buttplates

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

gasmann

buttplates

Post by gasmann »

Thinking of replacing my buttplate with a multi-adjustable hook type plate. Any opinons on the Anschutz vs. the MEC?
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

well the new Anschutz (the one on the 9003 S2 Precise) is more adjustable. but the mec is very widly used.
matt
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

I take it by hook butt plate it's for smallbore
take a look at the HPS Gemini one as well, very adjustable. Colin
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Well I opted for the anschutz one, but I'm not saying it's the best. I tried a new rifle that had the MEC buttplate, and it looked more fiddly, but that could just have been a bad first impression.

If you're able to look at and try a selection, then see what works for you.

Rob.
robf

Post by robf »

good advice from rob, try a few.

but also have an idea in mind of what you are looking to improve upon.
Guest_66

Post by Guest_66 »

I like the Anschutz better, I think it is more "solid" construction.

I have also tried the HPS Gemini. It is VERY adjustable and nice. But it also has a lot of parts, that can untie... Not good during competition, belive me :) (Now I Loctite all screws.)

Also worth looking at is the Grunig Elmiger "Xtreme" http://www.gruenelshop.ch/ac_home.php?l ... &content=3

Looks really good.
BartP

Post by BartP »

Buy a buttplate you will use for life. One choice as far as I'm concerned:

HPS System Gemini Activ Free Rifle Buttplate

http://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/Buttplates.html

This system rocks. Period.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

robf wrote: but also have an idea in mind of what you are looking to improve upon.
Key point from RobF there - look at your objectives in getting a new butt plate. Presumably you want a better, more solid fit to you ? Adjustability is great but we pretty much set our buttplates and then just leave them. We don't very often need to fiddle about with them or change the settings.

Rob.
mdelco1

buttplate

Post by mdelco1 »

I was very disappointed with the MEC. The flanges will not reliably hold the weight of the rifle.

m delcottto
RobStubbs

Re: buttplate

Post by RobStubbs »

mdelco1 wrote:I was very disappointed with the MEC. The flanges will not reliably hold the weight of the rifle.

m delcottto
Not sure what you mean by 'flanges' but the buttplate is not meant to hold the weight of the rifle. If you mean the butt hook, that isn't either - it's purpose is simply to help locate the butt plate in the shoulder.

Rob.
DJP

Post by DJP »

Save opening a new post does anyone have any experience with the
TEC-HRO Butt Plates compared to the MEC ?

No luck trying either locally - I'm trying to correct that it feels as if the butt is moving in my shoulder, at present I'm using the standard plate for a FWB2700 in prone.

Thanks in advance
David
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Anyone ever used the System Gemini standard rifle buttplate for prone and 3P? I've used it for air rifle and I loved it, but wondering whether it might be an interesting idea to play around with it for prone and 3P, save some of the kit adjustment and fiddling. I know they market it as being good for both smaller and larger shoulders in particular (and I most certainly fit into the latter category). Just wondering whether anyone thinks it will fit well enough for prone. It looks like it'd be superb for kneeling, and I know it's excellent for standing.
mdelco1

mec buttplate

Post by mdelco1 »

roy,

let me try again

the adjustable wings located at the top and bottom of the buttplate that alter or determine the "curvature" of the buttplate as adjusted. If you rest the rifle on the buttplate(muzzle up), you risk losing your adjustments...If you tighten them too much you can easily strip the assembly....m
RobStubbs

Re: mec buttplate

Post by RobStubbs »

mdelco1 wrote:roy,

let me try again

the adjustable wings located at the top and bottom of the buttplate that alter or determine the "curvature" of the buttplate as adjusted. If you rest the rifle on the buttplate(muzzle up), you risk losing your adjustments...If you tighten them too much you can easily strip the assembly....m
OK understand that. Not quite sure why you'd ever want to stand the rifle that way up though. I store mine that way but the butt plate is taken off so it just rests on the flat wooden end of my stock.

No luck trying either locally - I'm trying to correct that it feels as if the butt is moving in my shoulder, at present I'm using the standard plate for a FWB2700 in prone.
Ask someone to help you test the fit - see if they can get there fingers around it when in position - if they can then perhaps the easiest approach is to slacken it all off and get into position, and get them to tighten it up in situ.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

The TECHRO is excellent, been using one since they came out.
weilers

Post by weilers »

I have a MEC buttplate on my 1907. I've been using it for a month or two and am very, very happy with it. Because it's so adjustable, it will take a while to get it where you want it. When it is in position, you'll wonder how you ever shot without it.
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

Edinkillie Sport Services, a UK firm, has the most complete selection of buttplates I've ever seen. The prices will knock your socks off. Maybe a little less over here because of the VAT in the UK. Some years ago I bought a Pedersen buttplate from Gunsmithing Inc. abut I don't know where to get them now. It's not as fancy as the modern models but it works and I suspect that it is a lot less expensive.