New here looking for a little a 10 meter air rifle advice..

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

New here looking for a little a 10 meter air rifle advice..

Post by Guest »

Been shooting 10 meter air pistols for about a year now and have decided that I would like to try my hand at 10 meter air rifle. I currently have an AA S400 MPR FT that I could dial down and put a set of sights on but prior to making that investment I thought I would get some input from those that have some experience either with using an AA S400 MPR for 10 meter shooting or just 10 meter rifles in general. To out fit my rifle with a front extension tube and a set of AA sights will run me about $130.00. Is that money well spent or money best saved towards the purchase of a true 10 meter rifle?

Thanks,
Darrell
peterz

Post by peterz »

I'm not anywhere near as experienced as a lot of people here, but I think I would opt for a match-legal 10m rifle so that if you were successful you would not have to change guns to compete. Might look for a good used CO2 gun or SSP.
checkenbach

Post by checkenbach »

How serious do you want to get, and what kind of venue will you be shooting it at ??? I compete in matches at our local sports club, used the club springers (Beeman R8's) for a while, figured springers weren't for me, went and bought an Anschutz CMP 8002 PCP rifle.
I used it for a year or so, and came to the conclusion that the gun was complete overkill for our club matches, and that I didn't have the time or energy to make full use of the wonderful goodness that is an Anschutz 8002.
I sold it to a gentleman on the board who could make better use of it than I to fund an AR.
I still compete in club matches using my brother's Beeman R7 just to keep in practice.
If I had to do it all over again I would probably get one of Jim E's FWB600's or an R7. SSP and springer guns are much cheaper than PCP guns, PCP guns are much less strenuous on the body.
If you are going to compete, buy the best gear you can afford.
If at all possible, go to a few club matches and see what you like, most will let you try their gear if you ask.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I shoot the AA 400 sporter for summer silhouette practice, and the Anschutz 9003 for a 10 meter league in the winter. Naturally a dedicated premium rifle, that is specific to the discipline is best. But, the MPR is no slouch, and it will provide legitimate feedback on your shooting skills. No doubt the MPR will hold the X at 10M. So in my opinion, shoot the MPR and enjoy the practice. As everyone says, skill is the most valuable asset in shooting. You earn skill with practice, and you can buy equipment later.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Darrel

There's a guy at my club using an AA MPR Precision fitted with the muzzle extension and extra muzzle weight. He also fitted an Anschutz tunnel fore sight and added a load of extra weight in the stock under the cylinder.
To cut a long story short, he did not spend much but his scores are averaging 570, which is pretty darn good for a 'cheap' match air rifle.
I have loads of respect for the MPR.
JSB
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

Depends what's important for you and performance level. I shoot AP, but have played around with rifles a bit. I've comoe across som second hand rifles with diopter included, I've got a couple of Walther LGRs (single pump) and a CG90 (CO2) that cost me about 300 $ each. These were world class a few years ago. A PCP match rifle will be twice a as much. Last night I did some practice shots with my old HW 50 low power break barrel. I've mounted a good peep sight, and it's got a pretty decent trigger. At present I don't need or deserve anything better, and wouldn't improve my score much with a "real" match rifle, so this may be the way to go if you're not getting deeply involved. I've also got a similarly equipped Diana (=RWS) mod.34. A second hand rifle can be traded in without loss if you decide to upgrade....... if I ever sell mine, I won't lose much money if I keep the sights!

OTOH some "sporter" PCPs have matchgrade precision, so then you'll just need to check if they fit the rules.
Rover

Post by Rover »

There are plenty of FWB 300 and Walther LGR rifles floating around for not a lot of money. They were the hot item once upon a time. They didn't turn to crap overnight.

I would buy one of those and keep your other gun as is.
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

I've benchtested 3 Walther LGRs, 1 FWB 300, 1 Diana 75, and 2 Walther CG 90s. They're all "vintage" and they all shoot single hole 5 shot groups at 10 meters. With a scope at 20 meters they also mostly produce simliar results, and they're good enough to tell the difference between different grade pellets. Only handicap is having to pump between shots or get hold of bulk CO2. Ergonomically they're all just fine. If you ever want sell them , you'll normally get your money back.
tk1st

Post by tk1st »

I bought a a/a mpr 400 from champions choice last summer and am very happy with it its shoots much better than me "a newbie", planning on useing
for s/r practice and nmar match rifle class, it did come with the sight extension tube, in which I would recomend , but I would not recomend
the a/a sights, I replaced them with a gehmann 590 rear with 510 iris
the front an anschutz 6832 a little more costly but worth it
hope this helps, and good luck
Tom

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the info guys I have not yet decided which way to go but you input is appreciated. By the way sorry for the late response, work was crazy week before last and I was on vacation last week.
KAZ

Post by KAZ »

You are going to have a lot of fun! I acquired a FWB 300S due to some of the same recommendations that have been posted here, and was astounded with the quality/performance. Regards