FWB 700 versions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mhkhung

FWB 700 versions

Post by mhkhung »

It seems that the price of Universal and Evolution Top is similar.. other than that one is wood and the other is aluminum, what are the differences?

Which one should I get given the two are so similar in price?

Thx
-M
peterz

Evolution Top vs. Universal

Post by peterz »

I'm trying to make that decision this week! Since the barrelled action of the Evo-Top uses an aluminum shroud vice a steel one, it is considerably lighter, something important to me. The barrelled actions are otherwise identical, but the Evo-Top comes with the ability to raise the sightline, and even to displace the sights laterally in its base price. The pistol grip is wood, but not terribly anatomic. However, for the price of the top-end model's pistol grip, you can swap that out and get what is in effect a reduced weight 700 ALU. The cheek piece on the Evolution (not the Evo-top) is plastic if you read carefully. I wouldn't want plastic against my cheek, esp not in summer.

-pete
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Peterz

I have been looking at the Evo 700 and the price difference is not that much less than the 700 alu. I'm just not sure what FWB are playing at here. I guess you could fit the high end grip etc, but that increases the cost. I see the advantage of the Alu barrel shroud for younger shooters or some one that likes a lighter rifle. Even the butt plates are different from the regular Evo and Top Evo. I don't think this new rifle is going to win over many shooters.
I wish FWB would drop the trapezial sight raising system which looks ugly and cannot be fine tuned, and supply a raising system like the Steyr LG-110.
JSB
mhkhung

Post by mhkhung »

Just for the record, the ALU is approx US$3000, EVO-top is about US$2300, Universal is $2000. So the ALU is quite a bit more expensive. And the universal seems to be quite a good deal.

http://www.euroshooting.eu
ALU: 1849 Euro
Universal: 1319 Euro
Evo Top: 1499 Euro
mpr1tbr1

VAT and the EURO

Post by mpr1tbr1 »

Just for the record, I have bought from http://www.euroshooting.eu, and you are forgetting Europes Value Added Tax. Posted prices include that tax which is deducted when a purchase is shipped outside the EU. So an ALU: at 1849 - 19% Vat = 1498 X 1.36 (aproximately) or $2037. A Universal would be about $1453 and a Evo Top would be $1651. It's been about two years since the last rifle I bought from Varga, so you will have to check the VAT, it can change. Shipping ran a little over a hundered and the wire transfer to his German account cost an extra $40. If you can aford a Universal at $2,000 you may be able to aford more rifle than you think. I hope this helps.

Mike
peterz

700 prices and versions

Post by peterz »

Did you have to pay US Customs duty, and if so, how much?

Also, right now the Euro is in the tank; could be a percent or five cheaper yet.

--pz
randy1952

Re: FWB 700 versions

Post by randy1952 »

mhkhung wrote:It seems that the price of Universal and Evolution Top is similar.. other than that one is wood and the other is aluminum, what are the differences?

Which one should I get given the two are so similar in price?

Thx
-M
The Universal is wood and is more steel parts versus aluminum parts for the Evolution. The stock on the Evolution is also cut out holes on the sides of the stock to save weight. The adjustment on the Top stock such as the butt plate and check piece are manually adjusted versus the knob adjustments on a regular stock. However, you can get a regular P700 stock with all bells and whistles with an Evolution TOP barrel and action for about $2137. The regular P700 is about $2400. I think the Top Evolution is a little over $1900.

You can check the prices at International Shooters Service in Texas. We just bought an Evolution Top from him a week before FWB dropped the prices on their air rifles. He is also the only dealer I know that is willing to get the Evolution Top barrel and action in a regular P700 stock.

From my perspective, the only reason to get the Evolution Top over the regular P700 is to save weight the length is almost the same the length of pull can be adjusted about .25 inches shorter. I have gone through the importing the rifle myself and I used to save money doing this, but the last time I did it a few years ago I didn't save a thing after I paid all the money exchange, import, and shipping fees.

You can email me if you have any other questions.
mpr1tbr1

Checked the VAT

Post by mpr1tbr1 »

There was no customs charge on my Styer. Maybe because the US doesen"t build Olympic quality air guns, or maybe they just missed it. In any case I checked the VAT this morning, and VAT is now 20%, so take another 1% off the price.

Mike
randy1952

Re: Checked the VAT

Post by randy1952 »

mpr1tbr1 wrote:There was no customs charge on my Styer. Maybe because the US doesen"t build Olympic quality air guns, or maybe they just missed it. In any case I checked the VAT this morning, and VAT is now 20%, so take another 1% off the price.

Mike
You where probably lucky and they missed it, because they certainly didn't miss the custom charges on mine.

Randy,
mhkhung

Post by mhkhung »

I ended up getting a 2nd hand 700 universal (from a Canadian dealer). The Canadian imports have factory issued certificates that the air guns were fixed at 495 fps by the factory such that it is not classified as firearms.