......thats how simple it is folks. As Richard pointed out, the two small round objects below the barrel at the front are pneumatic interchangeable valves, controlling the recoil. They are removed, and the special plastic tool inserted for the sole purpose of preventing the springs from popping out. And is undertaken if a complete clean involving the two rods and springs is required, or for an easier removal of the upper section , and is inserted if needed in a matter of seconds.
This would only seem an unacceptable design flaw when one has no understanding of the true operation of this pistol, or the purpose of the tool they for some reason called a special too instead of a spring retaining tooll.
From personally owning this pistol, I can assure anyone that the design is brilliant, and the easiest pistol I have owned when it comes to disassembly.
jipe

Post by jipe »

There is a major difference between the AW93 and SSP: the AW93 has a relatively vertical grip while the SSP has a raked grip as almost all modern pistols like the Pardini SP, Morini CM22M...

Usually, shooter who like a relatively vertical grip (shooters used to shoot big bore for instance) do not like a raked grip while shooters liking a raked grip (AP and FP shooters for instance), do not like a vertical one.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

There is a major difference between the AW93 and SSP: the AW93 has a relatively vertical grip while the SSP has a raked grip as almost all modern pistols like the Pardini SP, Morini CM22M...
There certainly is a major difference between the AW93 and the SSP......through the loosening of one allen screw on the SSP, the grip angle can be adjusted from vertical to raked, or anywhere in between...whereas the AW93 does not. The ball joint adjustability feature incorporated into the SSP allows instant adjustment in every direction, to suit all tastes, and is extremely ingenious.
jipe

Post by jipe »

deadeyedick wrote:
There certainly is a major difference between the AW93 and the SSP......through the loosening of one allen screw on the SSP, the grip angle can be adjusted from vertical to raked, or anywhere in between...whereas the AW93 does not. The ball joint adjustability feature incorporated into the SSP allows instant adjustment in every direction, to suit all tastes, and is extremely ingenious.
Are you sure that you can go as vertical as the AW93, what about the palm rest position in such a vertical position ? Rink has a special grip for the SSP that gives a less raked grip position.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Are you sure that you can go as vertical as the AW93, what about the palm rest position in such a vertical position ? Rink has a special grip for the SSP that gives a less raked grip position.
Hello Jipe. I haven't measured the exact angle in the most upright position against the AW93, but it is as vertical as I would care to go, and a long way from the most extreme raked position available. I however take your point that more modern pistols like the CM22, SSP and MG2 are definately more naturally biased towards greater rake angle. [of which I am grateful ]
The Rink grip with even less rake is I beleive, of even greater benefit to those shooting events other than issf.
Attachments
WaltherSSP.jpg
ssauer2004

Post by ssauer2004 »

Save yourself some money and buy the GSP Expert. Even Earl (importer) will steer you away from the SSP. You can't beat the GSP Expert.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

The SSP pic kinda reminds me of Mickey Thompson's Challenger trying for a land speed record towing a fifth wheel trailer
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Dianne, if you are a girl, as it appears from your name, you might be better off with the AW-93. I had a Walther GSP in the 1980's and hated it because it was so muzzle heavy. I don't think most women have the strenth in their wrist and hand to enjoy guns with the weight tilted towards the front. For me it is an issue I can do without. I have both an AW-93 and a Hammerli 208s and like both of them way more than the Walther, Isabel
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Nothing wrong with an SSP.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Buying a GSP in preference to an SSP makes no sense in any way, and the front heaviness of the GSP is nowhere to be found on the all alloy SSP.
The two pistols are worlds apart, and it is important for prospective buyers to know how 20+ years of development have distanced the old horse from the new.
ssauer2004

Post by ssauer2004 »

deadeyedick wrote:Buying a GSP in preference to an SSP makes no sense in any way, and the front heaviness of the GSP is nowhere to be found on the all alloy SSP.
The two pistols are worlds apart, and it is important for prospective buyers to know how 20+ years of development have distanced the old horse from the new.

Reliability was a major concern of mine. That's why I went with the GSP Expert. 3k rounds of jam free shooting. All brands of ammo have gone through it. Can an owner of an SSP say the same?