Standing position with FWB 2700 alu

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Victor

Standing position with FWB 2700 alu

Post by Victor »

I have big problems with my standing position. There is lots of vertical sway and I feel that my rifle too heavy. I have no extra weight. Do I need try to make rifle balance more backward? What you think? My air rifle´s balance is above the support hand and its very stable and it´s weight is about 5,480 kg
coolcruiser

standing with FWB 2700

Post by coolcruiser »

Victor, I shoot a FWB2602. Very similar gun with 24MM OD barrel. I agree that it is a heavy gun. The weight can work in your favor if you can handle it. A few points: 1. I run my buttplate at minimum length (out about 1/2") to move the center of gravity of the rifle closer to my body. 2. establish good shoulder contact with the buttplate and a good cheek weld too. 3. place supporting hand/arm very close to being under the balance point of the rifle. This will all help to support the rifle and avoid swaying. One more point...make sure you have established a good balance point for your feet ---forward and back. Close your eyes in position and see if you fall forward (fairly common). If you droop toward the target under the weight of the gun adjust your position to better support the gun with your bone structure...not muscles. Read "OnThe Training of Shooters" "The Way of the Rifle", "Airgun Shooting"... great books to help position shooters. HTH
CC
robf

Re: Standing position with FWB 2700 alu

Post by robf »

Victor wrote:I have big problems with my standing position. There is lots of vertical sway and I feel that my rifle too heavy. I have no extra weight. Do I need try to make rifle balance more backward? What you think? My air rifle´s balance is above the support hand and its very stable and it´s weight is about 5,480 kg
Can you not settle at all, even when not looking at a specific target?

If you can settle into a position, then that means you just may need to adapt it or the gun fit so that the position naturally points on target.

Although weight can be an aspect, , if you can't settle at all, it could be your position isn't adequate to start with or your gun fit is not allowing you to get into a good position.