i am just starting out..

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

compscotty

i am just starting out..

Post by compscotty »

I have made a decision to get in to competition hand gun shooting. I am very serious about this and want to make a good run at it. I am leaning towards the 50m free and rapid fire. I have been around guns my entire life so i am not that new. i even reload on a 550b.

What pistol should i get? i should just get the top of the line and not waste my time with cheaper pistols.

Should i get a standard pistol so i can use that for both the 50m free and the rapid fire?
Jimbo43

Post by Jimbo43 »

Definitely get the standard pistol, first, as you can shoot both matches with it. It is certainly possible to shoot 10s in Free with a standard pistol, however a dedicated free pistol can make things easier. You still have to aim and fire the thing so it is more a sense of removing the limits of the technical so that any flaws in performance can be attributed to the one true factor, yourself.
compscotty

Post by compscotty »

I agree i should get a standard pistol which will allow me to do more things including free shooting and even bullseye.

I live in Las Vegas, NV and there are no guys here that do that Olympic style shooting. Everyone here likes the practical shooting with military style weapons of warfare(Glock etc...). So i will have to travel to either Phoenix or to California to do any competitions like PTO's etc...

scott
Rover

Post by Rover »

Come on down!!!...to Phoenix Rod & Gun Club.

http://phoenixrodandgun.org/Divisions/P ... istol.html

We usually have some loaner stuff around to get you started.
compscotty

Post by compscotty »

ok guys help me buy my first standard pistol. What should i get? i might as well go for the top of the line, Morini, Pardini, FWB, Walther..
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Buy a basic .22 first - Buckmark, Ruger Mk2, etc.

Shoot sport pistol for a while, standard later.

Blag trials of other peoples match pistols, don't be shy about this, one day they'll be able to say 'I let the great compscotty try my pistol', thats payment enough.

Then figure out which matches you're going to shoot seriously, which for fun and learning and buy pistols accordingly.
Last edited by JamesH on Tue May 11, 2010 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The Ruger Mark IIs are easy to find, cheap, and can be tweaked for not much money.

You will be able to shoot Int. Standard Pistol, Free Pistol, and NRA .22 matches using the 5 1//2" barreled one.

While you are doing that you can look over and try the fancier guns until you find something you like. Then you can retire the Ruger to plinking and hunting out in the desert.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

compscotty wrote:ok guys help me buy my first standard pistol. What should i get? i might as well go for the top of the line, Morini, Pardini, FWB, Walther..
Purely personal preference but I am partial to the balance and recoil characteristics of the FWB aw93. I have a Morini air with electronic trigger, however for .22 I preferred the AW93 over the CM22. I have also found the aw93 to be exceptionally reliable. Did put a Nill grip on it tho.
steyrlp10

Post by steyrlp10 »

Congrats to the OP on entering the world of competitive shooting -- hope you have lots of fun and meet some new friends!